‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Forty-Two

“I actually have three pocket watches. I bought the first two, but I made this one myself.”

Percy took a bronze pocket watch out of the pocket of his vest after Scarlett pointed out its chain, pushing the button to open it and show that the inside was clear, and the gears turning inside the watch were visible behind the ticking hands and glass covering. She raised an eyebrow and looked at him, impressed. She was used to Percy looking unkempt, so seeing him in clean, well-fitted, clothing that made him look like an important member of society was definitely a change. A very good change. He’d even combed his hair back, though his thick locks of black hair were still a little wild and long. Scarlett figured it must have been by Emily’s request.

“You made it?” Scarlett said.

“I’ve been working with Emily in her lab, but I can’t help her with all of the little mechanics and engineering,” he shrugged, tucking the watch back into his pocket. “But I’d like to help her. I want to do more than carry heavy boxes and take things off the high shelves. She’s teaching me a lot, but we’re starting with the little things. Like watches.”

“I’m proud of you, Percy,” Scarlett grinned, reaching over to take his hand. “I really am. You’ve truly turned your life around and made a respectable man out of yourself.”

“You’ve changed too,” he pointed out. “In a good way, I mean. I’d call you more of an adventurer than a pirate, now.”

“I suppose,” Scarlett nodded, laughing softly in disbelief of how much one man had changed her life.

She glanced over to look at everyone else in the parlor. Mary and Thomas were sitting separate from everyone else, speaking in hushed tones. Someone could have been doing cartwheels right next to them, and they probably wouldn’t even have noticed because they were so lost in each other’s eyes. Gigi was running around the room, shrieking excitedly as Emily laughed and chased after her. Ben was talking to Edmund, who must have been interrogating Ben about why Gigi was a year old when he and Scarlett hadn’t been married that long, because Ben was clearly looking for an excuse to get away from his father-in-law for a little bit. Scarlett would have loved to go rescue him, but she already happened to be sitting with Percy to protect him from Emily’s older brothers. That, and she needed to know for herself that Percy was going to be alright.

“So I suppose Emily has told you…,” she started.

“Yes,” he nodded, his tone changing slightly to something Scarlett couldn’t quite read. “I understand everything.”

“You’ll be alright?” Scarlett asked.

“He wasn’t in my life before. What difference does this make?”

Scarlett wasn’t completely convinced that Percy wasn’t still a little hurt. He looked down at his shined shoes, avoiding eye contact. Scarlett knew Percy well, and she knew that despite every terrible thing his father had ever done to him and his family, Percy always had the slightest bit of hope that he’d change. He looked up when Gigi started waddling in Scarlett’s direction, her tiny hand grasping his pant leg to keep from falling. Percy looked a bit uncomfortable as he picked her up and set her down in his lap, Emily watching him adoringly. He wrinkled his nose and stared back at Gigi when she locked her big blue eyes on him.

“What’s so great about you, anyways?” he said, bouncing his knee lightly to make her giggle. “You just sit there in your own filth and everyone treats you like you’re the damn queen.”

She cooed and reached out to him with a big smile on her face, and Percy couldn’t help but smile back.

“Alright. Maybe you’re not completely disgusting.”

Scarlett laughed as she took Gigi back and kissed her cheek, Emily taking her seat next to Percy when Scarlett stood up to walk over to Ben and rescue him from her father, who was distracted right away when Gigi came. Everyone seemed to melt right away when she came near, and Gigi adored the attention. Edmund took Gigi out of Scarlett’s arms and rocked slightly, kissing one of her chubby hands.

“Could I have a moment, please?” she asked Ben.

“Yes, of course,” Ben nodded, a little too eager to walk away and join the Weldon brothers.

Scarlett turned back to her father, tilting her head to the side and watching as he cooed to Gigi. She wondered what he must have been feeling. He’d lost his own daughter for so long, holding his granddaughter so soon after being reunited with his daughter must have felt surreal.

“I should have told you sooner,” Scarlett sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“In the past, my dear,” Edmund assured her. “I can see why you’d be hesitant. I just hope you know that there is nothing you could ever do that would make me turn you away.”

“I know that,” she nodded with a half smile. “She has your eyes.”

Our eyes,” Edmund corrected, leaning over to kiss Scarlett’s forehead. "She's beautiful. You're doing a wonderful job."

"You think so?" Scarlett said, straightening the bow in Gigi's dark hair.

"I know so," Edmund assured her. "You know, your mother had to remind me through her entire pregnancy that I had nothing to be afraid of. One evening I suggested we find a nurse to take care of you, and she turned so red I was afraid she'd explode. I can still feel that slap across my face when I think about it. I was red for days."

Scarlett thought of the massive portrait of the beautiful blonde woman with the gentle brown eyes above the fireplace in her father's home. She'd spend hours at a time just sitting on the carpet and gazing at her mother's portrait, wondering what life might had been like if she was there. She was lucky to have a father that loved her enough for both her parents.

"After she passed away, I did hire the nurse," he admitted with a sigh. "She helped for two days, but I was tormented those two days. I knew Veronica wanted to raise you without any help. It truly was a shame she never for the chance. She would have scalped me if she was there. I told the nurse to take her leave and decided to raise you myself, on my own. It was difficult, but in just a few days, I found that I wouldn't have been happy with myself unless I had given you the world."

"You were a wonderful father," Scarlett told him. "You still are."

He smiled and rocked Gigi again, who was starting to quiet down after a long day of running and screaming with Emily. She lifted her head off of her grandfather's shoulder and looked around the room, holding out a hand.

"Daaaaaa?"

Scarlett laughed softly, taking Gigi back.

"Daddy is right over... Oh. Where is Daddy?" Scarlett frowned, looking for Ben, but found that he'd disappeared along with Mary and Thomas.

She was about to go look for him, but Edmund set a hand on her shoulder.

"Trust me on this one, my love," he said quietly.

Scarlett moved on to take Gigi back over to Emily, watching as Emily played peekaboo with her, making her giggle. Ben returned with Mary and Thomas just a little while later, all three of them looking excited. He wandered over and laid a hand on Emily's shoulder.

"Scarlett and I won't be here for longer than a week, Em," he said, raising his voice so everyone in the room could hear. "If anyone can plan a wedding by then, it's you."

Emily gasped as everyone went silent, standing up from where she was sitting on the ground and causing Gigi to shriek in protest and frustration that her Aunt Emily's attention was directed somewhere other than her. Scarlett picked her up and turned to Mary and Thomas, who were holding hands and practically glowing.

"It's been postponed long enough," Thomas announced. "Now that our family is together, we've decided that there is no better time to finally marry."

Everyone excitedly rushed over to congratulate them and excitedly plan. Scarlett stayed back and grinned at Ben as he put an arm around her.

"I've never seen her like this with anyone," Ben said quietly.

"She has everything in the world now," she told him.

"She does," he agreed, smiling back at her. "And so do I."

.::.::.::.


"Where's Daddy's... nose?"

Ben knelt down on the ground across from the chair Scarlett sat in, grinning as Gigi reached out from where she sat in Scarlett's lap and touched Ben's nose. Edmund had given them a big room to stay in, and after a long day of seeing everyone again, it was nice to be totally and completely alone. Even on the Spirit, it was difficult for the three of them to spend time alone together without one of the crew members interrupting them.

"Now where's Daddy's hair?" Scarlett asked Gigi softly.

Gigi stared for a moment, then reached out to grab a handful of Ben's dark hair, making him wince softly when she pulled too hard. Scarlett laughed softly and pried her hand open to release Ben from her grip, brushing his hair back into place.

"Alright, where are Daddy's eyes?" Scarlett asked.

Ben glanced up and looked at Scarlett, locking eyes with her as she got a little lost in his. Gigi looked for a second then reached out and nearly poked Ben's eye out, breaking his gaze. He laughed and took her little hand, kissing her palm. He stood and took Gigi in his arms, kissing her cheek and walking her over to the crib Edmund had prepared for them, laying her down gently.

"Alright, my smart little princess," he said quietly. "We'll learn the rest tomorrow."

He stood over her for a little bit before walking back to Scarlett, bending down to kiss her deeply.

"Where are the buttons of Daddy's shirt?" he asked her, lifting her up out of the shirt and moving her to the bed.

She laughed and started to unbutton his shirt as he laid her back on the bed and moved on top of her.

"Where's Daddy's belt?" he asked.

She rolled her eyes and scooted out from under him.

"Not while the baby is in the room, Ben," she warned him. "I think you know how to undress yourself."

"Alright," he sighed, rolling onto his back next to her. "You're right. I'm just in a good mood."

"You ought to be," Scarlett laughed, reaching out to hold his hand. "I love you."

"I love you, too. More than you know."