‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Ben was still reeling and unsure which emotion to focus on. It was still early in the morning when they returned to the ship and much of the crew was in town enjoying a few days on land.

"Maybe you two should stay here and talk for a while," Scarlett said quietly, giving Ben an encouraging smile. "Gigi's been out and about all day, I think she needs a proper sleep in that beautiful crib you made her."

Ben nodded, giving Scarlett a light kiss on the lips and nuzzling his daughter's nose. She reached up a tiny hand to touch his face and Scarlett laughed at his goofy grin.

"Your father is ridiculous but he loves you, little monster," she said as she walked away. Ben leaned back against the railing and looked at Thomas; it was going to take him a little time to get used to the idea of calling him dad; who seemed nervous, fiddling with the strap on his bag.

"I really wanted to come back and find you," he blurted suddenly. "Mary didn't tell anyone that she was leaving, let alone where she was going."

"I know," Ben said, reaching out to grasp his shoulder for a moment. "She's told me the story."

"I never should have left," Thomas said, looking frustrated. "I should have found some other way to get the money."

"You couldn't have known."

"How is Mary?" he asked. "Is she well?"

"She's wonderful," Ben replied. "She's still as beautiful as ever."

"Oh. Well yes, I assumed as much."

Ben was amused to see Thomas's ears turn slightly pink.

"Did she ever..." he trailed off, looking nervous.

"Marry anyone?" Ben supplied. "No."

"Ah." Thomas seemed at once relieved and sad. "I can't believe I missed out on all these years. I never stopped thinking about her. Do you know, even when I was still suffering amnesia I used to dream about her. I didn't know who she was, but I would see her face while I was asleep."

Ben found himself smiling, though he felt a sudden sympathy for Thomas. "She's hard to forget."

Thomas chuckled, the haunted sadness in his eyes easing slightly. "That she is. It was love at first sight for me, you know. Not for her though. I had to win her over. Made a complete fool of myself on more than one occasion. So, young Ben. Your lovely wife tells me you're a bit of an artist."

"I dabble."

"How did you two meet?"

"I was in the Royal Navy. We had gotten word that the crew of this ship was hunting for a map that led to a valuable treasure. We procured the piece they were still missing. Somehow they found out about our ship and boarded us. I had memorized the map and destroyed it before they found me. So the captain had my crew and I taken hostage. I managed to get hold of the rest of the map, memorized that as well, and destroyed the rest of it so they couldn't kill us just yet."

"Amazing. And Madi was a member of the crew?"

"She's the captain who ordered I be taken hostage, actually."

There was a beat of surprised silence and then Thomas started laughing. "And how on earth did you end up marrying her, then?"

Ben shrugged. "We got to know each other while I was on board. I didn't even realize it was happening, and then one day I looked at her and I knew I loved her and wanted to be with her forever. Through some miraculous twist of fate she felt the same way, and we've been inseparable ever since."

"Amazing," Thomas said again. "Sounds like you've had quite the adventurous life. I'm very sorry that I missed out on all of it."

"Not all of it," Ben said. "I think I have a few good years left."

Thomas's lips twitched as he shot Ben a sideways glance. "You want me around for the rest of it, then?"

"You can travel back to London with us when we go to introduce Gigi to the rest of the family. I'm sure my mother would love to see you again."

"She probably despises me." Thomas's smile faded slightly.

"Don't be ridiculous. She has an old photo of you in a locket that she always wears. Of course you look a bit younger and less...scruffy. I can assure you that she never stopped loving you."

"But it's been such a long time..."

"Just come to London," Ben said firmly. "See what happens. You could have a future with her, even if you missed out on the past."

"Mary raised you well," Thomas said quietly. "You seem to have grown up a good man, pirating aside. Now you should go get some sleep. Your wife and that beautiful little girl are waiting for you."

Ben hesitated. "Our resident physician bunks in the quartermaster's cabin," he said apologetically. Thomas held up a hand.

"I'll be fine, Benjamin. I'm used to keeping odd hours and I'd rather stay out here under the stars for a while. Your crew won't try to kill me in the morning, will they?"

"They're all ashore right now. If anyone comes back and tries to give you trouble just tell them to take it up with me."

Thomas nodded, looking amused. Ben returned to his quarters to find Scarlett sitting beside the crib and singing a soft lullaby to Gigi.

"You didn't need to wait up for me," Ben said, leaning down to kiss her cheek.

"I can't sleep without you," Scarlett said. They both stood and stared down at Gigi. It was strange for Ben, having a suddenly bigger family. A wife, a daughter, and strangest of all, a father. He tilted Scarlett's chin up and kissed her fiercely.

"What was that for?" she asked with a breathless laugh.

"Because none of this would have happened if you hadn't kidnapped me," he said. "I wouldn't have a perfect little baby girl, and I never would have found Thomas either. I didn't think it was possible, Madi, but I suddenly love you more than ever."

"Well don't go around telling people," she teased, wrapping her arms around him. "I have a reputation to maintain as a fearsome pirate."

"You pirate all you like. I have all the treasure I need."

Scarlett rolled her eyes but she was smiling. "You are such a hopeless romantic, Benjamin."

He swept her off her feet and laid her in bed, lying beside her as she curled up and rested her head on his chest. They wound up sleeping early into the afternoon, roused by the sound of footsteps out on the deck and Gigi making nonsensical baby noises.

"Sounds like the crew is back," Ben remarked. Scarlett sighed and reluctantly pulled herself out of bed, scooping Gigi out of her crib and kissing her cheek. Ben stepped out onto the quarterdeck, somewhat surprised to see Thomas chatting animatedly with a few of the crew. Ben supposed the grumpy old hermit was coming out of his shell. Stephen approached him.

"We're ready to set sail whenever you are, Ben," he said proudly. "I got us our replacements."