‹ Prequel: Is He for Me?

He Has My Heart

Chapter Seven: Hope

Ashleys POV

I went back down to the lobby. Maybe I could convince Lena to let me see Riley. Maybe if I told Riley about the missing safe it would jog her memory.
I stopped short at the last corner before the front desk when I heard voices.
"Tyler, the boyfriend is onto us. He knows about Christina" Lena said, sounding very worried.
"Don't worry about it. Whats he going to do?" I heard him say.
I peeked around the corner and saw him hugging Lena. This guy knew where she was!
I rounded the corner and made myself known.
They both gave me death stares for interrupting a private moment.
"I need to talk to Christina!" I demanded.
"And what makes you think we'll let you?" Tyler scoffed.
"Cause I found something that might jog her memory. I promise this could help you!" I could hear the desperation in my voice.
They exchanged a look. "What did you find?" Lena asked.
There was a long silence, but telling them might be the way I can help Riley.
"There's a wall safe missing. It's small, but quite deep. It was in the master bedroom closet" I said reluctantly.
Tyler was on his phone instantly, muttering something under his breath.
Lena smiled sickly at me. "Thanks Mr. Purdy. This might move things along."
Had I really helped her? I was going to be sick.

Rileys POV

Tears streamed down my face. I couldn't help these people. I was going to die.
I don't remember ever hearing my dad talk about stealing money, but this happened before my mother died.
I was naive. I didn't know anything. They shielded me from that world as much as possible, well my mom did. When she died, I remember my dad going through every inch of our apartment, making sure nothing was left behind. I remember he worked very closely with designing my mothers grave and tombstone.
My thoughts trailed off when I heard the door was being unlocked.
I quickly sat up as best as I could and rubbed my shoulder across my face to wipe away the tears.
Tyler pushed the door open and shut it again when he was inside.
"Looks like someone actually gives a fuck about you. Mr. Purdy found something that might jog your memory" he said calmly.
"What do you mean Ashley found something! Is he okay? What have you done to him!?" I screeched.
"You better shut up right now, or I'll make sure something does" he yelled and came over to slap me again.
I stayed quiet and shrunk back into the corner. At least I knew he was okay, hell, he was trying to help me.
"He said something about a safe that used to be in the master bedrooms closet. Do you ever remember seeing anything?" He said sharply.
I thought back. I think I remember seeing one. It clicked in my head, but I didn't want to tell him.
"I might remember. I want to talk to Ashley."
Tyler left without saying anything. He locked the door again.
What the hell was he doing.

Ashleys POV

I was back in the hotel room. Frantically packing everything. God Riley had so much stuff!
There was a tough rapping at the door.
I hurried to open it and saw the man that was talking to Lena. Tyler stood tall in my doorway.
"Can I help you?"
"Yeah, you get what you want" he said as he pulled out a long piece of think black fabric and covered my eyes.
"Now, you are going to cooperate otherwise Christina suffers the consequences" he said sharply as he grabbed my wrists and wrapped another piece of fabric around them tightly.
I felt him walk me into the elevator and exit a minute later. I don't think we were in the lobby.
He guided me down a few hallways and a couple flights of stairs.
This means Riley is somewhere in this hotel. I tried to remember each turn we took so I could try and find her myself later.
We stopped suddenly and I heard a door unlock.
"You've got ten minutes!" He said removing my blindfold, but leaving my hands tied and pushed me into the room.
"Ashley!?"
"Oh my God Riley! You're okay! I thought I lost you! I'm so sorry, I should have listened to you! I wish I never brought you here!" I felt myself getting choked up. I collapsed into her, hugging her as best I could.
"Ash, its okay, I'm okay. I can't believe he brought you to me. Where am I?"
"You're in the hotel. Pretty far underground. Oh my God! What happened to your face?!" I said gently touching her cheek.
"They slap me when I get out of line. Ashley, they keep talking about money that my dad stole. I didn't know at first, but they said you found out something about a safe?" She said looking hopeful.
"In the closet, there was a safe, but it's gone. Its small, but quite deep. Do you have any ideas where it could be?"
"I think I do, but wait till tonight, you can't let them know where you're going. I need you to do this."