Psych Ward Stories

Big smiles and Loud Words

I saw my social worker and my doctor the next day, finally. I got that free phone call and used it to call my boyfriend again. “My social worker says he thinks I'll be going home soon,” I had excitement in my voice. “Really? That would be great. Do you know when?” He asked. I didn't have an exact answer, but soon was good for me. My doctor told me I didn't need medicine anymore and she didn't understand why I had to be hospitalized in the first place. That was great news.

There was an underlying depression that I had been suppressing since my arrival, but I didn't want anyone to know that. Having to have another diagnosis would be miserable and then having them stabilize me on new medicine would have sucked. I wanted nothing more than to be left alone and sent home. I did everything I could to be polite. I made sure to eat the food they gave me, follow the rules, and to act like I was fine.

When I went back out into the main room, Corinna had a big smile on her face. I sat down beside her to hear what she was so excited about. “I just had my meeting with the doctors and social workers and they are releasing me tomorrow!” She was hopping up and down on the bench. I was happy for her, but jealous at the same time. We gave each other our phone numbers so we could be friends on the outside.

Samantha wasn't as happy as Corinna. She was losing her roommate and friend. Samantha was the type of patient that would have to stay for the full amount of time and be moved to another hospital when her time was up. Corinna seemed to be a light in her life. I made sure to stick by her side while I could.

About an hour before lunch, I heard a loud and excited voice. Before I could turn to look, Christy was sitting next to me with her pile of coloring books, “Hi Candice! Long time, no see, right? I'm still level 1, but they let me come out here for a little while. I still have to have lunch in the small room, but I'm excited I can come out here and be with you guys!” Corinna and Samantha looked at each other quietly. Christy did most of the talking. I decided to go over to the payphones and call my mom and sister. Just talking to them would be a nice change from crazy Christy.