‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Forty-One

Ben turned as Nathaniel dropped, finding Thomas was the shooter. He gave his father a slight nod as both crews put their weapons away.

"Where's the man who kidnapped my daughter?"

The deck of the Cutlass was dead silent and Ben's voice carried like cannon fire even though he didn't speak that loudly. A few men shuffled back, revealing a pale, terrified looking man that Ben recognized. None of his crew members seemed eager to come to his defense. Gigi had her head buried against Ben's shoulder and he was reluctant to part with her again, but he passed her gently to Scarlett as she rushed over to hold them both.

"Take her back to the Spirit," he murmured. Scarlett nodded, kissing him briefly before Thomas helped her and Gigi cross back to their ship. No one made a move to try and stop them. The man shrank back as Ben strode slowly toward him.

"I just did what my captain ordered me to do," the man said, trying to sound defiant. His voice came out meek and thin.

"Well your captain isn't here anymore, is he?" Ben asked in a low voice. "You stole my child and turned her over to a madman. You must know I'm not going to let that stand."

"We won't let it stand." Scarlett swung back from her own ship, landing lightly on her feet and coming to stand beside Ben.

"Where's Gigi?"

"With her grandfather. This won't take long."

She punched the wide-eyed man in the face, then select his feet out from under him. She and Ben stood over the man, both with pistols in hand. They exchanged a look, and simultaneously pulled their triggers.

.::.::.::.

"You're coming back to London for s visit? That's wonderful!" Emily beamed at Ben through the glass disk. "We've all missed you so much, and we want to meet the baby and see you now that you're an old married couple."

Ben chuckled. "We're not old. Don't let Scarlett hear you say that."

"Too late." Scarlett leaned over Ben's shoulder to make a face at Emily. "I am not old."

"Okay, Granny Scarlett." Emily grinned, eyes sparkling. "Can I see the baby? Please please please?"

"All right," Ben laughed. He took Gigi from Scarlett; they had barely put her down since they got her back; and angled the disk so Gigi's face filled it. Emily squeaked and Gigi giggled.

"Oh she's beautiful!" Emily exclaimed. "Hi, Gigi! I'm your Aunt Emily. I'm going to spoil you rotten."

"Emily there's one other thing," Ben said, his grin faltering.

"There's some news you need to give Percy," Scarlett said quietly. She closed her eyes briefly. "His father is dead."

Emily's joyful look vanished, her brows furrowing. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. He's dead, Em," Ben assured her. "He sent someone to kidnap Gigi and...well there was a fight between the crews and he was shot. There's no recovering from it. He died instantly."

"I'll tell Percy." Emily nodded slowly. "I'll be as gentle as I can. I promise."

"Thank you," Scarlett said.

"I can't wait to see you all. Love you!" Emily waved and the disk went dark. Next Ben contacted his mother while Scarlett used her own disk to talk to Edmund Triggs so they could tell them they were coming to visit.

"I'm going to finally see my perfect little granddaughter!" Mary was ecstatic.

"I have a surprise for you, mom," Ben said. "You'll see it when we get to London."

"Do I get a hint?"

"I think it will make you extremely happy."

"Benjamin. Nothing could possibly make me happier than seeing my son, my beautiful daughter-in-law, and my precious grand-baby."

"Trust me."

Everything returned to normal aboard the Silver Spirit. The amulet was gone, and while Ben, Scarlett, and the four remaining crew members who had been linked to the amulet all sported some new scars no one else dropped dead of any old injuries. Ben thought the men would have been upset over their loss of immortality, but they took it surprisingly well. Their last order of business was to bid farewell to the mermaids.

"We'll be around if you ever need us," Ivanna promised.

"Wonderful," Scarlett muttered and Ben nudged her gently.

"Thank you, for all your help," Ben said. Ivanna smiled.

"It's what we do, Benny! Bye Scarlett!" Ivanna blew them a kiss and vanished beneath the waves. They sailed on to London without further incident, Gigi getting better at walking every day and Ben acting like each step was as important as a coronation. When they reached London it was nearing New Years, and Ben and Scarlett disembarked the ship to go shopping for warm clothes for Gigi. She wound up with a full, frilly winter wardrobe to accompany her summer one. They dressed her in one of her prettiest outfits the day they finally took her to see the family. Scarlett had brushed her dark curls to a satin shine, and she wore a sapphire blue coat, gloves and hat.

"She looks like an angel," Scarlett said, smiling as Gigi stared at the snowflakes in fascination. She kept trying to catch them in her hand and giggled delightedly when they landed on her face. Thomas was with them, his hair neatly combed and face clean shaven.

"Stop fidgeting," Scarlett laughed. "You look great, and Mary will be thrilled to see you."

"It's been twenty-five years." Thomas looked terrified. "What if she's not?"

"She will be," Ben assured him. They reached the Weldon house, which was where everyone had agreed to meet. Ben knocked on the front door, and heard Emily's voice.

"I'll get it I'll get it I'll get it!" The door swung open to reveal his little sister, her red-gold hair tied back with green ribbons and her face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"You're here!" She flung herself at Ben, squeezing him tightly before turning and giving Scarlett a kiss on the cheek as she took Gigi and began fawning over her.

"Come on, everyone is in the parlor waiting for you." Emily shot Thomas a curious look and then flounced ahead, Gigi on her hip.

"Wait just outside the door," Ben said to Thomas. He patted his father's shoulder, since he still looked pale and jittery. Ben and Scarlett entered the parlor and were met with cheers and beaming smiles. Mary and Edmund were across the room first, embracing their children. Then Mary took Gigi from Emily, cooing to her and cradling her in her arms. Emily went to stand with Percy, who looked awkward and uncomfortable surrounded by her family. He was quick to give Scarlett a hug though.

There were a few more minutes of tearful reunions and hugs and adoration of pretty little Gigi. She squealed happily and toddled excitedly around the room, frequently picking up too much speed and falling over, everyone jumping at once to catch her. Ben slid an arm around Mary's shoulders.

"I still have that surprise for you," he said. "You may want to sit down."

"Ben don't be silly. What is it?"

"You can come in now," Ben called. Thomas stepped into the room reluctantly, hands clasped behind his back.

"Hello, Mary," he said quietly. Mary stared with wide eyes, and Ben had to catch her as her knees almost gave way.

"Thomas?" she gasped.

"Yes, it's me." Thomas was staring at her intently, studying every inch of her face. Ben could see the love and longing in his eyes and steadied his mother.

"You're alive?" Mary whispered. "But you never came back."

"I was hurt when the ship sank. I lost my memory. When I remembered, I came back. But you were already gone."

Mary released her grip on Ben's arm, stepping forward, drinking in Thomas's face the same way he was with hers. The room was silent as everyone watched them. Even Gigi had gone quiet, sitting on Edmund's lap. Then Mary's face broke into the most radiant smile Ben had ever seen, that lingering trace of sadness that had always been in her eyes vanishing like a cloud from in front of the sun. Tears streamed down her face as she launched herself into Thomas's arms. Ben reached out to brush Scarlett's fingers with his own, feeling like here with his whole family, his entire world had clicked perfectly, beautifully, into place.