Psych Ward Stories

Plans and Pads

That evening, my mom came. She hugged me. Her eyes looked red. It was weird to think about my mom crying. She asked a lot of questions, but I didn't feel like answering. I just told her that I would be out soon.

Just as I was about to go crazy from too much time with my mother, the door opened again and Harry entered. I jumped to hug him. He saved me! I couldn't be happier to see him.

Oddly enough, that was the moment he and my mom met for the first time. My mom was bitter, but she warmed up to him, slowly. We made plans together to go to her house for Thanksgiving if I was out of the hospital by then. I thought that was nice.

I felt tired after our visit. Unusually tired. I had to wait for meds and vitals to be over before I could go to sleep, but I passed out right as I got in bed that night.

The next morning, I was still incredibly tired. I got in the shower in an attempt to get myself awake. That's when the sharp pain hit me like a knife in the stomach. “Oh god,” I groaned, “Not here. Not now.” I reached town below the pain belt. When I brought my hand back up, there was blood. I cleaned myself extra hard and picked up a pad from Danielle's stash. I hadn't worn a pad in years. It felt like a diaper. At least I wouldn't have to bleed everywhere.

Bed was the only thing I wanted. I curled up in it until it was time for breakfast. Corinna was excited all morning. She brought out her huge paper bag full of her belongings and stripped her bed. Samantha was extra depressed that day. I had to remind her that it was good to be happy for Corinna, even if we were sad.

We said goodbye to our friend right before lunch. I was still in excruciating pain, but I had my visit to look forward to.