‹ Prequel: Is He for Me?

He Has My Heart

Chapter Five: Sins in the city

Rileys POV

"Okay, remember when I broke down about having a hard time trusting people?"
Ashley nodded as he joined me in bed.
"Well, I never said that my mum was murdered" I said looking at my hands.
His eyebrows shot up. "Well it explains why you were so scared."
"Yeah, umm, they were former partners of my dads. That's why I thought they would come back for us."
I had never told Ashley about my dad being a drug dealer. I watched his face as I told him the whole story. About what happened when he left the business and everything that happened between that and my dad committing suicide. When I was done I looked up at his face and looked troubled.
"I'm so sorry for bringing you here" he said taking my hand.
"It's okay, it's just hard. If only these walls could talk" I said looking out of the bedroom door.
"You don't think they are still after you do you?" Ashley said stroking my hand with his thumb.
"I don't know. I just always felt that if they stumbled across me they wouldn't hesitate."
"This explains a lot about you. I mean, the anxiety, trust issues. Why didn't you tell me any of this before?" He said kneeling in front of me.
"Because I was ashamed. Its not the first thing I like to tell people about. Yeah, I got myself out and I'm okay now, but it wasn't easy."
Ashley sat back down next to me and hugged me tightly. "Thank you for telling me."
"Do you mind if we go see my mothers grave tomorrow?" I said looking up at Ashley.
"Of course Riles" he said hugging me tighter.

My mothers tombstone was done it black marble and was quite thick compared to the other tombstones. Almost like a box. In gold writing it read:
'Nora Mitchell. Loving wife and mother'
I felt a tear slid down my cheek. I was screaming within myself.
I'm so sorry mom! I never wanted any of this for you. I'm sorry I never came back, I'm sorry I couldn't look after dad! I never wanted the same fate for him. Please! Forgive me!
Ashley placed flowers in the vases provided on either side of her grave. He looked back at me and looked concerned.
"Riley, whats wrong?" He said holding my shoulders.
I looked up at him, but I couldn't speak. It felt like my insides were shifting. My heart was tearing in two, my lungs felt heavy, like there was water in them.
"Riley, breathe, I'm here, its okay" he said trying to soothe me.
I took a deep breath to calm myself.
"Riley, don't think about the bad in this. Think of the good. Think of how proud your mom would be of you. How far you have come. You made something of yourself! You got out of this town and did something with your life. Don't you dare blame yourself about your dad. You tried, you helped him, but at the same you had to take care of yourself" he said looking into my eyes.
He was right though. I smiled at him and I saw him physically relax.
"Thank you Ash. I love you."
"I love you too" he said kissing my forehead.
We left the cemetery hand in hand and headed home to get ready to hit the town tonight.

Ashleys POV

The taxi dropped us off at Caesars Palace. I thought me and Riley could use a night out. Everything had been so emotional for Riley since we got here and we needed to let some steam off.
"Okay, we are drinking tonight. You are not going to worry. You're going to have a good time. Are we clear?" I said holding her shoulders.
"Yes Ashley, I will" she said laughing at my serious face.
Finally, we could have some fun. We gambled, won some money, lost some money, then won again. Had a couple drinks. I barely noticed how late it was getting.
I was at a table playing black jack. I had a good hand and was on a roll.
"Hey Ash, I'm going to get another drink, you want?"
"Ahh, yeah, whiskey on the rocks" she kissed my cheek and left.
After 20 minutes of playing I folded and took my winnings. I left the table and realised that Riley never came back with drinks.
I immediately thought the worst.