Psych Ward Stories

A Wheelchair and a Broken Heart

The third day was exciting. The nurse said three days, and I was ready to finally go home. Routine was normal. Breakfast, TV room, lunch, phone call, TV room, dinner. I didn't make it to dinner in the dungeon that night. Instead, I was met with another wheelchair. My ride out of this place!

I got in, excited to be leaving. I was wheeled into an area of the hospital that I didn't know. There were more or less than ten rooms lined along the perimeter. In the center, there was a nurse's station where three or four nurses sat at computers. There were others tending to patients. “What's going on?” I asked while the nurse gave me a change of clothes along with a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. “We are holding you here until a space opens up for you.”

What?

“What? I thought I was going home,” I told her, desperately. “That depends on the social worker. I can't release you even though you seem fine.” Tears pooled in my eyes, “Can I have visitors?” The nurse shook her head, “I'm sorry, honey. You can use the phone if you want. No visitors.” The tears fell.

I changed clothes and cleaned up. I was given dinner and then I went straight to the phone. These nurses were more strict about phone time. It annoyed me. I was alone in a hospital and they wouldn't allow me the comfort of hearing the voice of my loved ones. I called my boyfriend and told him what was going on. He sounded as annoyed as I was. He also told me to call my mom. I did, and she was worried. She was upset about me not being allowed visitors, but I told her I'd be out soon.

The nurses told me to get off the phone. I went to bed.