‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Thirty-Six

"Ben, put me down."

Ben just stared at Scarlett in surprised when she told him to put her down, not really taking her seriously until she attempted to kick and flail so he'd drop her. She tried to kick and flail, at least. She found that the closer they were getting to the cavern, the less she control she had over her body. She was aware of her arms and legs, but she just couldn't move them. Ben set her down on her feet, but she only stayed standing for a moment before she wobbled and fell to her knees weakly. She was having a hard time keeping her eyes open, and she could feel her heartbeat slowing in her chest. It was almost like going to sleep, only with an unbearable pain coming from the scratches on her back as the poison fought to put her down for good.

She yanked the amulet off the belt she'd tied it to and started to pick at the gems, trying to pull out the one she'd put in, waking it up. All around, she could feel the rumbling as the cavern threatened to cave in. Doc was visibly terrified while Thomas looked like he was trying to figure out a way to save everyone. Ben kept his worried gaze on Scarlett, watching as she tried and failed to pull the gem out.

She found her legs get weaker as she fell over, now lying on her side with the amulet in her hand. She made a soft choking sound as she found herself barely able to even reach over and touch the amulet. She'd all but lost control over her arms. Her eyelids grew heavier and heavier, and then all of a sudden, everything stopped. Literally.

The feeling came back to Scarlett quickly, almost like it snapped back to her. She sat straight up with a gasp and looked around, trying to make sense of what had happened. The whole world had frozen completely still. Ben looked like he'd been frozen in the middle of walking towards her, while Doc and Thomas were both staring upwards as pebbles and small rocks began falling, hovering still above their heads. Everything had paused in time. Scarlett looked down and gasped when she saw herself, still lying on the ground with her eyes closed and the amulet in her hand. Next to her hand, a single, tiny gem had fallen off of the amulet and was stuck in the dirt. She'd never seen herself look so pale and sickly in her life.

"Well, you did it."

Scarlett gasped and turned to find that there was a man standing behind her. She quickly scrambled to her feet and stepped away, careful to step over her frozen body on the ground. The man didn't move or show any emotion, just staring at her. He was dressed entirely in dark clothing, with long black hair and completely black eyes. Despite his terrifyingly menacing appearance, there was something oddly comforting about his presence, and some kindness and mercy in his eyes.

"What the hell is this?" Scarlett demanded. "Who are you?"

"I'm Death," the man said plainly, still no hint of emotion in his voice. "I'm here to help you move to the next world. You can't do it on your own."

"Death?" Scarlett frowned, stepping away again. "I'm not dead. You can't take me."

"You are dead," Death told her, obviously having had this conversation many times before. "When you put the amulet to sleep, it could no longer protect you from the poison in your body. So you died. But for what it may be worth, your death saved the life of your remaining crew."

"I'm not ready to die," Scarlett protested. "My life was just beginning. I'm married, I have a baby... you can't take me away from my baby! Please, this isn't fair!"

"Scarlett, the four of you have no chance here," Death said, gesturing to the crumbling cavern. "Soon enough, I will be going to collect your husband and friends, as well. You were simply the first one to go."

"Ben?" Scarlett said, her voice barely a whisper. "You mean he's going to die?"

"Yes."

"But what will happen to Gigi?" Scarlett demanded.

"I cannot reveal the future."

"Please?"

"You can't just bat your eyelashes at Death to get on his good side."

Scarlett bit her lip and backed up again, looking at Ben's face, frozen in worry.

"What's going to happen next?" she asked Death.

He snapped his fingers and suddenly, everything began to move again, coming out of their frozen state. Ben rushed to Scarlett's body and lifted her, checking her over in a desperate attempt to find some sign of life in her limp body. Small rocks started to fall, followed by larger ones that Doc and Thomas had to dodge. Ben didn't seem to notice, completely focused on Scarlett. It seemed to occur to him rather suddenly that she was dead, and the heartbreak in his eyes was unbearable to look at.

"Ben, we need to get out of here, now," Doc yelled over the loud rumbling around them.

Ben didn't even acknowledge him, brushing Scarlett's hair out of her eyes. More than anything, she wanted to run over and hold him and tell him she was right there, but she knew she was nothing but a ghost to him. There was nothing she could do to protect him now.

Everyone looked up as the cavern caved in, and everyone ducked as the rocks began to fall over their heads. Scarlett was ready to watch everyone get crushed when everyone froze once more. She spun around and saw Death standing there, waiting for her reaction. Slowly, everything moved in reverse, back to the position it was in before he let time continue.

"Please, you have to give me a chance," Scarlett begged.

"Do you fear Death?" he asked.

"No," Scarlett said hesitantly, "But I think about you often."

He nodded slowly, then sighed, staring at the frozen bodies in deep thought for a few moments. Scarlett waited anxiously for his response as he just stared at her body on the ground, gaze shifting to the amulet in her hand.

"Madeline, you've caused me a lot of trouble recently," he said. "You've given people immortality, and then taken it away from them. Do you know how troublesome that is for me?"

"I'm sorry. I just want my life to be normal again. No immortality. Just normal. Me, my husband, and my daughter."

Death watched her intensely for a few moments, then reluctantly shook his head and sighed.

"I'll give you one more chance. A little extra air in your lungs. And I will hold the cavern up for just a little longer," he said, stepping towards Ben to examine him. "He's lucky you have the nerve to bargain with Death. It may just save you both. That is, if he can save you and get everyone out."

"Thank you-"

"But if he fails," Death interrupted, holding up a finger to silence Scarlett, "All four of you come with me. No questions, no more bargaining."

"Deal," Scarlett said quickly, sticking out her hand.

Death looked at it and wrinkled his nose, but shook her hand. Then he snapped his fingers one more time.