Status: First attempt at becoming a successful writer. Hoping it good to read.

In Love With the Manhunter

Chapter 14: Gaming with Friends While Travling

I stood in a forest my red armor, which covered me from head to toe, shined in the dim moonlight. I wielded a shield and sword. Both emitting a white mist of frost. To my right was an angel her white wing glowing in a golden light. She held a gilded staff, and adorning the staff on tip of it was a three clawed hand holding a golden fire. There was also another woman, however this not was not an angel but an assassin. She had on black shiny leather armor that hugged her form tightly. On her forearms and the side of her calves were four foot long S shaped blades. Adorning her fingers were metal claw rings. And a cowl hide her face only revealing bright green feline eyes. Also a white spotted tail stuck out of her lower back. And to my left was a Ranger. He wore metal armor around his hands and forearms, and his legs. And where there was not any metal armor there as leather. He also wore a hooded white cape that flew in the wind. This Ranger carried a silver bow a black crystal arrow already nocked on the bow. In front of them was a dark castle on top of a hill looming over us. From a tall tower in the castle was a green pillar of fire, which shot into the sky a circle of clouds circling around the spire of green fire. It was the home of a dark warlock who wanted to destroy the world. However between us and the castle was an undead horde of zombies, which had been spawned by and to defend the warlock. We stood against them with unwavering courage and determination. I aimed my sword at the undead horde letting out a war cry as I charged. Close behind me the Assassin readied her metallic claws ready to cut down the horde with me. The Ranger began picking off zombies from a distance with a fury of arrows, which landed each time perfectly. The Angel spoke an incantation of unknown words as a pillar of light slammed into the horde as two warrior angels in white and gold armor flew into battle swords in hand. “Be cleansed in the holy light of the Heavens!” The Angel proclaimed as a bolt of yellow lightning struck a zombie frying it to dust.

“The hunter’s aim is true!” The Ranger said as he shot an arrow that was spiraled up a blue fire. As it it a zombie it ricocheted to hit another, then another, then another before the arrow exploded into a blue flame.

“Rally! We shall not fall as Ethiris lends me his strength!” I cried as my blade’s frosty mist intensified as the blade also turned to ice. I began to cut down undead with one slash each, “We shall not fall! For Ethiris, FOR ZONDREA!”

*****************************************************************************

When we had finally beaten the horde guarding the outside of the castle, we had beat the courtyard death knights, and had stormed the castle's’ keep. We now stood in front of a massive wooden and metal door. We all placed our hands on it as it opened with a thunderous and eerie creak and bang. There in the tower throne room was a tall skeletal warlock lich. He chuckled to himself as we walked into the room our weapons at the ready. He turned to us his tattered and decaying robes. Adorning his bony fingers were manies gold rings with different color gems. Around his neck was a skull necklace the skulls glowing an ominous green. His bones still held greying flesh the skin more like draped over the browning bones. The heavy door slammed shut with a loud click, “Naive, ignorant, and puny heroes. You can not stop the undead from destroying the living. You are running a fool’s errand that will surely end in death!” The lich said his voice echoing and booming.

“That’s what you think, but the living will put the undead back into the ground where they belong!” The Assassin boldly stated pointing her silver claw at him making a fist, “Let’s make quick work of this stupid warlock so we can put this to an end.”

“He talks too much, he thinks too little, and to top it off he’s overconfident on his abilities.” The Ranger said as he took an arrow from his quiver nocking it.

“We all agree on this?” I asked raising my sword and shield preparing for the battle ahead.

“I concur, the light will purge your darkness, which has befallen over our peaceful lands.” The angel said as she raised her staff, which glow brightly. The Ranger pulled his arrow back his bow and arrow glowing green and emitting a black mist. The Assassin crouched low to the ground her body turning into a shadowy mist as she claws and blades began to glow a evil red. I lowered into an offensive stance my sword’s mist intensifying once more. We attacked as one the Ranger let go of his arrow, which turned into a leaping wolf rocketing toward the Lich Warlock. The Assassin flew through the air in a spiral like an arrow her shadowy from flowing like a flowing fog of darkness. Golden glowing swords flew from the Angel’s staff flying at the Lich. I charged in letting out a war cry as my sword doubled in size glowing in a frosty mist ice covering the blade.

“Fools!” The Lich proclaimed in his booming voice as a green bubble covered him. He outstretched one of his hand, which glew a sickening purple. A massive dragon claw clutched the green wolf as it threw it at the Assassin. The wolf and the Assassin collided with a thunderous explosion. The Assassin flew back slamming to the ground a green flame burning her. As my sword collided with the Lich’s shield it sparked sending my sword flying from my hand. He outstretched his other hand, which was glowing a dull yellow as a shield of bones flew up reflecting the Angel’s sword at me, I brought up my shield to protect me, but it was useless as it was ripped from my hand by a dragon claw and the golden claws pierced my armor sending sprawling to the ground blood pouring from my wounds. I got up to one knee weakly barely able to manage it. I looked behind me to see my sword was thrown to the ground stained by blood. I looked to the ranger seeing him clutching his gut a frosty mist covering his form. He fell to his knees dropping his bow. Suddenly the Lich shot out his hand, which stopped glowing yellow and bright blue electricity ran through his bony hand. Lightning flew from his finger colliding with the Angel. She let out a pained howl as she fell to her knees dropping her staff, which fell with a cling, “Fools you can not stop me you are just delaying the inevitable!” The Lich laughed as he became to slowly approach us.

I heard the sound of metal dragging across metal as I heard the Angel call, “The Heaven’s light shines upon you loyal Knight, cunning Assassin, and you brave Ranger!” Suddenly a pillar of light formed around us as our wounds mended themselves as strength flowed through us. We all got to our feet raising our weapons, “We shall not be deterred by your foul magic Lich! We shall defeat you and bring you actions to an end!”

We did the same attacks we did last time, but now we all glowed a gold and our attacks as we grew transparent armor and wings of angels, “The same attack will not work have you not seen my-” The Lich was cut off as he went to grab the wolf with a dragon claw, but the claw shattered as the wolf charged forward, “Impossible!” The Lich cried as the green wolf collided with his shield, which began to crack. My sword smashed against his shield destroying it in a fury of ice. I spun around using the momentum to slash the lich again. My ice sword cut his right arm off as ice grew on his wound cutting into him. He let out a pain filled screech and he went to send a bolt of lightning into me, but a black and gold spiral smashed into him shoving him back into a wall ripping his robe and shattering three ribs. He let to another screech as his hand shot to his ribs, “This is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!” The Lich cried as he lifted his left hand, which glowed a bright purple as skeletons erupted from the wall holding weapons as they charged us.

“Knight to the Lich I have you!” The Angel said as she flew toward me as I nodded as I charged the Lich.

As a skeleton went to strike me an arrow took off his skull, “Kill the Lich I’ll cover you!”

I charged through the horde of skeletons as the Ranger and Angel covered me. I grabbed the Assassin throwing her into the air. She Flipped and spun through the air she threw knives use her new vantage point to pick off skeleton in my path, “For Glory!” I yelled as I pasted through the horde jumping into the air to cleave the Lich in half.

“N- n- nooo- noo- oooo-” The Lich’s voice skipped unnatural so before the world turned into a black void.

I slammed against the ground skidding to a halt. I heard the Ranger burst into uncontrollable laughter. The Angel rushed to my side as so did the Assassin, however the Assassin snorted and giggled trying to keep in her laughter, “What the hell?! We were so close!” I said as I slammed my fist to the ground. This has been our fifteen attempt fighting the Lich Warlock, and this attempt was their closest.

“Oh- oh- oh my god that was way more better than the ending!” The Ranger said as he doubled over in hysterical laughter tear streaming from his eye, “Y- y- you were l- li- like and t- then you HA HA HAHAHAHAHA!” The Ranger tried to say, but his laughter made him unable to speak.

“Are you alright?” The angel asked softly as she placed her hand on me.

“Yeah but we were sooooo close!” I said as I got up dusting myself off. Suddenly our armor disappeared as we were back to the way we were suppose to be.

The Assassin or now Rachel let out a snort before joining in the Ranger’s, who was now Eddie’s laughter, “I have to say it- it was sort of funny.” Rachel said a snort breaking her word.

“What is happening Ryder?” The Angel or now Jessica asked looking worriedly at me.

“The game must have crashed or-” I was cut off as we popped out of full body capsules, “Or someone turned the game off…” I trailed off as I saw Madwick staring at us with a look of parental disappointment.

Eddie’s laughing stopped slowly as he walked over to Madwick placing his hand onto his shoulder, “Ma- Madwick why did you do that?! We were so close to beating the Lich!” Eddie asked angrily a snort stopping him for a moment.

“We have work to do.” Madwick simple said as he shrugged off his hand, “There is no time for games.”

“Madwick, Madwick, Madwick!” Eddie said as if he was a salesman, “You really have to try it. Seriously man it actually really fun, especially when playing it with others. I mean Madwick I’m playing with a basically stranger, my arch enemy, and my ex!”

“Finally you know I’m your ex and not your girlfriend! YES! Ryder thank you for making me play this! THE CURSE IS BROKEN!” Rachel declared as she raised her arms into the air.

“Okay… I’m a little bit offended.” Eddie said very slowly with a downcast expression.

“Rachel you're welcome, Jessica thank you for not dying of laughter when I face planted, and Madwick Eddie is right you should try these games they are actually quite fun and a great stress reliever, well I should not say that because it depends on the game.” I said correcting myself at the end.

“Yeah I’ll do that when I stop working.” Madwick responded sarcastically but also flatly.

“Madwick you will die before you stop working… No you will probably disobey Metamora before you of all people stop working.” Eddie said not catching Madwick’s blatant sarcasm.

“That’s the point.” Madwick said before clearing his throat, “Anyway I want you all to know that Miss Dremora herself might be coming onto my ship. So we need to be prepared so we need to be presentable an-”

I cut Madwick off waving my hands in front of me, “Whoa whoa whoa, Madwick we are not a part of the Dremora Clan anymore so you can order me or anyone here, and you're on my ship and I’m the commander here.” I said crossing my arms of my chest, “Now yes when we get to Onyx we will follow your orders to the dot, but here you have no authority.”

“So what about me Ryder dear?” A female voice asked seductively as she appear out of nowhere and draped her arms around my shoulders and caressing my chin. Her blue arms were basically around my neck, “Metamora Dremora.”

Eddie had jumped when Metamora appeared out of thin air and now had a bit of anger on his face, “How the hell did you get there?” Eddie asked looking at Madwick and Metamora.

Jessica had jumped as well looking nervously at Metamora, and I would not blame her, “Is this the girl you were speaking of?” Metamora asked walking over to Jessica. Metamora was wearing what seemed to be black battle armor, however anyone could tell the armor was more for show than anything. The armor Metamora was wearing looked more like a dress than anything. There was no armor on her arms, head, and midriff. It was just a simple breastplate and very simple armor around her waist and legs. Metamora heels clicked as she walked, “Hmm yes pure silver hair, maybe twenty, white completion, little on the skinny side though a bit too much I think, but some like that.” Metamora whispered to herself observing Jessica as if she was a piece of art she was appraising, “With the silver and magenta eyes that is a hard color pallet to figure out… Maybe black and a silk red…. No no a pale white and magenta may work.”

Ryder cleared his throat loudly gain Metamora’s attention, “She not looking for a job in your clubs, she doesn’t really have that mentality for you know ‘an entertainer’, and she’s and I are quite busy handling things between each other.” Ryder said taking a seat on a chair.

“Oh Ryder dear I did not know you were setting down with a special someone.” Metamora said placing a hand over her bosom in a bit of fake shock.

Jessica cheeks seemed to take on a red shade as Ryder got up, “No no nononononono.” Ryder said quickly, “No that’s not what I meant we have business to work out with her family and planet as she’s a princess.”

“Are you getting married?! To royalty none-the-less, oooooh Ryder you could be a…. Prince Gale ohh that has a good ring to it.” Metamora said now placing both hands on her chest a smile crossing her face. Also Jessica’s face seemed to take a deeper shade of red.

Ryder coughed seeming to be taken aback and choking on his own spit, “No- no no no- y- you took it wrong again. Miss Dremora it’s a very long story I do not feel like getting into, but basically she’s been exiled from her homeworld by accident because she is with me. I’m trying to figure out where her older sister is to get all of this accidental exile thing, which I’m guess her sister orchestrated. So yeah there is a lot to it, but the bottom line is we're neither girlfriend and boyfriend, nor are we fiancee and fiance. We were just both in the wrong place at the totally wrong time.”

“Hmm I see so that was with the Space Wide net exploding into life with bounty hunter intervention in her disappearance from her kingdom.” Metamora said seeming to be falling into a deep thought.

“Your kidding right…. It’s on Space Wide net?” Ryder asked

“Hmmm.” Metamora said in a cheery tone, “However most of it is just speculation of hoaxes and all the sorts.”

Eddie now cleared his throat gaining Metamora’s attention, “Do you have a question dear?”

“Uhh yeah.” Eddie said as he walked over to her. Metamora towered over Eddie, and Metamora basically bent her body in half bending down still above Eddie, “How in the fuck did you get in Ryder’s ship?”

“Magic has it’s uses.” Metamora simply replied as she looked at her fingers began to glow with white electricity, “I and other Demonious can use magic if you're born with the correct genetic makeup, which I indeed have, however my sister does not. With a high teir invisibility spell you can fool machines and the naked eye easily, however a trained eye and mind can spot people easily.” Metamora explained. After she had finished her little lesson she patted Eddie on the head like he was a pet. Eddie swatted Metamora’s hand away growling, “Easy boy.” Metamora giggled as she stood to her full height.

“So can we get down to business?” Ryder interjected with a shrug of his shoulders, “If you wanted just a little family reunion you could have just called.”

“Right to the point as always Ryder. That was something I liked about you while you served as a bodyguard. However your stoic nature can get in the way of things that life makes you go through. It’s alright to crack a smile here or there. Tell a joke here and there. And-”

Ryder interrupted Metamora with a cough, “Alright I get it, but let’s get down to business seriously.”

“Very well Ryder, but this is not the place to do it. We will talk on Onyx in my private club box.”

Metamora began to walk away, but Eddie grabbed her arm, “Hold on, hold on, hold on. You’re telling me we have to leave with you guys to fucking Onyx to have a little chat chat?”

“Yes.” Metamora simply answered ripping her hand out of Eddie’s grasp.

“Why not tell us here? What if it’s something Mr. Scales over there can fix with a explosion, or what about if Miss Black and White can fix it with a single round into someone’s skull? Why are you going to bring us to the other side of the galaxy to maybe have us all do something? Why not tell us here and get it over with?” Eddie asked.

“Because Eddie you know the people who attacked us? Attacked you in Crime city? They are the one’s Miss Dremora is guessing is behind all this. And we do not know how far their eyes and ears go.” Madwick interjected going face to face with Eddie. Madwick bared his teeth in anger as Eddie gave him a death glare.

“Alright ‘Madmutt’ I’ll play ball... But if this is just some stupid business dealing I will put two bolts between your eye!” Eddie growled as he turned and went toward Ryder’s ship living area.

“You can try, but you will fail Eddie Bullard.” Madwick growled right back as Bruticus and Natalia followed Eddie.

“Metamora is what Madwick’s saying is true.” Ryder asked as he looked at Metamora for confirmation.

Metamora simply nodded as she walked off Ryder’s ship, “It’s just a guess a hypothesis and nothing more.” Metamora sighed as she walked off the ship.

“Well I hope it is wrong if this is the might they have and the destruction they can cause then we have a big problem.” Ryder thought aloud as he too went to the living room.

*****************************************************************************

“Ryder I don’t give a shit! This is bad news!” Eddie protested as he threw his fist down on the table, “You're telling me Metabitch wants us just to simply talk and that’s it? I’m telling you she’s trying to rope us back into the system again, and she’s not letting go of us this time.”

“Eddie you're acting like a spoiled brat.” Ryder coutnerjected slamming his fist on the table, “How can she quote unquote ‘rope us back into the system’? We don’t owe anything or need anything! That was five years ago and we were both broke and racked up a debt with the Dremora Clan earning us that body guarding job.”

“Will you two stop bickering like CHILDREN!” Rachel screamed as she massaged her temples her amber eyes full of anger and annoyance. She had just a grey towel around her body and her hair wet and clumped on her shoulders, “You two have been going at it like this for the past couple of days, and we literally have ten hours before we reach Onyx. Now I do not know if I speak for Jessica, but I can’t get ready with you two hitting, pushing, and yelling each other as if it’s the goddamn end of the universe!!!”

“How about you worry about yourself, and get dressed rather than walking around naked, or maybe drop the towel and show yourself off?” Eddie said a grin crossing his face.

In doing so Rachel grinned back as she punched Eddie across his face sending him reeling back into the booth, and then he proceeded to fall off it, “Does that answer your question ‘huh’? Fucking jackass.” Rachel growled as she looked at Ryder, “Please keep the physical and verbal fighting to a minimum.” With that Rachel walked off her wet bare feet smacked against the metal floor.

Ryder was simply wearing a black t-shirt and jeans, and on the ground was Eddie who was simply wearing a white undershirt and black pants, “Let’s just save it for later.” Ryder said as he could feel a headache coming on.

“Agreed.” Eddie said as he got up massaging his jaw.