Psych Ward Stories

Music Room and My Paper Bag

Group this time was with Danielle. We went with two other girls into the music room where a therapist walked us through a breathing exercise with music. Danielle and another girl decided to lie on a mat on the floor while the other girl and I sat on the giant couch. We closed our eyes, listened to the music, and followed the breathing instructions.

It was relaxing until the door opened. Light poked in and Danielle was called out for release. I said goodbye to her, even though I was feeling jealous. There was no reason to be jealous. I was leaving too...eventually.

After group, I sat on the couch with Christy and Samantha and the crazy old lady that liked to yell. “Be safe out there,” Samantha told me. Her eyes drooped and the corners of her mouth struggled to form a smile. “I'll miss you!” Christy yelled, wrapping her arms around me and squeezing me. The old lady just laughed.

My last name was called by my doctor with a smile, “Do you have your things ready?” I was light on my feet again and pointed toward my paper bag, “I'm ready!” Off we went, to the room where I first came into the hospital. The jolly nurse was there, behind the desk. She smiled at me and gave me papers to sign. I had to promise to go to the clinic. If that was all I had to do to get out, I was going to do it.

Bag was packed, papers were signed, and a promise was made. The jolly nurse led me to the waiting room where Harry was sitting patiently. His face lit up when he saw me. I ran to him and squeezed him, “Freedom!”