‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Twenty-Three

Ben had to take several deep breaths and count to ten to try and calm his sudden panic. They'd lost nearly five whole months on that stupid island, and now they likely wouldn't make it to land before the baby came. He had to fight the urge to tear around in frenzied circles like a chicken without a head. He knew Scarlett would be worried and one of them needed to stay calm. He turned to face her where she still sat in bed, her hands pressed to her stomach and her eyes so wide he feared they'd pop right out of her skull.

"It's all right," he said, going to sit beside her. "I finished the crib, so at least we don't need to worry about that."

"It'll be here in a month," Scarlett squeaked. Ben was afraid she would start hyperventilating and he reached out to run his fingers through her hair.

"Just breathe, Scarlett. I'm right here, it's okay."

Scarlett reached for his free hand, grabbing it and holding on so tightly it actually hurt a little. Ben grimaced but didn't ask her to let go.

"Take deep breaths, love," he murmured. "Don't get yourself all worked up."

"I'm huge," Scarlett lamented, falling dramatically back against the mountain of pillows. Ben shook his head, trying not to chuckle.

"You're not huge," he protested. "You're your normal size, there's just someone else renting out a bit of space for the moment."

Scarlett shot him a look. "I'm huge," she repeated. "Don't try to sugarcoat it, Benjamin."

"You'll be back to normal in no time," he assured her. "The second the baby comes. You'll be right back to having the sort of figure that makes other women green with envy."

"I can't let the crew see me like this. No one will ever take me seriously as a fearsome pirate captain again."

"Rubbish. Now they'll have even more reason to be afraid of you. You'll be the fiercest mother that ever lived and that child will never have to fear anyone or anything."

"I'm fat!" Scarlett wailed and Ben sighed. He scooted behind her and pulled her against his chest, starting to braid her hair to calm her down.

"First of all, pregnancy is not the same as being fat," he said. "Second of all, you're the most beautiful woman in the world no matter what. Third of all, despite being the most beautiful woman in the world you're more than your looks, Scarlett. Don't worry about it so much."

Scarlett tried to turn her head to look at him but he stopped her.

"The braid is only half done," he scolded. "Let me finish."

He could practically feel Scarlett roll her eyes. But her shoulders seemed to relax ever so slightly as she leaned into him.

"See, I told you I need you," she said. "Anyone else would be as terrified as I am right now."

Ben thought it best not to mention that he'd had to quickly talk himself down just a few minutes before. He finished braiding her hair and rested his chin on the top of her head, gently massaging her shoulders.

"There's nothing to be terrified about," he said quietly. "You'll do fine."

"But-"

"You'll be fine, Madeline. I've yet to find anything you're not capable of handling."

"There's a first time for everything," Scarlett muttered. Ben planted a light kiss on the back of her neck. He stayed with her, talking about whatever happened to come into his mind to try and keep her mind occupied.

"I remember what a brat you were when you came to see the horses in the stables," he said. Scarlett scoffed.

"I was not!"

"You were a tiny blond tyrant," Ben chuckled. "Trying to argue with you was like trying to argue with a hurricane. Some things never change, I guess."

"I'm not that bad," Scarlett pouted. Ben kissed her neck again.

"You're perfect," he said.

"How long before we reach Trinidad?" she asked, snuggling closer to him.

"If we're lucky, we'll get there before the month is up. I'd prefer to be on solid ground when the baby comes, but I suppose she's destined to be born on the sea. It's where she's going to grow up anyway."

"You're still adamant that it's a girl, hm?"

"I am."

Scarlett shook her head. "You think you know everything. I guess you're right. Some things never change."

"Are you insinuating I've always been a know it all?"

"I'm not insinuating anything. I'm saying you're an insufferable know it all outright."

"Madame, I take offense to that."

"You do not. You love knowing more than anyone else."

"You know me too well."

Scarlett laughed softly. She laid her head back against his chest and stayed there until she finally fell asleep, her hands resting on her stomach. Ben remained awake, laying his hands over hers.

"You'll both be fine," he murmured. "I promise."