‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Eleven

"Mr. Tom used to say that the island was very dangerous," Dahlia said, sitting up as straight and prim as she could. "He said the island was all that remained of a very old civilization. Older than we can even imagine, and it has a mind of its own and doesn't like intruders. He said that's why most people never made it back from there, if they even found it in the first place."

"And he specifically mentioned a magical amulet?" Ben asked. Dahlia nodded eagerly, reminding him of an excited little bird.

"He said the amulet was what everyone wanted most, because it would make them live forever. He always shook his head, saying that men are foolish for wanting to be immortal. He always seemed sort of sad when he talked about it. Mr. Tom seems sad a lot, but not everyone sees it."

"Did he ever say anything about the amulet losing its power?" Scarlett asked, bouncing in her seat slightly and tapping the side of her tea cup. Ben gently rested a hand on her knee to calm her impatience. Dahlia's small face scrunched in concentration.

"He used to say that magic doesn't always work like people expect it to. But I don't remember him saying anything to me about the treasures losing their powers. If anyone would know about that though, it would be Tom."

"Do you have any idea where this Tom is now?"

"He's on another island somewhere near here. I'm sorry, but I don't know where exactly. I wouldn't try to find him if I was you though."

"Why not?" Ben asked as Scarlett deflated slightly.

"Mr. Tom doesn't care for visitors. He likes to be alone."

"We really need to speak with him," Ben said gently. "If you happen to hear anything about where he might be now, would you please tell us? We're going to be docked here for four more weeks. A ship called the Silver Spirit."

Dahlia looked hesitant. "Mr. Tom really doesn't like people bothering him," she warned again.

"I'm afraid it's a chance we have to take."

"You need his help because of the baby, don't you?"

Ben nodded and Dahlia clasped her hands in front of her.

"If I find out anything about where he is, I will come tell you," she said finally. "Because you're good people, I can tell. I think Mr. Tom would maybe be willing to help because of the baby. Especially because she will be so beautiful."

"Did you say she?" Ben perked up and shot Scarlett a sideways look. She rolled her eyes.

"Thank you for all your help, Dahlia," she said, pushing her chair back and standing. Ben gave Dahlia a handful of coins and her eyes grew huge and round as saucers.

"I can't take this!" she squeaked. Ben smiled.

"It's for your kindness and your help," he said. "You deserve it." She took the coins almost reverently. Then she wrapped her skinny little arms around Ben and hugged him tightly. He walked outside to find Scarlett smirking at him.

"What?"

"You are such a soft touch," she laughed.

"She's a little girl trying to raise her siblings," Ben said. "I figure she could use all the help she can get."

"So can we right now," Scarlett sighed. She scuffed the toe of her boot on the ground. "What if we never find this mysterious Tom? Or what if we do, and he can't help us? What if he won't help us? She said he doesn't care for visitors. Maybe he'll just shoot us as soon as he sees us coming. Maybe he's just a crazy old loon and he doesn't even have any useful information."

"Scarlett," Ben said, reaching out and grabbing her shoulders. "Everything will be all right."

"You can't possibly know that," Scarlett retorted. "Everything could go terribly wrong Ben, there's no guarantee that anything will be all right."

Ben gently took her face in his hands. "You're right," he said quietly. "I don't know, and nothing is for certain. Except for one. I love you, and our hypothetical daughter. I love you more than I ever thought possible. I would gladly move earth, heaven and hell to keep you both safe. I will do whatever it takes to make sure nothing happens to either of you. And I'll protect the crew too, in part because they've placed their trust in me, albeit reluctantly. And also because they're important to you. So you need to trust me. Can you do that, Madi?"

Scarlett stared up at him and nodded slowly. Then she hugged him fiercely. "I'll always trust you," she said.

"Good. If anyone can figure this out and beat it, it's the two of us."

Scarlett suddenly started laughing, shaking her head.

"What's so funny?" he asked, bewildered.

"Nothing. It's just that if someone had told me when I set out to hijack your ship that we'd wind up here I never would have believed it. Actually, I probably would have shot someone who tried to tell me I was going to fall madly in love with a damn Navy man with an annoying habit of being right about everything."

"What can I say? I'm irresistible."

Scarlett pursed her lips. "Don't get cocky now, Griffith."

Ben pulled her into a kiss, still smirking. "Come on, Captain Sour Puss. I still have a crib to finish. We can still ask around and hunt for clues as to the whereabouts of this Mr. Tom while we're stranded here. May as well do something productive if we're going to be here for an entire month."

"We should be as discreet as possible," Scarlett said. "If this Tom does get word that someone is looking for him, he might make himself even harder to find."

Ben snickered. "Discretion and subtlety have never been your strong suits, sea goddess."

"I know. That's why I'm instructing you to do most of the talking. How you manage to keep such a cool head all the time is beyond me."

"I soak my head in ice regularly," he said casually and Scarlett shot him a scathing look.

"Idiot," she said. When they made it back to the Spirit, Ben returned to the captain's cabin and resumed his task of preparing the crib. He had assembled it while they were sailing into port after the storm. Scarlett sat on the bed and watched him while he painted it a delicate shade of rosy pink. He noticed her often reaching up to lay a hand on her stomach, almost absent-mindedly. She fell asleep while he was still working and he finally set aside his paint to sit beside her. She didn't look quite so troubled now, sleeping soundly instead of tossing and turning.

"Your mother seems like a lot to handle," he whispered, leaning over to talk to Scarlett's stomach. "But I promise you, she's an amazing woman and you're very lucky. I hope you turn out exactly like her."

Scarlett cracked one eye open and stared at him like he was crazy. "Ben?"

"Yes?"

"Go to sleep."