Status: First attempt at becoming a successful writer. Hoping it good to read.

In Love With the Manhunter

Chapter 13: Back from the Dead

I awoke with a start, leather bindings constricting my movements. I was in a bed, it wasn’t a bed you would see in someone’s home, but like in a hospital. I looked around my vision still a bit blurry. I struggled against my bindings trying to break free of them, but they did not budge. My bones and muscles ached from being idle for too long. I struggled again the bindings they still did not releasing my hand. I growled in anger as I tried again over and over getting the same result. I tried one last time as the binding on my right hand gave way. The leather cuff just swayed left and right along the bedside. I quickly took off the bindings around my other hand, my chest, legs and waist. When I was able to move freely again I got out of the bed flexing my fingers and my arms the muscles in them aching in sweet release. I grinned as I remembered I wasn’t paralyzed anymore. I looked at a counter with a black marble top seeing my white mechanical spine the lights glowing a soft bright blue. It was big and bulky, and was T shaped. At the top where the two arms that would connect to my shoulder blades where half spheres. My hands shot to my back feeling sleek metal connected to my back. It seemed small and very light. When I shifted my back muscles I could hear soft clicking. I looked around for a mirror not finding one. I cursed under my breath as I walked forward taped sensors I had noticed fell to the ground with a soft clang as a beeping siren went off. The noise hurt my ears as I quickly walked over to the machine making the noise trying to find a way to stop the annoying beeping. I gave up pressing random buttons to just unplugging the damn thing. When I did the noise stopped as I cracked a smile. I chuckled a bit as I began to hear the sound of rushing feet, “It’s good to know people still care about me.” I whispered to myself.

The door slammed open as I saw Rachel standing at the door breathing heavy obviously out of breath, “R-Ryder you- s- son of- son of-.” Rachel gave up as she bent over trying to take in as much air as she could.

“Good to know you care about me.” I said patting her shoulder. I began to hear a collection of people running. I pulled her toward me as a nurse and doctor rushed into the room, “Hey Doc how am I doing?” I asked as I picked up my white and blue robotic spine looking it over.

“How are you feeling are their any pains you are experiencing?” he asked as he began to study me.

“Nope, nothing. Sorry to disappoint you.” I said rolling my shoulders.

“The patient seems to be without out pain and without obvious problems. The fusing process was a complete success Doctor.” The nurse said in a monotone female voice.

“Jesus they still have the creepy fucking nurses?” I asked as I began to star at the nurse who seemed sapient, and human, but on a closer inspection I could tell she was a synthetic robot… thing, “They do, however them being synthetic is new.”

“Never- never mind the nurse…. How the hell are you fine it’s been only a couple of days- And you seem perfectly fine.” Rachel panted as she was still out of breath.

“You need to exercise more.” I said patting her shoulder.

Rachel slapped my hand away weakly, “Shut the hell u- shut the hell up Ryder I’m not fat.” she growled taking in more gulps of air.

“I didn’t say you were… Just that you’re out of shape with running and stuff.” I corrected myself cracking a toothy smile, “Anyway Doc you want to fill me in on my new spine situation?”

“I do agree with your friend, you shattered the rest of your spine including the spinal cord, it’s amazing you can even stand never mind move with no problems.” The Doctor said as he began checking my back, “We changed out your old mark three model for a mark four. The mark four is sleeker, and smaller than the mark three if you haven’t noticed already. Since the rest of your spine, which wasn’t much to start off with, was removed and we replaced by the mark four and we modified it to give you a spinal cord of sorts. Your spinal cord was snapped in two basically so we are using a collection of neural implants as an improvisation. Now your movements are not made through thought before movement like some implants do, but our or I should say ‘your’ implants acts like you spinal cord now. However if you do take in an electromagnetic pulse to your implants or the mark four spine itself you can expect some lag feedback or total parallelization for a short or long period time depending on the intensity of the pulse. Now you can reset your spine manually with of course a help of another you can get back to your feet eventually. However with a reset you reset the power of the implants and mechanisms inside.”

“So what does that entail?” I asked my grin vanishing turning to a serious look.

“You need to be slow. If you move too quickly and or stress the mechanisms they will set at that power and basically you can snap your body in two very easily. So say you lose power to your spine and someone resets it. If you do say two backflips and sprint maybe three kilometers. After your sprint is done you bend over to tie your shoe. With giving the mechanisms that work out when you bend over you have a one in four chance of crushing your body and snap in two. So if there’s a reset move with the utmost caution and move extremely slowly.”

“I understand.” I said nodding my head.

“Also the mark four have AI ports slash implantation. So your AI Zero can help with managing the spine along with your armor systems, which you AI is currently updating.

I looked at myself to see I was indeed without my armor, and just in my boxers and a medical robe, “How’s Veronica?” I asked

“S-She didn’t make it.” Velvet voice answered before the doctor could even open his mouth. I looked up to see Velvet in the doorway to the room, “She- when her fighter got hit she took the brunt of the damage. The energy from the blast smashed her head on the console of her fighter, and was killed from internal bleeding to her brain, and her lungs filled with blood choking her to death.” Velvet sniffled as I could see fresh tears begin to fill her eyes.

“Velvet I’m sorry.” I said quietly as sadness filled my features, “She was a brave and an expert pilot. I would not have any other pilot than you and her by my side. She will be greatly missed.”

“Yeah… She was brave she was very brave.” Velvet said as she began to break down into sobbing.

I walked over to her hugging her as she did the same back crying into my stomach, “If you need anything just let me know. I mean anything Velvet.”

“Thanks Boss-… I mean thanks Ryder.” She said as she began to wipe her tears away.

“Where’s Madwick I need to speak to him?” I asked letting go go Velvet.

“He’s… He’s on the bridge, but you might want to get dressed before you go.” Velvet said with a small chuckle.

“Right.” I simply said as I tore off the medical robe walking out of the room.

***********************************************************************************

“Madwick sir, we have a problem.” A man in a cloth uniform said as he saluted toward Madwick.

“Spit it out soldier.” Madwick barked back as he placed his hands behind his back. Madwick did not like how the battle turned out. It bothered him immensely to the point of not sleeping.

“The ship took massive damage, and our Hyper core, and shield generators have been knocked out. We are still a ways away from Dremora space, and our communications are still jammed. Sir if we have to fight them again I fear we may not-”

“Bite your tongue.” Madwick growled as he slammed his fist down on a control console denting it a little, “Get us on the fastest route to Dremora space and make haste for it.”

“Yes sir!” The soldier said as he did not continue his statement.

“Also I want all engineers crews on the double to the shield and hyper core repair as soon as the ship is patched up.” Madwick ordered sitting on a seat looking over the bridge.

“Very well sir.” A woman said as she began speaking into a headset.

“So we’ve gone from two days of waiting to five?” Eddie asked as he sat next to Madwick on the ground as he tossed the gas mask helmet from hand to hand, “Got to say Madmutt Airlines is quite terrible.”

“Eddie you can bite your tongue as well. I had not planned on this especially the destroying of my warship and the many death of the soldiers and crew under my command.” Madwick spat as his face took on a dark shade.

“Jesus christ Madwick your still get hung up on death? You have to let it go, just because someone is under your command doesn’t mean you have to keep them alive all the time.” Eddie explained getting up and speaking over Madwick’s shoulder as if he was an advisor and Madwick was a king.

“Eddie do not speak to me as if I’m a child.” Madwick growls as Eddie backs away a smirk crossing his face, “I will try with every fiber of my being to see every soldier to see their families again. I serve the Dremora Clan with complete loyalty and determination. I would take a bullet for any of my men.” Madwick tapped his wrist speaking into it, “Aria what’s the news on Ryder?”

“Well if you die I got your ship right Lapdog? Also it’s good to hear you still care about me.” Ryder said as he walked onto the bridge in full armor. The black plates still scuffed and the paint on the right side scratched off revealing the original sliver armor, “And I thought you hated me, ‘the scum hunter’?”

“It’s good to see your doing well, however we are on our last legs and a bit a ways from help. So we are going to make haste there, but I have no idea if we might have to fight again. I may need you to help.” Madwick said with a angry fire in his eyes.

“Okay, I got the Xeno Rampant and have a crew to man the guns so I can. But the shield generators are not fully working, but they’ll be up soon.” Ryder said with a nod of his head, “How long until we get to Dremora space?”

“Sargeant how long till we get to friendly space?” Madwick asked

“Fifteen hour-” The sergeant was cut off by another crew member.

“Sir twenty plus enemies a point three four, six seven and ten point five!” A woman said warning all of the bridge of the incoming attack, “Captain Madwick there is also a enemy ship right in front of blocking our path!”

“All crews battle stations!” Madwick ordered as he got up, “All power to spire ram and to engines and thrusters. If they do not get out of our way we’ll go through them!”

“I’ll get in my ship and cover you!” Ryder said as he looked to Eddie, “Eddie let’s go I need you on one of the guns.”

“I get to shoot stuff? Nah I’m going to stay on the boring bridge” Eddie said sarcastically as he got up placing the gas mask helmet on.

“I want that back.” Ryder said pointing at Eddie.

“You will… Maybe.” Eddie said under his breath, “See you Madmutt!” Eddie called back as he exited the bridge.

“Zero get the XR ready we’re defending Madwick’s warship.” Ryder said into his wrist communicator as Eddie and him ran down the hall to Ryder’s ship.

“Alright, should I power up the guns?” Zero asked her voice crackling a bit from static, “And it’s good to hear from you again and to know you’re alright.”

“Zero greeting can wait for later, but it’s good to be back.” Ryder said back cracking a small smile under his helmet, “And yes how are the shield generators?”

“They’re mostly online, but still a bit weak.” Zero said with a bit of frustration.

“Well that will have to do for now, power them up and prepare the XR for battle.”

“I understand Shadow.” Zero said as the connection was cut.

*****************************************************************************

Ryder jumped into the pilot’s seat as the ship began to lift off the ground. Ryder pressed a few buttons as a heads up display popped up is his vision. The HUD was red and had four circles in the bottom right corner with different symbols. Suddenly the circles began to glow signifying that there were people on the guns. Ryder pushed the throttle forward as the ship flew into space the ice storm was fading as they moved along, “Ryder there’s an incoming message from Madwick.” Zero notified Ryder as she looked at a clipboard appearing next to Ryder.

“Patch him through.” Ryder simply said as he griped the controls tightly looking for a target, which he found many surrounding them completely.

“Ryder we’re breaking through the ice storm it should be clear space from here on out.” Madwick said as he appeared on the console in front of Ryder from the waist up. His body had a red hue to it.

“So is that a good thing or a bad thing?” Ryder asked as he flicked some switches above him.

“It’s good and bad, but more of the latter,” Madwick said, “All we need to do is get through, it doesn’t matter what shape we’re in. As long as we get there we will be fine.”

“Alright people pick your target and call them out as they come into range.” Ryder said as his ship transformed the W shape ship turning into a Y shape. Two wings came out of the sides of the cockpit. Two cannons came out of the nose of the ship. Four miniguns built up on the wings two under two up on top.

“Shadow the Xeno Rampant is in full attack mode. Heavy blaster cannons online, minigun turrets online, ion cannon online, plasma cannon online, plasma repeater online, cycler turret online, shields at seventy-five percent. All systems check out.” Zero said as she looked at Ryder.

“Madwick I’ll try my best out here, but do not expect any miracles. Try the best you can to get to Dremora space even if it means leaving me behind. I’m a smaller and harder target to hit. Try to get reinforcements as fast as you can.” Ryder said as he prepared for the upcoming battle.

*****************************************************************************

I got up from the chair looking over the club. My tail slowly swished from side to side as my anger was bubbling over. (Madwick where the hell are you. I expected you five days ago.) I growled to myself my hand gripping the wine glass tightly. My black nails scratching the clear spotless glass.

“My grace.” Warbro called behind me in a sheepish tone.

I turned around the black short dress cling to my form tightly as I turned and looked down at the same time, “What is is Warbor.” I asked coldly.

“My highness we found Madwick.” Warbro said standing at attention, as he looked up at me.

I saw my reflection in his visor my eyes burning with a cold fury, “Where is he?” I growled.

“He’s three light years off of the lunar system.” Warbro said

“Why do I feel there is an ‘and’ to this?” I asked

“There is.” Warbro said with a sigh.

“Then spit it out Warbro.” I growled

“He is under attack by an unknown enemy, and is outnumbered ten to one at least.”

“Get my capital ship ready and get my seventh section ready. I want them up in space in three minutes.” I ordered as I placed my glass down on a tray that a woman was holding, “Maya please get Mr. Alcatraz and tell him, you and him are in charge until I come back. And make sure to tell him I’m watching, and if something is out of place he answers to me. The same goes for you too.”

*****************************************************************************

Red, green, yellow, and blue laser flew through space trying to find a target. Ten yellow and brown frigates fired at a lone black and grey ship and blue frigate. The ship dodged the incoming fire like it was nothing as it returned fire. The blue frigate had manies fires exploding out of it hull. The frigate fire blue lasers at any enemy that got close. However through the attempt of the ship and frigate they still took hits. “Madwick sir we can’t take much more of this!” A man said panic clear in his voice.

“Ryder we taking heavy fire!” Madwick said as sparks exploded around him as consoles around him flashed red, “Fordo I want the spire ram activated that ship is going to be smashed in half!”

“Activating ram.” the man said as his finger flew around his console. The ship’s front began to glow a blue as it took on a fiery aura.

The ship blocking the way of the damaged blue frigate fire yellow lasers on the blue frigate trying to destroy it before it got any closer. Madwick’s frigate’s engines glow intensified as it picked up more and more speed. Suddenly the two ships collided blowing up orange flames stretching across the black of space. The Madwick’s frigate exploded out of the inferno. The flames licked at the frigate trying to pull it back into the mouth of the inferno. “Madwick we have five…. No twenty…. No there are thirty-five frigates, destroyers, and dreadnought class ships!”

“Enemy or friendly?” Madwick asked as he got up his face full of worry and anger.

“Friendly!” A woman on the other side of the bridge screamed as the ship shook.

Thirty-five giant ships warped into the battlefield. The ships were colored a purple or blue. The many ship hangar doors opened all expelling fighters, bombers, and gunships. The fighters, bombers, and gunships flew at the enemy ships blasting the frigates. The other Dremora frigates, destroyers, and dreadnought ships formed a shell around Madwick ships as they shielded Madwick’s ship. The heavy cannons of the dreadnought's destroyed the enemy frigates. Before the enemy even knew to run they had been destroyed in a hail of blue blaster fire. The enemy ships began to turn and fly away, but were blown out of space. On the bridge of Madwick’s frigate sparks and panels fell as his crew tried to hold the ship together. Madwick fell back into his seat letting out a giant sigh of relief. A holographic screen putted up in front of Madwick. The image was of Metamora herself looking at him with a look of enjoyment and what looked like disappointment. “Ah Madwick how are you my Captain?”

Madwick got up out of his seat and kneeled, “Miss Dremora I thank you a thousand times over your grace.”

“Rise Madwick. I presume you have the people I requested?” Metamora asked as she began to run her hands along the armrest of her hover chair.

“Yes my mistress I do.” Madwick said as he rose standing at attention, “However they do have a few friends with them. Two being members of Eddie’s gang, One being Rachel ‘Stripes’ Haymen, and some woman I have never seen before.”

“Describe the girl for me.” Metamora asked curiosity taking her, “Maybe I know her.”

“She has to be at least eighteen or nineteen maybe twenty. She has silver hair, maybe five four or five six, and she seemed to be in a simple dress.” Madwick stated not hesitating one bit to disclose the information his leader asked of him, “She definitely is not a bounty hunter she definitely had fear when your soldiers and her first meet.”

“Was she mingling with my men and women?”

“No your Highness. It was just by sight and nothing more. However Eddie seems more sane than he usually is.”

“How so?” Metamora asked now fully intrigued with Eddie.

“Ryder and Eddie seem more buddy buddy now. Like they are able to sit next to each other without staring each other down with a death stare, and or able to not beat the crap out of each other.” Madwick answered.

“Hmm this is interesting. Very good Madwick I had thought you had abandoned you duties as I expected you five days ago.” Metamora said like a disapproving mother.

“I would never abandon my duties even if it was to lose my life.” Madwick sharply answered as if he had been offended, “My complete loyalty and life is to you your Highness. I would rather die than betray you. I had been looking for them for two days. Then for the next two we battled these unknown enemies, then we got through this ice storm only to be attacked again and for your help to arrive.”

“Very good Madwick good to see you're as loyalties are still in place.” Metamora said as her image disappeared.

“Sargent Mactavish I want Ryder and Eddie in my quarters when they are back on my ship.” Madwick said as he got up and walked off the bridge.

“Yes sir!” A man in combat armor said as he saluted as Madwick passed him.

“Lieutenant Aria follow me.” Madwick said as he passed Aria.

“Yes sir?” Aria asked as she began to follow him.

“Aria I want repair crews working as fast as possible. Also I want all crew members and soldiers cleaned up. Her grace herself may come on our ship, I want all people presentable for Mistress Metamora herself.” Madwick said as he nodded at Aria.

“Yes sir… I- I g- I got it.” Aria stumbled over her words as she realised the leader of the Dremora clan could be walking past her in maybe minutes.