‹ Prequel: Dark Tides
Sequel: Rising Shadows

Blurred Horizons

Chapter Six

"Little Madeline Triggs. Madeline. Who chose that name, anyways?"

Madi watched from the chair she was sitting in as Phineas set a box down on the table in front of her. She glanced up at him, speaking quickly and quietly.

"My mother did."

"I don't like that name. It doesn't suit you," Phineas said bluntly.

From the other end of the room, Madi heard a smirk, whipping around to glare at the boy leaning back in his chair. Part of her longed to see him tip too far back and fall over. He was only a few years older than Scarlett was, but he was still barely out of childhood. Phineas turned to him and raised an eyebrow, and the boy immediately sat normally, shutting up.

"Do you have something to say, Abram?" Phineas asked.

"No, Father."

Madi gave him a smug grin, which he responded to with a steely glare. It seemed that no matter what, Phineas was always going to side with Madi. She turned back to Phineas as he opened the box, pulling out a gorgeous silk gown in a beautiful scarlet color, with gold trim. Madi eagerly accepted the gown that was presented to her.

"Go on, try it," Phineas urged.

She was quick to shimmy into the dress, admiring herself in the mirror and doing a twirl as Phineas watched with approval. Even Abram seemed impressed.

"Beautiful, like a rose," Phineas laughed. "You know, that's what they should have called you. Rose. A scarlet rose. Scarlett Rose."

Madi watched as Phineas stepped towards her, bending down and tilting her chin up.

"But that isn't what they named me," Madi said.

"It doesn't matter what they named you," Phineas shrugged. "You don't matter to them anymore. You're one of us, now. And I feel that you deserve a name that suits you, my rose. Just like that beautiful dress you're wearing. Madeline Triggs is no more. The world best be ready for Scarlett Rose."


Scarlett woke up to find that Ben was tightly holding her, almost cradling her, and looking tired as he stared straight ahead at the wall opposite the bed. Had he been up all night? She frowned and looked up at him, her movement catching his attention. He smiled at her and kissed her forehead, but she could tell something was wrong. She sat up to kiss him lightly, feeling a little guilty about what she knew she was putting him through. There was no doubt that he knew she wasn't feeling herself, and the fact that she was hiding her suspicions of pregnancy from him made her feel even sicker. They weren't even suspicions anymore. The more she thought about it, the more sure she was that it was true. And yet, she was terrified of admitting it out loud, especially to Ben.

"Did you sleep at all, last night?" she asked.

"I did," he said, though she could tell he was lying.

Scarlett sat up, moving so she was sitting on the bed across from him. She just stared at him for a few minutes before he sighed and closed his eyes, shrugging as he admitted to the lie.

"Not really," he said. "I noticed something. And, well, I don't mean to alarm you."

Scarlett froze up a bit. Did he know she was in delicate condition? As scared as she was of telling him, she was even more scared of him finding out from someone else first. Ben noticed her tense up, his brow furrowing as he explained further.

"The amulet," he said. "It doesn't shine as vibrantly as it used to. Have you noticed that?"

Scarlett loosened slightly, though she was still concerned, but nodded slowly.

"A while ago, actually."

"A while ago?" Ben asked, eyebrows shooting up. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It started when Don passed," she admitted, looking away from him. "And it's gotten worse."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't want you to worry," Scarlett pouted.

Ben obviously had a thousand thoughts running through his mind, staring at Scarlett. She could tell he was trying connect her illness with the amulet, likely making the scenario far worse than it was.

"Ben, please don't worry so much," she begged. "Please."

"How could I not worry?" he said, standing up and looking even more exhausted than he already was. "How do you expect me to just sit here and watch that stupid trinket suck the life out of you, like it is with the rest of the crew? I'm not going to wait until you're bleeding out to be concerned, Madeline. You can't ask me to do that."

Scarlett watched him pace in silence, until he walked to the table and looked down at the amulet, which was glowing like a dying ember. He didn't touch it. Bad things happened to those who tried to touch it, unless they were the sole owner. Ben looked like he wanted to throw it off the end of the ship and watch it sink to the bottom of the ocean, but he just put a hand on either side of it, leaning on the desk and dropping his head with his eyes squeezed shut.

Scarlett stood up and slowly approached him, standing beside him and reaching out to brush his dark hair out of his face. She felt horrible for doing this to him. He was right, after all. As usual. She sighed and moved around to hug him from behind. He took a few moments, but finally turned around to face her looking her over.

"I don't like to admit this, but I'm petrified at the thought of what could happen in the near future," he said quietly. "Anything could happen. We don't know what the amulet is going to do."

"How I feel has nothing to do with the amulet, Ben," she reluctantly told him.

Scarlett could feel her stomach doing backflips when Ben met her eyes again. She'd rehearsed the conversation many times in her head, but she felt so unprepared when it came to speaking with him face to face.

"Of course it's the amulet. What else would it be?"

"Well... something has happened..."

"What?"

"I don't know how to say it."

"Madi, if you don't tell me right now, I might explode," Ben said, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Do you want me to explode?"

"No."

"Let's hear it then."

Scarlett bit her lip and sat down in the nearest chair as Ben knelt down in front of her, holding both her hands and waiting for an answer. She took a deep breath to pull herself together. It was only two words. How hard could it be? Very hard, apparently.

"Ben, I need you to promise me that when I tell you this, you will remember to use your indoor voice," she reminded him.

"I'm a grown man. I think I can handle it."

"I'm pregnant."