Tales of Symphonia Story, Tethe'alla Chronicles (3)

The New Symphonia Story 57

QUIZ START: The flight to the base took no time at all,
"I'll wait here." Mithos asked, "I want to be alone for a while."
"Mithos..." Genis started regretfully,
"Ah, no," Mithos assured with a weak smile, "It's not about the flute. I'm sorry."
"...All right." Lloyd agreed reluctantly, "It's dangerous, so don't leave this area."
"I won't." he promised,
"Then while we're at it," Raine suggested, "Lets return the Rheaird that Mithos borrowed."
"...What?" he seemed slightly confused by the offer, however he quickly came back to his senses, "Oh, yes. Please do." You all walked into Yuan's base, and were escorted to his office by a Renegade. Upon entering you see him sitting there, he was just as serious as ever.
"...You're back." he said, he nodded slightly towards you,
"Yuan...Botta is..." Colette started,
"...He died." Yuan finished
"Yes..." Lloyd admitted, "He asked us to tell you that he completed his mission."
"I see..." Yuan mumbled, "Then we'll activate the dimensional transfer system. You may go between the worlds as you like."
"Is that all you have to say?!" Lloyd demanded, "Botta gave his life for the Renegades and...."
"Lloyd-- stop!" you interrupt, voice raised slightly,
"Ah--...Aura?" he looked at you, surprised by your outbreak,
"......"

"Yes," Regal agreed seriously, "...It is not our place to speak."
"This guy has been with that Botta for a long time." Zelos agreed, "Nothing we say will make a difference. Besides, I don't like hearing my beautiful silver maiden have to raise her voice, mm?"
"Uh..."
"What did you call her?" Yuan demanded, looking at Zelos angrily,
"Uh-- I mean... I don't like hearing Aura have to raise her voice."
"I thought so." he grunted,
"Yeah...alright." Lloyd agreed, "Fine."
"Oh, yes, I almost forgot." Raine said, turning to Yuan, "Our companion borrowed a Rheaird from you, so we'll return it to you now."
"Borrowed one of our Rheairds?" he asked, "We haven't...." the half-elf trailed off. He seemed slightly puzzled,
"What's wrong?" Presea asked,
"...No, it's nothing." he responded, shaking his head, "We'll take care of it." he stood, "Ask the control room staff about procuring energy for the dimensional transfer system." He gave a small device to Raine,
"Yuan. I'm sorry." Lloyd apologized. Everyone left but you waited,
"Aura," Sheena started,
"Ah-ah," Zelos interrupted, "Let the sibling's talk."
"...hm..." Sheena nodded; she looked back at you, "We'll meet you in the hanger, okay?"
"Okay." you nod. Everyone filed out, and the door slid shut behind them, "...Yuan?"
"...." he took his seat quietly, "...why...Why are you still here?" he asked quietly,
"Botta," you say, "You...you're really upset that he's dead... Aren't you?"
"....." he leaned his elbows on his desk, and pushed his forehead into one palm, "..." you heard a 'yeah' that was so soft it might as well have been inaudible. You walked over to him slowly, and watched him for a long moment. You hugged him, leaning your head on his shoulder, "...!" he stiffened.
"...I'm sorry, Yuan."
"...." he returned your hug with one arm, "...thank you." he mumbled under his breath. You smile slightly, then leave and head to the hanger. Yuan sighed softly, reaching back and twisting one of the two tails of the silver ribbon, "....thanks..."

However he then stood up again, pacing slowly around the room,
"All of our Rheairds are still in our hangar." he mumbled, coming to a stop, "...What is going on?"

After leaving you jog to the hanger in time to find a Renegade finish his explanation of how to travel from Sylvarant to Tethe'alla.
"I understand," Raine nodded, "Thank you." he nodded, and then handed over a small handful wing packs to the Professor,
"These Rheairds have been modified to make better use of the dimensional transfer system. Use these instead of the ones you had previously stolen from us."
"...We...apologize for that." Raine responded. "Oh yes," she handed him a wing pack, "Our friend borrowed this Rheaird from you."
"Wh...?" he seemed confused briefly, however he stopped himself, "...Yes." He nodded and took the wing pack, "I'll take care of it." he then turned back to the computers and continued his work. Sheena greeted you fondly, and you all walked outside to find Mithos waiting with Noishe.
"Welcome back." he greeted, "You're going back now, right?"
"Yeah." Lloyd confirmed, "We'll take you to Altessa's place."
"Thanks." he nodded.

Flying through the void in dimensions felt the same as it did before. Everything around was black with a few streaks of color flying by; the air was thick and heavy, your skin was prickling slowly. The black suddenly tore, opening the way out into the Tethe'alla sky; this time, however, you came out over the Flanior base. The air felt cold, and you smiled a bit as you flew towards Altessa's.
After a few short hours of flying you came to Altessa's home,
"Well, Mithos, have a good time with Altessa." Lloyd told him,
"You'll come and visit me, right?" Mithos asked,
"Of course." Genis promised with a thumbs up.
"Take care." Lloyd told him,
"I'll be praying for your success in avenging your sister." Mithos told Presea,
"Thank you." the pink-haired girl responded. However, this comment confused Regal greatly,
"Avenging Presea's sister?" your blue-haired friend asked, "What are you talking about?"
"Oh, that's right." Lloyd remembered, "We haven't told Regal about it."
"Ahh!" Zelos mumbled, then said aloud, "Um...hey, you know, that's not a topic we really need to drag out now, right?"
"Zelos?" you ask, "Is something wrong?"
"Yeah! What are you talking about, Zelos?!" Genis demanded, "This is important! Presea's sister was killed!"
"Killed?" the blue-haired man asked,
"Yes." Colette confirmed with a nod, "It seems Presea's younger sister served under a noble named Bryant. But then, her master Bryant..." the blonde trailed off. Regal was startled upon hearing this fact, and stared at Presea,
"He's a monster!" Sheena said, "How can he kill a child like that?!"
"Sister?!" he gasped, "It can't be! Presea, what was your sisters name?"
"...Alicia." the pink-haired girl responded,
"...I see." he mumbled.
"Do you know something about this?" Lloyd asked.
"...I may know who that murderer might be." Regal admitted,
"Really?!" Presea gasped,
"Regal?" you mumble; his expression was somewhat odd,
"Take me to Altamira." the blue-haired man asked.

After arriving at Altamira you all began to walk towards the entrance. Regal stopped suddenly,
"...Where did you hear about Alicia?" he asked,
"At her grave," you respond, "It's in the Sky Terrace of a company called Lezareno."
"...I see. Let's go there, then." he mumbled. He was silent as you all headed to the headquarters; upon entering you were all shocked to find all of the employees on the ground, hurt or unconscious.
"Wh...whoa?! What happened?" Lloyd gasped. Regal went to one of the people who were still awake,
"What's going on?" he asked the guard.
"The Exsphere Broker, Vharley..." he groaned, "Went inside..." his head fell limp, and the man was dead.
"Vharley!" Presea cursed, "...He must pay..."
"...Ugh!" Regal mumbled under his breath, unsurely,
"Let's go on in." Colette said determinedly.

Once the elevator stopped, you all quickly came out to find Vharley approaching George threateningly,
"Tell me the password to the inner area of the Toize Valley Mine!" he ordered, "Now!"
"...I don't know anything about it." George responded,
"Wrong answer!" Vharley yelled angrily,
"....How about I tell you instead." Regal said, walking ahead of everyone to come to George's aid.
"Master Regal!" George gasped, seeming both grateful and confused, "What are you doing here?"
"...So the president himself decided to pay a visit." Vharley said, "Perfect."
"President?" Lloyd asked
"The route to the Toize Valley Mine opens by my voice print and cornea scan." Regal informed them, "Forcing it open would undoubtedly cause the Exsphere mine area to collapse."
"Is that so? In that case, Regal, you're just going to have to come open it for us!" he put extreme emphasis on the last five words, "I'm gonna be out of business if I don't get my hands on some more Exspheres." *Good riddens,* you think, *The last thing we want are more people like Clara and Marble.*
"I think not." the blue-haired man responded simply, "Besides, Rodyle is dead. You don't have anyone to unload huge numbers of Exspheres on."
"Are you stupid?" Vharley demanded, "I don't need Rodyle. I've got the Pope himself on my side! And there's plenty of people around who'd love to get their hands on some Exspheres!"
"That's enough." Presea ordered, "I cannot forgive you for killing an innocent person." she began to go toward Vharley, only for a cloud of smoke to materialize in her way; when it faded, an all-too-familiar ninja stood there,
"Kuchinawa!" Sheena gasped in shock, "You're working with this guy?!" The ninja didn't respond, and merely stood protectively in front of the Exsphere Broker,
"Soon, the King will die and the Pope will take over." Vharley said maliciously, "And when that happens, I'm going to grind your pathetic Lezareno Company into the ground!" the two then vanished in a puff of smoke.

Regal approached George,
"Are you all right, George?" he asked.
"Yes, Master Regal." the man thanked, "Thank you." Regal then turned towards all of you, his expression serious,
"My name is Regal Bryant." he announced, "I was granted the title of Duke by His Highness, and also the president of Lezareno Company." he looked to Zelos, "Although, it would seem that the Chosen already knows me."
"I saw you at one of the Princess' birthday parties." Zelos explained simply,
"Oh, yeah...I'd forgotten that this guys actually a member of high society, too." Sheena commented, speaking about the red-haired chosen
"Heheheh." he laughed in response.
"But wait," you ask, "Your last name is..."
"Then, Alicia's killer, Bryant, is..." Raine agreed. Regal closed his eyes regretfully, and nodded once.
"W...wait," Colette asked, confused, "It can't be...Regal..." Regal turned towards Alicia's gravestone,
"Alicia!" he asked. The exsphere flashed, and the ghostly form of Presea's sister floated in front of the gravestone. Her face brightened when she saw Regal there,
"Master, I'm so happy to see you again before I disappear...." she told him,
"I'm sorry." Regal told her remorsefully, "Even after death, you still suffer...."
"It's all right." Alica assured, "It's not your fault."
"Alicia....what do you mean?" Presea asked. Regal faced all of you, once again,
"Alicia and I were in love." he explained,
"Then I, his servant, interfered..." George admitted regretfully, "And forced them apart."
"Alicia was handed over to Vharley." Regal went on, "He wanted to use her in an Exsphere experiment."
"Was he...trying to create Cruxis Crystals?" Colette asked.
"It seems so. But the experiment failed..."
------
Regal stood in front of the stone statue in the Altamira resort, glaring angrily at Vharley,
"I've fulfilled my promise. The mine is yours." he said bitterly, then begged, "Now, please, return Alicia to me!"
"...Sure thing, bub." Vharley laughed, "You can have her. I don't have any use for a failed piece of work like that, anyway." A large monster stormed forward, it was huge with a red stone glowing on its head. It was Alicia.
"Wh...what?..." Regal asked, confused as he stared at the monster in shock.
"This is Alicia!" Vharley announced, "She wasn't compatible with the Exsphere experiment. It worked just fine on another from her family."
"Master Regal..." Alicia's voice came from the monster, "Please...kill me!" she attacked Regal, and he jumped out of the way,
"I...I can't." he argued, "I could never kill you with my own hands!" the monster grabbed its head as it began to lose control,
"It's because I love you that I want you to do it!" she lunged forward. A beam of light shot from Regal's hands, killing the monster in one blow...

------
"Master Regal killed me in order to save me." Alicia said, "It was the only way."
"Just like Marble..." you murmur, feeling your stomach clench when you remember that you were the one who killed her.
"I'm so glad I got to see you again in the end." Alicia said, "I have no regrets, now. So please, Regal, stop punishing yourself."
"Alicia...but with my own hands, I..." Regal asked,
"I will disappear very soon." she said, "So please, don't leave me anything to worry about. You don't need those shackles. You've suffered enough."
"...I took the life of the one I love." Regal told her remorsefully, "These are the symbol of my crime, as well as my punishment."
"...You don't need that punishment anymore. Please, Regal..." Alicia asked,
"..."
"Genis, Aura and I once experienced the same thing you did." Lloyd told him, "And I also imagined what it must have been like...for my dad." he paused for a second, "When my mom turned into a monster, and he struck her down, he must have suffered as well."
Forcystus' ranch... Raining.... a cliff....
"....?" you shake your head slightly
"Please! Kill me!" There was the sound of a sword cutting through flesh... A mutated-human fell over the edge of the cliff, a sword wound deep in its side.
A silhouette of a man stood at the edge of the cliff, looking down with sorrow.
That man looked like.....

"....." you hold your head in your hands, "...what's going on?" you murmur quietly,
"...Your father did the same thing?" Regal asked,
"...That's what I heard." Lloyd responded, "I don't know if the decisions you or my dad made were correct, but I don't think my mom would have wanted my dad to punish himself and live the way you have."
"...Is that true?" Regal asked, turning back to Alicia.
"...Yes. It's just as he says." the girl responded, "At least, I don't want you to live like that."
"...All right." he agreed, then added a condition, "But I will never use these hands as tools of death. I swear that to you. To you and to Lloyd. And once we have defeated those who use Exspheres to toy with people's lives, I shall remove these bonds."
"...Thank you, Master. Presea...I think I can finally rest in peace." she told her sister, "Please destroy the crystal before I am totally absorbed into the Exsphere."
"Why?" Presea asked, "Can't you stay like you are now?"
"If I stay like this, I will live on forever." Alicia said, "An isolated consciousness, unable to even speak, existing for eternity...It would be true hell..."
"...Presea, Regal, what do we do?" Lloyd asked,
"...Please, set her free." Presea asked, head lowered,
"...Yes." Regal agreed with a small nod, "Goodbye, Alicia."
"...Thank you." Alicia then looked to Presea, "Presea, please forgive Master Regal. Please." she then vanished, and the exsphere became dull. Lloyd drew his sword, and cut the exsphere in half; resulting in it shattering and turning to dust.