Tales of Symphonia Story, Tethe'alla Chronicles (3)

The New Symphonia Story 59

QUIZ START: You all landed outside of Meltokio.
"Let's go to the Elemental Research Laboratory." Lloyd decided, looking up at the doors of the city as though they weren't standing in his way.
"Lloyd, you mustn't forget that were wanted as criminals." Raine advised, "Don't approach areas that are under heavy guard. Do you understand?"
"I know." Lloyd assured. You were getting used to sneaking through the sewers, and you weren't sure if that was a good or bad thing. After sneaking up onto the street once more you headed towards the Elemental Research Lab. However you all stopped abruptly when you found a familiar face,
"!" A familiar angel was headed towards you, stopping before he reached you. You all acted likewise,
"Kratos!" Lloyd exclaimed; however, the auburn-haired man ignored Lloyd and looked to Presea. You shuddered inwardly when you saw a flash of him so pale he looked dead...Curse that memory...
"I heard that sacred wood only grows in the area near Ozette." he said, "Is that correct?"
"Y...yes..." she confirmed unsurely,
"Then, does that mean that sacred wood no longer exists?"
"...The wood I cut is stored in the church." she responded,
"So that really is all that is left..." he mumbled, "It seems I have no choice." he sent a glance towards you, however he said nothing. He turned and began to leave,
"Wait! Why is Cruxis worried about sacred wood?" Lloyd demanded,
"Because it is necessary." Kratos responded simply, "...What other reason could there be?"
"Necessary for what?!" the brunette demanded again.
"I do not feel the need to tell you that now." he explained, still stating it simply. He then paused and thought for a second. "By the way, Lloyd. The Summon Spirit pacts you are currently forming...you must stop."
"...Do you think we'll stop because you said so?!"
"It is dangerous to engage in activities in which you cannot predict the outcome." Kratos told him, "It may result in something that you cannot undo."
"But if there is no other way to save both worlds, then we have to do it!" Lloyd argued
"...Be patient, Lloyd." he ordered. He was about to leave once again; however he stopped. "Lady Aura." he asked, turning back to you,
"...What?" you ask evenly.
"...May I speak with you?" you were slightly startled by this question,
"What...?"
"...There is a matter I must discuss with you; will you listen?"
"......" you didn't give him a response for a moment, "Why don't you just tell me here?"
"...I would prefer it if I could speak with you alone." he responded,
"...."
"Very well," he sighed, "...I am no longer the only one who is searching for you. Your return to Cruxis is considered one of the top priorities. However..."
"However?" you ask,
"...Your wellbeing is not." the angel said gravely, "Harming you no longer results in severe punishment... Unless you are killed, it doesn't matter how badly you are injured...As long as you are brought back alive." a shiver rattled your spine.
"..."
"I would offer to take you escort you back now; it would probably be the safest way," Kratos went on, "However, I know better than for you to listen to reason."
"Reason...!?" you demand, "Yggdrasill...Yggdrasill is the one...He's the one that," you pulled off your right sleeve, showing him your scars, "He's the one that did this to me! Why should I go back to Cruxis!?"
"..." the angel flinched slightly seeing the scars which stained your lower arm, however he said nothing for a long while, "You have your own reasons for not returning... and I'll admit they're very good ones." he paused, "...I pray that you're not hurt." he then left without another word.
Those last words confused you a bit... I pray that you're not hurt. What?
"Aura..." Sheena asked looking at your arm both horrified and disgusted, "Your arm..."
"...I-I'm fine," you assure, pulling your sleeve back over your arm, "Really...these scars are old."
"So...Yggdrasill was the one who did that to you." Lloyd asked. None of them seemed quite as shocked as you thought they would be, seeing such horrible scars on your arm.
"...Yes." you respond. "I'm...I'm sorry I never told you about..."
"It's alright," Raine interrupted, "We had no reason to need to know about your scars... It wasn't our business to know."

After a few moments of awkward silence you all continued to the Elemental Research Laboratory. Upon entering you found a scientist working on a small experiment,
"Sheena! And everyone..." he greeted,
"We have a bit of a favor to ask you all," the ninja asked, "If it's all right. You see, Shadows dungeon..." she then proceeded to explain the situation.
By the time she was done another scientist had come to listen as well.
"Ah, I see." the first one said, nodding, "In that case, the blue candle should be of use to you."
"A...a blue candle?" you question.
"It's a holy candlestick that negates the power of darkness." Raine explained, "You have that here?"
"Yes." he said, "Relying on ancient documents, we succeeded in creating it here in our lab."
"Then, could we borrow one?" Lloyd asked,
"Of course, we'd be--"
"Hey!" the second interrupted, startled, "It's these guys fault that Kate was arrested! We can't help them!"
"But they're Sheena's friends..." the first insisted.
"Kate?" you ask worriedly, "What about Kate? Did something happen?"
"Kate is going to be executed for harboring criminals and helping them escape." the first said. You gasped,
"Because of us..." Lloyd mumbled, then cursed, "Dammit!"
"Lloyd! Aura!" Colette asked, "Please, let's save Kate!"
"Lloyd, Aura..." Presea started, "I...I want to save her, as well."
"We have to save her," you insist, "We owe her..."
"Yeah, but how?" Lloyd agreed,
"How about participating in the matches being held at the Coliseum?" Regal suggested.
"The Coliseum?" Zelos questioned, "What for?"
"It was originally constructed to watch fights between prisoners and wild beasts." Regal responded, "There is a passage inside the prison which allows prisoners to be taken into the Coliseum."
"...Oh, that's right. You were in there before..." Zelos mumbled.
"Then, let's hurry up and rescue her..." the second scientist asked nervously.
"Okay, gotcha." Lloyd assured, "Everyone, lets hurry to the arena." after leaving the laboratory Zelos volunteered,
"Alright; I know the way to the Coliseum. I'll show us the way, eh?"
"Thanks, Zelos." the brunette boy responded, and you all followed him up the stone steps, and then down the right pathway at the first large landing. You turned right and walked into the large coliseum and seeing people inside who were arguing with themselves over whether or not to enter.
"Who is going to enter?" the receptionist asked in a monotone, not looking up from the book she was reading.
"I'll go." Lloyd volunteered. The receptionist looked up, mouth open as she was about to speak, however she stopped when she saw who wanted to register,
"...Oh, but you're the wanted..." she trailed off.
"Don't worry about little details about that." Lloyd asked. Then Raine approached the desk,
"The registration fee is 5,000 Gald, correct?" she asked casually,
"...Yes, that's correct," she confirmed reluctantly, "But you're the wanted..."
"And also...here's a small token of our appreciation. 10,000 Gald. Take it."
"Ah..." Raine placed the ten thousand gald on the table.
"Use the change how you like. Now then, shall we get going?" Raine asked,
"So this is how money is used..." Presea asked,
"N...no its not...not really." Genis argued weakly.
"We'll be rooting for you Lloyd!" Colette promised,
"Be careful, Lloyd." you add.
"You got it!" Lloyd promised with a thumbs up and a smile. As Lloyd departed for the way into the arena, Zelos led you up to where you could watch the fight, encouraging that everyone cheer for Lloyd as loudly as they could.

The battles in the coliseum were soon over, and Lloyd walked into the prison/ holding area. He found Kate in a holding cell,
"Why are you here?" she asked, confused, as Lloyd began to pick the lock to her cell,
"It's our fault you got arrested," Lloyd responded, still working on the lock, "So we've come to save you."
"Thank you, but..." Kate paused for a second, "It's all right."
"It's not all right." Lloyd argued, the lock clicking open. He pulled it off and opened the door, "If something's up, we can talk about it after we get out of here. Now let's hurry."
"...All right." Kate agreed softly.