‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Thirteen

Ben scrambled swiftly down to the dock, Scarlett close behind him. Dahlia stood there beaming proudly.

"You're sure?" Scarlett asked her. Dahlia nodded excitedly.

"Yes, he is definitely there. I'm not sure where, precisely, but you will find him there. Be careful though; Mr. Tom is...not always the warmest man. He was always kind to me of course, but-"

"He likes to be left alone," Ben finished. "I remember. We'll be careful. Thank you, Dahlia. Will you be home later tonight?"

She nodded again. "Mistress Corinne is having a party tonight. She just wants me there to help her with her dress and her hair and then she'll send me away because she doesn't want a child getting in the way of her guests."

Ben pursed his lips, deciding he really didn't care much for this Corinne woman. He thanked Dahlia again and she scurried off. Ben and Scarlett returned to the ship.

"We'll be doing a final supply run, and I need to pay the balance we owe to the mechanic. While I'm gone take inventory of what we need, and then we'll be setting sail for Trinidad."

The crew dispersed to follow his orders without missing a beat and Ben saw Scarlett scowl out of the corner of his eye. She stalked off to the captain's cabin and Ben sighed, following her. She was sitting at her desk and drumming her fingers restlessly against it and clenching her teeth.

"They're only listening to me because you ordered them to," he said.

"I don't like this," she said. "I'm turning into a whale and my crew doesn't even like me and now they think I'm losing my mind."

"Scarlett that's not-"

"And it's entirely your fault, Benjamin," she snapped. Ben could have pointed out that she had also been present during the baby's conception, but held his tongue. He knew arguing with her right now would be an unwise decision. He wished Scarlett could be as happy about the baby as he was, but she was the one enduring the most changes; including the complete disruption of a life she had grown to love. He couldn't fault her for her anxiety and concern. His biggest fear was that after the baby was born her feelings wouldn't change, and he couldn't bear the idea of Scarlett being miserable for the rest of her life. Especially if it was because of him.

"I need to go pay the mechanic," he said quietly. "I'll be back later."

Scarlett ignored him, rummaging through the desk drawer for something. Feeling somewhat crestfallen, Ben slipped out of the room and shut the door gently behind him. After the mechanic was paid the last of his fee, Ben wandered around town for a while, suddenly none too eager to return to the ship. When the sun was almost set, he returned to Dahlia's house. She greeted him with a bright smile before yelling at the twins to stop picking on each other. He handed her a pouch full of more coins and a few jewels.

"It's for all your help," he said, raising a hand to stave off her protests. "Maybe now you won't need to keep working for that awful woman."

He found himself with Dahlia's arms locked around his waist again as she hugged him. "You remind me a little of Tom," she said. "He did kind things for us, too. But you're not sad and cranky like him."

Ben laughed. "Take care of yourself, Dahlia."

He finally made himself go back to the Spirit, keeping himself busy double checking their supplies, and then triple checking them. Finally he instructed Stephen to set a course for Trinidad and set the speed as fast as it could go. He didn't return to the captain's cabin until late that night, opening the door as carefully as he could and slipping inside. Scarlett was sleeping draped across the bed, as though she had sprawled there in a fit of boredom and then nodded off. Ben gently maneuvered her so that she was resting against the pillows and covered her with the blanket. Feeling restless, Ben sat on the floor and started working on the mobile to hang above the crib.

He was carefully carving a small butterfly when there was a soft pulse of light and a faint voice calling his name from inside the desk. Ben lunged for the drawer, yanking it open before it woke Scarlett. The face of his oldest friend, Simon Tully, appeared in the glass on the small round disk.

"Ben!"

"Shh!" Ben hissed. "Scarlett is sleeping."

"Oh! Sorry," Simon lowered his voice to a whisper. "Evelyn and I are on our way into Port Aris. We should be there in about three days or so. If you're anywhere close by you should come visit. We're bringing the children to see Evelyn's family and they should probably meet their namesakes too. Evelyn would love to see the two of you."

"We're headed in the opposite direction from there," Ben said slowly. "But we might end up having some time to see you. I'd love to meet the twins."

"God help me, Ben. I love them to death but they've driven me half mad already. Just wait until you have some."

Ben didn't answer but Simon must have read something in his face.

"What's that look for?" Simon asked.

"Scarlett...well. We'll be having one of our own soon."

"You're kidding!" Simon had to fight to keep his voice down. He started snickering and Ben pursed his lips and glared until Simon calmed down.

"Are you serious?" he asked. "You and Scarlett are really expecting?"

Ben nodded and Simon let out a low whistle. "Incredible."

"Don't go spreading the news," Ben warned. "Our own crew doesn't even know about it, aside from our resident physician. Scarlett isn't thrilled about it and I don't want anyone else knowing until she's ready to tell them."

"My lips are sealed," Simon promised. "I won't even tell Evelyn. I'd best be going. Hope to see you soon, Ben."

Ben said goodbye and Simon's image faded from the glass. Ben returned the disk to the drawer and returned to his mobile making. He didn't realize he'd fallen asleep until Scarlett nudged him awake.

"Why are you sleeping on the floor?" she asked.

"I was working on the mobile," Ben said groggily, sitting up. Scarlett stood over him with her arms crossed.

"I feel like you've been avoiding me," she said. Her tone was accusatory and annoyed but I'm the dim light he caught a flash of hurt in her eyes.

"I assumed you were still angry with me and I didn't want to make it worse." He rubbed the tiredness from his eyes. "Scarlett, I'm sorry that this wasn't in the plan. You've been so unhappy lately and I feel like all my overzealousness in regards to this matter is probably only serving to make it worse but I-"

"Ben, hush." Scarlett knelt on the floor beside him, pulling his arm around her shoulders and snuggling against his side. "I'm not angry with you," she said. "Everything is just changing so suddenly and I feel a bit overwhelmed. The only reason I haven't gone completely 'round the bend is because you're there to keep me grounded."

She lifted her head from his shoulder, twisting around so that she could plant kisses all over his face.

"That sort of behavior is what got us into this in the first place," he teased. Scarlett rolled her eyes and pushed him onto his back so she could pin him in place while she continued kissing him.

"This isn't very comfortable," he said.

"I have to hold you down to make sure you don't run off again."

"I'm not going anywhere," Ben promised. Scarlett didn't budge, keeping herself firmly planted on his chest. She propped her elbows on his shoulders, resting her chin in her palms and smiling sweetly at him.

"I'm not," he insisted. "I'll be right here."

"I'm not sure I can trust your word on that," Scarlett said, poking him lightly on the nose. "I think I'll just have to stay right where I am, just to be safe."

"Madeline Pearl. Are you holding me hostage again?"

"Mmhm."

"Well then you leave me no choice." Ben raised his arms and began tickling her sides. Scarlett yelped softly and tried to sway his hands away. As she did he caught her around the waist and lifted her off of him, scrambling up and sweeping her off her feet, depositing her on the bed and continuing to tickle her while she flailed.

"Stop!" she gasped between wild giggles.

"Do you surrender?"

"Never!" Scarlett raised one foot, kicking him lightly on the back of his knee so that he fell forward. She took advantage of his distraction to push him over and crawl on top of him again, sitting on him triumphantly.

"Beat you, Benjamin. I am the make feared captain in all the seven seas for a reason, you know. No man can defeat the great Scarlett Rose."

"Marry me," Ben said. Scarlett was so startled she lost her balance and fell backwards off of him.

"What?"

Ben sat up and pulled her against him, kissing her forehead. "Marry me," he repeated. "Your father gave us a ring and his blessing. I talked to Simon earlier and he and Evelyn are on their way to Port Aris now. We can turn around and head there before looking for Tom, and see Simon and Evelyn and the children and get married."

"But what about the amulet?"

"No one else has started showing signs of injury. And we know where to look for Tom. I think we can afford this little detour. Scarlett I love you and I intend to spend the rest of my life with you anyway. We may as well have our hypothetical daughter born to married parents don't you think?"

Scarlett studied his face for a few moments. Then finally she nodded slowly, a smile lifting the corners of her mouth.

"Okay," she said. "I'll marry you. Now go get this tub turned around."