‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Twenty

"Is she dead?"

"No, you twit, if she was dead she wouldn't be in this much pain."

"Is she dying?"

"Will you boys get out of here and give the poor girl room to breathe? She's coming to."

Scarlett groaned softly and held her head as she sat up, seeing stars as her vision faded in and out. She heard three separate voices, but when she opened her eyes, saw just one pair of brilliant blue eyes looking back at her. It took her a moment, but she gasped and jumped back suddenly when she realized who was sitting in front of her.

"Malina? Is that you?" she whispered. "That's impossible... You can't be here... and you're walking..."

Malina gently shushed Scarlett, placing a hand on her cheek with a gentle smile. Scarlett had only met Percy's mother once in her life, yet after spending one day with the woman, she felt as if Malina could have been her mother since birth.

"Where am I?" Scarlett muttered. "Where's Ben?"

"I'm not sure I know who Ben is," Malina said, helping Scarlett up to her feet. "I'm not sure I can tell you where you are, either."

"You're dead. That's where you are."

Scarlett turned around when she heard another voice, and when she saw the two young men standing there, she nearly fainted. The first was Abram. He looked different, like the person Scarlett remembered growing up with. His heavy scarring was absent, and his smirk was sly and mischievous, rather than cruel and rueful. The other was a face she never thought she'd see again, but at the same time, one she was forced to see every day.

Colt looked a lot like Percy with his dark shaggy hair and massive height. He was a more slender compared to Percy's hulking form, and unlike Percy's nearly-black eyes, Colt had inherited his mother's optics. An icy blue, almost like frost, that chilled you right down to your core whenever he looked at you. His personality, however, was about the exact opposite of his brother. While Percy tended to be a quiet, shy, gentle giant, Colt was the sociable one who could have his hand up a woman's skirt before she even had time to realize he'd effortlessly seduced her.

"Colt?" Scarlett squeaked.

"I really hoped I wouldn't have to see you here," he sighed.

"She's not dead," Abram said.

"Of course she's dead. How else would she be on the island, genius?" Colt argued.

"Didn't I tell you boys to shut up and let her pull herself together?" Malina snapped, making both Colt and Abram shrink back.

Scarlett took a moment to look at Abram and Colt. Abram had been so vicious during his last years that Scarlett had nearly forgotten about the time the three of them spent together as teenagers. Or rather, as friends. Colt and Abram were inseparable best friends from the moment Colt boarded the Silver Spirit.

"Is this hell?" Scarlett asked.

"No," Malina told her, taking her arm and starting to walk her forward. "This is... a strange place. When we pass on to the next life, our spirits are simply floating in the atmosphere until they are called upon. I had my suspicions about this life, but I never thought it would ever be this complex."

"What do you mean, called upon?" Scarlett frowned.

"Our spirits are always in a dreamlike state, even after death," she explained. "Sometimes they just float by. Other times they come down and touch the Earth. In this case, it seems we are standing on the fine line between life and death."

"You mean she's still alive?" Abram asked.

"Weren't you listening?" Colt scowled. "Pay attention, you idiot. She just explained the whole thing."

"Once more please, Mrs. Everett," Abram said.

Malina rolled her eyes and turned her attention to Abram to explain it all to him one more time. Scarlett was just in a daze, having a hard time breathing. She was standing there with dead people, and she had no idea where Ben was. She feared the worst for him, with that wound. He needed her. At least, she hoped he needed her. She may have been the one needing him.

"I have to go find-"

"Madeline."

Scarlett spun around, sighing softly in relief when she saw Ben standing there, his shirt soaked in blood as he held his side, looking absolutely exhausted and paler than he should have been. Scarlett ran to him, nearly tripping over the sand as she threw her arms around him, apologizing profusely when he winced in pain. He put his free arm around her though, looking just as relieved as she was and kissing her forehead.

"You will not believe where we are," she whispered to him.

"Oh, I believe it," he assured her. "It was explained to me. Someone was gawking at your ship, and I found out it was an 'old friend' of yours."

Scarlett furrowed her brow in confusion at first, but froze when she saw yet another familiar, deceased face over Ben's shoulder. She was petrified at the sight of Phineas again. Behind her, even Colt and Abram had gone completely still and silent. She clung to Ben, and he seemed to notice that despite having seen Scarlett in her vulnerable state, this was a different kind of fear. He pushed her behind him slightly, glancing between Phineas and the small crowd that had formed around Scarlett.

"Abram?" he frowned, having just recognized the man in his younger, healthier looking state. "And... Percy?"

"Try again, my friend," Colt smirked.

"Colton," Ben muttered, realization dawning on him. "You're Colt."

"Right. Someone give the man a prize."

"Hold on now, he's already gotten himself a prize," Abram said, a sly grin on his face. "He's already got his little trophy wife hanging off him. It doesn't get much better than a night with that little bird. I'm sure every man in the world can vouch for that."

"Abram, don't," Scarlett warned.

"Well, every man standing here can certainly relate," he added.

Scarlett waited for Colt to jump to her defense, but he didn't. He just stayed silent. Why should he have defended anyone? He had no reason to like the man that won over the girl he wasn't able to keep.

"Trophy wife," Phineas repeated, moving around to get a better look at Scarlett and the ring on her finger before sighing and shaking his head in disappointment. "Have I taught you nothing? Didn't I tell you that getting attached to a person is the single weakest thing you could do?"

"Please don't," Scarlett squeaked, holding on to Ben as if she feared he'd run away.

"And you," Phineas said, turning to Ben. "You really think she loves you? Are you aware of the things this girl has done? The people she's manipulated to get what she wants? Did you really think any of this is real?"

"Don't you say things like that!" Malina snapped.

Phineas glared at her, rolling his eyes. "Get out of here, you old woman. You're no longer needed. Even your son is turning away."

Malina looked to Colt to find that he was just staring at his feet now, seeming a bit frustrated with every word Phineas said. With every little reminder of how he'd been one of the fools to fall for Scarlett, he seemed to care less and less about defending her. Malina helplessly backed off, giving Scarlett an apologetic glance before disappearing, like dust in the wind.

"You're better off without her," Phineas said, turning back to Ben. "And deep down, you know that she's better off without you. She doesn't even love you. She doesn't love anyone."

"Ben, we need to get out of here," Scarlett said, her voice barely a whisper as she tugged on Ben's arm.

He didn't budge. His eyes remained narrowed and locked with Phineas, and she could see his muscles tensing up.

"Ben, lets go," Scarlett repeated, but she was ignored again.

Now, she caught Ben glancing at Colt every now and then, a seemingly unspoken communication happening between them. Whatever that communication meant, it couldn't have been good.

"I know her," Phineas said. "I practically raised her. I know how bored she gets when she sees the same man too frequently. And I know that the only reason she hasn't left you yet is because of your spawn growing inside her. Save yourself the trouble, and get out of this situation before she hands the baby to you and runs away."

Scarlett looked back to Ben, and she hated the look on his face. Was he believing what Phineas was saying? Phineas could charm his way to anything, even in death, but Scarlett had assumed that nothing could come between her and Ben. Now, Ben didn't seem so sure, and she could feel her heart shattering into a thousand pieces. She'd changed for Ben, and she thought he knew that. What she loved most about him was his seeing her as the person she truly was, rather than the person everyone said she was. The last thing she wanted was for Ben to become one of them.

"Benjamin."

He didn't move. Suddenly, out of nowhere, he whipped his gun from the holster and shot right through Phineas's skull. For a moment, his figure rippled, like a stone hitting water, but he reappeared quickly, laughing at Ben as he doubled over in pain from moving too suddenly. Scarlett went to help him, but he caught himself, refusing her help. She wasn't sure she'd ever seen him so angry in her life.

"You can't kill someone who's already dead, boy," Phineas smirked, shaking his head as he walked away. "The only one with something to lose here is you. I sincerely hope you do make the right decision. For everyone's sake."

With that, he disappeared suddenly, Abram disappearing soon after. Colt lingered for a bit, staring at Scarlett with a sort of sad expression, but he disappeared soon after. Scarlett felt sick to her stomach, taking a deep breath.

"He's just bitter. None of it meant anything. He just- Ben?"

Scarlett whipped around to find that Ben wasn't standing beside her anymore, but trudging off, dragging his left leg slightly because of the pain in his side. She hurried to catch up with him, about to reach for his arm when he turned suddenly. He looked hurt, but not from physical pain.

"Is it true?" he demanded.

"Is what true?" she frowned.

"That the only reason you're still here is because of the baby," he said. "That you're only keeping me here because of the baby."

"Ben, you have got to be joking," Scarlett said in disbelief. "Have I ever been disloyal to you?"

"Are you only here because you feel sorry for me?" he asked. "I see how you look at Colt. I saw what was happening. I may have been blind to it before, but I can see clearly now."

"Ben, what are you talking about?"

"Is it all true?"

Scarlett just gaped at him, unsure of what to say. She felt about as hurt as he looked. She pursed her lips, crossing her arms over his chest.

"If that's the kind of woman you think I am, then maybe Phineas is right. I am better off without you," she snapped. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find my way off this damned island."

She hated how hurt Ben looked, especially after she'd said that, but she turned on her heel and marched away before he could say anything more, or see how helpless she felt. She went until she couldn't see Ben anymore, suddenly feeling weak at the knees and sinking down, leaning against a tree for support. It seemed she had been crying a lot, lately. This, however, was the first time she cried without Ben by her side.