Psych Ward Stories

Payphones and Patients

My new room was shared with another girl, a level 4. She was nice. “How are you holding up?” I sat on my newly made bed and criss-crossed my legs, “I'm okay. It's a lot to take in. I met a girl named Christy and she was nice. You're nice too.” My roommate, Danielle, began to laugh, “Oh Cristy. She's crazy, you know. She made it all the way to level 4 and ate a magnet.” She shook her head as she laughed. “Yeah, she told me about that. I guess everything is okay. I'm excited I get to have visitors, but I can't call my boyfriend and tell him,” I told her.

Danielle crinkled her eyebrows, “Have you not had your free phone call yet?” I shook my head. “Here, take these four quarters,” she said, pulling change out of a sock. “Really? Are you sure?” I didn't feel comfortable taking her money. “Yes, I'm sure. Call your boyfriend. I'm sure you'll feel much better when you get to visit him.”

I almost cried. It had been so long since I'd seen him. I was excited to finally get to see him. The phones were along a wall by the entrance. None of them were in use, so I quickly dropped the quarters in and dialed his number. He was upset that they moved me again, but his happiness overpowered that. He told me he'd be with me as soon as possible.

Until that evening, I sat at a long table and colored by myself. That's when I met Corinna and Samantha. They were roommates in another wing. Corinna was my age and small. She had tattoos and laughed at everything. She asked me how I ended up there and I told her. She empathized with me and told me her story. Samantha came up and introduced herself. She was an older lady and seemed lost. She clung to Corinna's side always.

Dinner came at 5pm, just like the other hospital I just spent too much time in. Our trays were measured when they returned for a percentage of how much was eaten. Soon, it was time for visitors. I watched the clock, waiting.