‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Seventeen

Ben tried not to roll his eyes as Evelyn kept fussing over him, smoothing his shirt and trying to fix his hair.

"You're terribly handsome of course, it's just that you look so much like a pirate now."

"Well, Evelyn, I am a pirate."

Evelyn smiled. "You may be sailing on a pirate ship, Mr. Griffith. But you are no pirate. Oh, here they come!"

She stepped back and clasped her hands excitedly in front of her face. Nosebleed snapped to attention and Ben turned to face forward, his jaw dropping slightly as he watched Simon escort Scarlett down the makeshift aisle. They were indeed on the beach, just as Evelyn had suggested. Specifically, the stretch of beach behind her family's house. The aisle in question was actually just a trip of sand with driftwood lining it, for Scarlett and Simon to walk down.

Ben stood with Nosebleed and Evelyn at the other end. He could sense Evelyn smiling at the somewhat dumbstruck expression on his face, but he couldn't really bring himself to care. Scarlett smiled almost shyly as she reached him, Simon prying her vice grip off of his arm and moving to stand across from Evelyn.

"You look...." Ben trailed off and Scarlett laughed faintly.

"It must be a cold day in hell," she said, "for the ever eloquent Ben Griffith has been struck speechless."

"If anyone would be capable of rendering me speechless, Madi, it would certainly be you."

"You hopeless romantic."

Ben smiled and winked before Nosebleed cleared his throat.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to uh...well to join these two in..."

"Holy matrimony," Evelyn whispered out the side of her mouth and Ben had to suppress a sigh while Scarlett pursed her lips to keep from laughing. Nosebleed finally got it right, beginning to sniffle slightly as he proceeded with the ceremony, his eyes watering. Behind him, Ben could practically feel Simon's pained look.

"Do you..." Nosebleed paused again, leaning toward his sister and whispering loudly, "do I use Scarlett Rose or Madeline Triggs?"

Evelyn gave a dainty huff of exasperation. "You have to use her real name, Reggie. Or it's not really official."

"Right, right. Of course." He cleared his throat again, wiping another tear from his eye before continuing.

"Do you, Madeline Triggs, take Benjamin Griffith to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and cherish him in sickness and in health for as long as you both shall live?"

Everyone waited a moment for Scarlett to answer, but she was just staring at Ben with a sort of dreamy eyes expression. Evelyn poked her lightly in the back.

"Oh! Um, yes. Yes I do," Scarlett said, and Ben heard Simon stifle a snicker. Nosebleed had to pause to blow his nose on a handkerchief.

"And do you, Benjamin Griffith, take Madeline Triggs to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and cherish her in sickness and in health for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," Ben said, smiling softly at Scarlett. "And longer even than that."

"The rings!" Nosebleed declared, practically a blubbering mess by now. Scarlett was still trying not to laugh as she slid a simple gold band into Ben's hand, and he placed a slimmer one with a small, exquisite diamond flanked by two smaller sapphires onto hers.

"You may now....kiss the bride," Nosebleed choked, burying his face in his handkerchief again as Ben pulled Scarlett against him and kissed her fiercely. He was dimly aware that Evelyn was also sniffling and talking excitedly, but he couldn't bring himself to focus on anything but Scarlett's lips against his. Finally they pulled back and Scarlett looked up at him with nervous excitement. Simon gave them a brief word of congratulations, and then did his best to fend off his wife and brother in law to allow Ben and Scarlett slip away to the inn where Ben had procured a room. He gave his friend a nod of thanks and Simon winked.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," he teased.

"We'll probably be doing things you've never even heard of," Scarlett retorted and Ben groaned.

"Scarlett, for God's sake," he said, ushering her away while Simon laughed heartily at his discomfort.

"Behave yourself for just a moment while I get the room key, will you?" he whispered, planting a kiss on her forehead. She obliged, at least waiting until they were out of sight of everyone else before fairly pouncing on him and kissing him passionately. Ben chuckled, peeling her off of him.

"Patience, love."

"Patience?" Scarlett repeated. "I don't think so. You promised I'd have you all to myself, and plus that ridiculous woman made me sleep alone last night."

"Can we at least get inside the room first, instead of fornicating here in the hallway?"

No sooner had Ben gotten the door unlocked than Scarlett was shoving him inside, pinning him against the wall and trailing kisses along his jaw and neck, already trying to tug his shirt off. Ben fumbled the door shut, lifting her off her feet and carrying her across the room. She tried to pull him onto the bed but he stopped her and she made a noise of protest.

"What now?" she demanded.

"I don't want to ruin the dress-"

"Oh for crying out loud. Benjamin if you don't start wooing me this instant-"

"Shh." Ben kissed her softly, sliding the dress off of her as carefully as he could so he didn't damage it.

"Trust me, Mrs. Griffith," he said, eyes crinkling mischievously. "There will be plenty of wooing. We have this room for three days and it is my intention to put it to good use."

Scarlett's lips twitched up in her signature wicked grin. "Well then, Mr. Griffith. Get on with it."