Status: First attempt at becoming a successful writer. Hoping it good to read.

In Love With the Manhunter

Chapter 18: A Night to Remember...

With the help of Madwick I placed Ryder on the medical iron bed Ryder had on his ship, “Jesus I do not want to know how much his carcass weights in his armor! Christ I think I have a hernia.”

“Alright we need to get out of here there is no doubt there’s someone’s looking for us.” Rachel said as she walked hurriedly down to the cockpit.

“Do you even know how to fly this thing?” I asked thoroughly out of breath a I limbed after Rachel holding my back.

“Maybe,” Rachel trailed off as I caught up to her, “Let’s just focus on the task at hand!”

“Our survival is… the- the task at han- hand! Jesus Christ I need a second.” I gasped through gulps of air trying to calm my body, which was trying to die at this current time. Saying this snarky remark to Rachel it earned a quick gut punch, which in my current state, knocked out what little breath was in me. “Ugh- I was just speaking what was true.” I wheezed out.

“Keep it up smart ass.” Rachel said under her breath as she continued to the cockpit. When I finally reached the cockpit Rachel was already flipping switches, “This… No… This no, this no. Agh this is so stupid, why is this so fucking complicated?!”

“How about instead of going though even switch and button, asking me, how about you allow me to instruct you!” Zero said frustration clear in her voice.

“Shut up, how about this one?” Rachel said as she pressed a button above her head as a low rumbling sound came from the ship. Suddenly the ship let out a electric crack.

“And you blew a molecular coupling… fantastic! SO Rachel you wanna listen to me before you blow up this ship and us along with it?!”

“Just push over,” I said as I unceremoniously booted Rachel out of the pilot’s seat, “Zero diver power away from blown coupling by seven point forty-two megajoules. Recalibrate engines to eighty-five percent to counter balance and take the strain off remaining couplings check?”

“Sync, calibration in progress… Couplings A, C, D, and E adjusted ready for take off.” Zero reported.

I grabbed the controls pushing the thruster forward as the ship raised into the air and flew out of the hanger.

*****************************************************************************
-5 Years Ago-

“Youngbloods is there anyth’in on your end?” A voice crackled through the ear pieces Ryder and Eddie had in there ears.

“Madmutt one this is youngblood two… I can confirm that the sky is blue, I repeat the sky is fucking blue.” Eddie said with a chuckle

“Stop screwing around!” A voice growled menacingly as Ryder punched Eddie in the shoulder hard. Eddie let out a silent scream of pain as he rolled up his sleeve to reveal a large black and blue bruise.

“Fuck’in A, that left a mark you jackass!” Eddie snarled at Ryder who simply looked at him his grey eyes lazily boring into him.

“Are you two done?” A new silky voice said though the ear piece.

“Yeah, nothing to report Captain.” Ryder said as he scanned the wide streets of New Falox, “Our sector is clean no trace of movement or life… It seems we are being set up to waste our time. I suggest we pull Queen out as she is better off heading to Onyx than sitting there with you.”

“Don’t step out of line youngblood, however you have a point,” the Captain said, “Wraith how is the thermal scope?”

“Nothing, everything is clean.” Wraith’s silky voice basically whispered.

However then Ryder perked up as something moved, (What the hell?) Ryder thought as he lifted his head off of his hand. He looked around seeing nothing, “Captain we may have a problem.”

“Youngblood what’s the problem?” The Captain asked, slowly, but authoritatively Ryder saw the Captain in full combat armor lay his hand on his heavy pistol in the holster at his side.

“Hmm,” Ryder mumbled as he saw another shimmer of something, which was much closer than before, “Wraith give me a though thermal scan around my position.

“On it,” Wraith said as almost instantly she reported back, “Nothing, I think you're just too jumpy-” Suddenly out of nowhere the ear piece exploded into hash static.

“Whelp it seems this boring night has become a little more interesting,” Eddie chuckled as they ducked using the car’s dashboard as cover as bullets began hailing the car they were in. The windshield and windows were shielded, however it was instinct for them.

Ryder ripped open a hidden compartment under his feet as he pulled out a micro machine gun pulling back the slide as he tossed a small pouch of thermite grenade over to Eddie, “Shut up and start throwing!” Ryder shouted as he began blind firing the gun over his head. Eddie simply chuckled under his breath like a mad man as he began pulling the pins off the cylinder grenade tossing them out like he honestly had something better to do. Luckily the car itself was shielded and not the glass. Ryder simply shot him a look as he reloaded the gun finally aiming as he shot. When he was able to see the Captain and the Queen, as most people called her, taking cover behind a bullet hole lined car. The diver and passenger were dead as the windshield was covered in blood. Ryder shook his head as he tossed the gun to Eddie, who had just thrown his last grenade igniting someone in flames as the grenade lanned in the man’s hoodie.

“Ha, it landed in his hood! That’s what you get for wearing a hoodie dumbass!” Eddie shouted through hysterical laughter as the gun lanned in his lap, “What’s this for?”

“I’m earning us some respect.” Ryder simply remarked under his breath as he put the car in drive flooring the car as the wheels squealed loudly. Suddenly a body flew over the hood smashing against the windshield. Ryder came to a drifting halt as Eddie opened the door behind him, “Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!!!” The Captain tossed the Queen in the back of the car as he began firing.

The Captain banged on the car twice as he reloaded his pistol, “Go to Armasicargo, go Youngbloods get Queen out of here!” He got back to cover grabbing a rifle.

Then once again Ryder sped off occasionally hitting a person who was trying to gun them down, however the armored car remained untouched as a clear aura enveloped it, “Alright shield projector on, it will only protect us for a short time before were just another car.”

Eddie chuckled as he looked back at the person we were escorting, “Busty!” Eddie remarked as once again he was punched in the arm, “Stop doing that!”

“Stop acting like a sexual predator,” Ryder said as he jerked the wheel to the side drifting into an alleyway, as the way was being blocked by two armored vans, “Where is Armasicargo?”

“How the hell would I know?” Eddie said shrugging roughly, “You’re the one who pays attention to details and crap like that.” Eddie saw a car heading straight for them as he shot out the window firing at the car. However it did not do much as it was shielded too, “Are we going to play chicken!” Eddie began to chuckle to himself as he sat back down preparing to hit the other car.

“No where going to cheat.” Ryder said as he pushed a button on the console to the side of him as a spike battering ram appeared in front of the car. When the two cars collided the enemy's car smashing it into a wall. Ryder threw the car in reverse and shot down another alley.

“Whelp this turning into a shit show very quickly… Do you think it’s us, or just you?” Eddie asked as he received yet another punch to the shoulder, “STOP THAT!”

“Then shape the hell up and I won’t.” Ryder growled as he burst out of the alley way onto an open freeway. He pushed down harder on the gas, putting the car in a higher gear, as they dodged cars and served into each lane freely.

“Are you two always like this?” Queen asked as Eddie and Ryder looked back

“Pretty much.” Eddie responded as he looked the woman over a few times, “Who might you be sweetcheeks?”

Ryder coiled up for another punch, however Eddie dodged it sending a jab at his shoulder, however Ryder caught Eddie’s hand shoving him back. “You ever trying doing that again, I will rip off your arm and my boot will go up your ass.” Ryder growled as he put both hand on the wheel as he drove off the freeway into the hills of New Falox overlooking the city. Ryder brought the car over to a dirt clearing as he put the car in park. The car stopped with a low whine as the breaks collected dirt. Ryder got out of the car, “Stay here.”

“How about you go-” Ryder slammed his door shut before Eddie could finish. He rolled up his sleeve revealing a silver watch, that when he pressed the side of it a thin metal sheet shot out revealed a holographic map, “Zero can I see my notes? Reactivation code Zulu Echo Romeo Omega 5-23.”

“Codes acknowledged, AI booting up designation Zero. User first lieutenant Ryder Gale.” A woman’s voice said in Ryder’s ear as a small red holographic window opened in Ryder’s vision, which listed varries codes.

“Can you find Armasicargo on the map Zero?”

“Certainly, please wait... Armasicargo is here on grid 5523-77 we are exactly ninety-seven miles from the location of Armasicargo due east.”

“Thank you, you can sign off. Code order: five five monsoon zero zero zulu alpha.”

“Codes acknowledged, AI shutting down.” Zero said as her voice trailed off before an audible beep sounded.

“The perks of having an AI,” Ryder mused to himself as he felt the back of his neck feeling a port occupied by small chip, “Alright let’s see how much trouble we have gotten in for a late drop off.”

Ryder got back into the car slumping down in his seat as he restarted the car. Eddie was currently cleaning the parts of the micro-machine gun. “Have we found our heading yet Captain? Are the star in line?” Eddie quickly and efficiently closed up the gun as he pulled back the charging handle with a light click.

“Yeah, Queen we are going for a long haul, I would advise you keep your head down and out of sight. We might cross into Heckler territory. We will try and keep you safe through the ride.” Ryder said briskly as he sped off the dirt road and unceremoniously onto the highway.

“Keyword is ‘try’.” Eddie remarked as he looked at Ryder, who was looking at him, “What?”

Ryder cocked his fist as he punched Eddie square in the jaw. Eddie’s head collided with the side of the car’s door with a wince inducing crack, however Ryder remained unphased. Eddie fell limp as Ryder grabbed his shoulder placing him firmly upright in his seat. “Ma’am I will protect you, my friend here is just of a smartass.”

A radio crackled to life in Ryder’s ear, “Escort five-five, this is Warlord, respond over.” A gruff voice said through slight static.

“Kingpin, this is Escort five-five, heading to RP Arma. Break we are carrying Jagged Crown unharmed. Break Leaving point Sun Hill over.” I reported waiting for the backlash. Though not truly liked, Ryder and Eddie we’re the, respected, but butt of every joke the Dremora clan made.

“Sun Hill?” Madwick asked irritation seeping out of the ear piece.

“Kingpin we got off track, was not expecting resistance so far out. Silencer down.” I said in a monotone voice.

“Down, or knocked out?” Madwick asked clearly angered.

“We are few hours out, no hostiles in sight, closing by nightfall.” Ryder said with a stifled sigh.

“Solid copy, over and out.” Madwick said as I heard the radio clicked into silence.

“We’re not getting there anytime soon, so if you want to rest you can.” Ryder said over his shoulder as he gripped the steering wheel his leather gloves squeaking slightly. A slight bit of static bubbled in Ryder’s skull as he scratched the back of his head. The static bubbled up again as he repeated his previous action. (Not right now, Zero, I can’t let you wake just yet.) Ryder thought as if he was talking to someone with his voice.

(I do not mean to be rude, but Ryder I want to see the world again.) Zero said lazily as if she was still in a deep sleep.

Ryder let a small cough as a line from a speech rose, which was heavily engraved in his mind, “Soldiers your AIs are not machines awaiting to do your bidding. They are constructs binding with you. We are inserting a constructed being into your brains, and they want to explore the galaxies like newborn adventures. You are their personal drivers, and they are your passengers.”

Ryder coughed again as he placed one leather gloved hand on the back of his neck. His glove brushed up against a mechanical slot. Ryder coughed again as he sighed quickly. “Zero, activation code Zulu Echo Romeo Omega 5-23. Please stay silent, as long as you are quiet the longer you can stay.” Ryder whispered ever so slightly, “Zero no one knows I still have you.”

(Reactivation code accepted, orders acknowledged… I know Mr. Gale, I appreciate you smuggling me out of the military seal bank,) Zero said in Ryder’s head, (Thank you...) Ryder cracked his neck as he keep his eyes on the road. A small transparent purple woman sitting on the dash board ahead of him. She was simply staring out of the windshield into the dark night sky. (Targets three and seven o’clock at ninety miles an hour.) Zero said in my head as I snatched the micro SMG for Eddie’s coat. I placed the short stock against my chest as I used my free hand to pull back the charging handle. (HB-69 submachine gun, it fires nine millimeter bullets at five hundred rounds per minute. Able to pierce most light personal body armor. Assisted aiming available can increase users accuracy from 91% accuracy to 100% accuracy. Mr. Gale you are far exceeding any combat accuracy test, and have vastly improved since… since…. Since nine years ago, on your entrance exam to the NT’s drafting program.)

(Yeah I know prepare the AA and I want to disable, or better yet destroy the vehicles.) I projecting my thoughts. I slapped Eddie upside the head as he simply sputtered to life.

“Where am I? What can I kill? Who’s banging?!” Eddie sputtered out questions at speeds that could rival anything.

“Hostiles, arm up.” Ryder said as he readied the SMG.

Eddie cused as he opened up the glove box a large revolver sitting amongst papers and ammo. Eddie drew the revolver as he began loading it the yellow cartridges clicking and beeping as the were loaded. “The fun never ends for the Gale brothers.” Eddie sighed as he slapped the revolver’s cylinder pack into place.

Suddenly two heavily armored buggies flew off of on ramps effectively boxing them in. Ryder busted out the window as everything slowed to a crawl as he took aim. He loaded the clip into the buggy's passenger window as it shattered a body slumping to the side as the buggy drifted off crashing. “One down three to go.” Ryder growled as he ejected the clip as it clatter down the asphalt. As the second buggy crashed into our side Eddie’s mechanical arm shot out smashing clean through the tinted driver window. Quickly Eddie fired as the driver and gunner fell limb, for go measure Eddie pulled out a grenade tossing it into the buggy. I slammed the gas to to the ground as we accelerated away from the buggy, which exploded.

“Two down, one to-” Eddie was cut off as a explosion rocked us. The Car shield shattered as we fish tailed left spinning out. “Goddamn it… OUT OUT OUT!” Eddie shouted as I saw the last buggy’s turret aim at us.

*****************************************************************************
Ryder pulled up in a old van as it’s engine roared as three armored SUVs began to trail him as heavy turrets trained on the rusting van. Ryder glared at the guns as he began to slowly drum his right hand fingers. “Kingpin, this is escort five-five how copy, over?”

“Escort five-five this is Kingpin, solid copy, break. How is the state of Queen and Silencer.” A gruff voice said over the radio as the turrets on the SUVs disengaged aiming in forward positions.

Ryder looked at his brother smacking him up side of the head. Eddie snorted as he held his head tightly, “What the fuck, where am I, what time is it?” Eddie shot off a collection of questions in remarkable time.

“Silencer is awake, Queen is fine, unharmed over.” Ryder reported as he fell forward a bit about to nod off to sleep. Suddenly a flash of fire burned in his eyes. Ryder jolted back up basically slamming his head against the headrest. Both hands dug into the steering wheel as his knuckles turned a ghostly white under his gloves.

“Tired Rookie?” Madwick said over the radio a slight chuckle adorning his words.

“No, just been driving too long sir.” Ryder quickly said as he did not understand how his superior could have know he almost fell asleep at the wheel. Ryder shook his head as he followed the path the SUVs forced Ryder down as they entered a armored underground building.

“We gonna be chewed out for this?” Eddie asked hazily looking at Ryder

“Probably.” Ryder muttered as he growled a bit.

“No, you boys are getting a promotion.” A female voice said behind them, “I’m looking for new personal body guards. I’m also your new Queen.”

“You can be my superior any day.” Eddie purred as he quickly looked at Ryder. Ryder’s arm cocked as his fist rocketed toward Eddie's face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone here is another chapter, all be it very late, but i digress. Through school and work I will try my best to focus on this story and only this story. So stories like "Sith Revelation", "Wolf Team", and so on will be on hold temporarily. Be assured I will not forget about them, they will continue...