Psych Ward Stories

Anger and Seizures

He said he wouldn't be able to come in the evening, and my heart broke. I wanted him every second I could have him. It wasn't fair. I sat, depressed for the rest of the day. When it was time for visitors to come, I ended up having an unexpected visitor.

To be honest, I was angry he showed up. He caused so much turmoil in my relationship. “You shouldn't be here,” I told him. “I've been worried about you. I just wanted to see you. Can we talk?” He looked like he'd been crying. I didn't want to make anyone cry, so I said, “sure.” He sat down and talked to me about what life had been like for him since he found out I got taken away. “Everyone at work misses you,” he said. I didn't miss them. He asked if I was doing okay. I tried to assure him that I was fine.

That's when my boyfriend showed up, and he was pissed. “You need to leave,” he told my unexpected visitor.” He remained seated, “I'm not leaving unless Candice wants me to.” I was honest, “You should go.”

“I can't believe you let him sit here,” my boyfriend said, “I should leave too.” I jumped to my feet and grabbed his arms, “Please, Harry, don't go. He just wanted to make sure I was okay. I should have told him to fuck off. I was being nice. I'm sorry. Please stay. I love you. I've missed you.” After a few minutes, he calmed down and sat. We talked, but he was still mad.

The topic of the day the ambulance came was brought up, “I followed the ambulance as close as I could.” I imagined him in his car with his eyes glued to the truck, hoping that I was going to be okay. “Suddenly, it stopped. In the middle of the road,” he said, “It was stopped for a little while and then it sped off toward the hospital. I was so worried. They said you had a seizure or something. Some kind of reaction to what they gave you.” I didn't remember being given anything, but I guess that explains why I blacked out.

We exchanged hugs, kisses, and “I love you” before he had to leave again. Samantha and Corinna asked if everything was okay. I told them it was fine and went to bed. That night, I had nightmares about seizures.