Status: First attempt at becoming a successful writer. Hoping it good to read.

In Love With the Manhunter

Chapter 5: The Calm Before the Storm....

I entered my ship punching the wall. (Eddie you will pay trust me. You shall begging me to just end it, but I will not give you that mercy. You lost that mercy the second you sent your dog on John.) I let out another scream smashing a box filled with energy cells. They hit the ground clanging against the floor, and each other.
That’s when Zero popped up, “Shadow calm down what’s wrong?” Zero said taking on a face of concern. I hit another wall not able to contain my rage. “Shadow talk to me what’s wrong?!” Zero asked again worry no clear in her voice.
“He k-killed him… They killed him!!!” I screamed my throat beginning to burn with the overuse. I ripped off my helmet throwing it against another wall. It hit a wall with a loud thud. I dropped to my knees my breathing becoming heavy, and harder to do. I felt a burning pain rip across my chest. I began clawing at the armor plates that was blocking my burning chest. I ripped off the plates seeing no damage, but it hurt so much. Zero disappeared, and then I blacked out because of the immense pain.
******
My eyes fluttered open to Zero. I groaned shaking my head placing my armored hand to my chest. I began to hear a steady rhythm of beeps. She looked at me with a look of worry, and relief when I sat up. “You began to worry me big guy.” Zero said looking at a transparent purple clipboard. I took off the sensors, and the oxygen mask. A monitor began to beep rapidly until it was silenced. I got off the metal bed some of my bones cracked, and popped. Jessica winced at every pop, and crack that my bones emitted. “Now can you please tell me what the heck that scene was about?”
I just stood there like a statue. I could feel the anger began to rise in me again, but I was able to contain it. “Eddie’s dogs murdered John.” I said in a shaky voice, and I clenched my fists tightly, “He’s going to pay for what he’s done.” I began walking to my ship’s armory know I would need all my firepower for this. I was interrupted from my brooding when a soft melody reached my ears. The hallway I was in split. One lead to my armory the other a room I had almost forgotten. The music seemed to be coming from the room. When I entered it I saw Jessica sitting at a piano, and was playing a song. It was slow and soft, it was simple, but it felt like it was telling a complex story. It continued with the same notes becoming ever so soft until dieing out. It started up again growing louder. It still had the same notes, but then two new ones began to come in. It picked up speed. Jessica’s hands danced around the piano keys almost as if this was a song she knew very well. The song blended high, and low noes to make a almost harmony. As the song reached it’s high point it stopped. The last note ringing out in a low rumble. Then she started up again with the same notes as the beginning had. They were slow and simple again. They continued for a minute before ending, and dieing away.
I knocked on the door frame clearly startling her, “Oh you scared me.” She said in surprise
“Nice song... Does the song have a story, or something?” I asked leaning on the metal door frame.
“It’s a song I loved as a child. My mother taught me it when I was eight,” Jessica continued pushing some silver hair out of her simular silver colored eyes, “It’s about a knight who goes into battle. He fights valiantly, but soon falls to a blade all too familiar to him. When he turns to see the attacker it is his brother. The knights asks ‘why’. His brother was jealous of his brother’s popularity, and believes if he kills him he will gain the praise that his brother gets. Soon the knight dies and his brother is tried for treason, which the punishment is death.” Jessica’s eyes began to fill up with tears.
I walked over to her pulling a chair over to sit across from her. She tried to wipe her tears away just to have them fill up again with salty tears, “I guess you should know something about me, as I know a lot about you.” I cleared my throat, “I had a rough life. It is filled with death, and sorrow. I was only fourteen when my parents were killed by a gang. Then when I was eighteen my younger brother and sister were hunted down and butchered. I was raised on a way of forget what your enemy does to you. But now I think I’m finally broken. I lost a friend… No more like a second father, and I can’t contain myself anymore.”
Jessica sniffled a little asking something, “Do you know who killed them?”
My eyes also began to tear up before I just blinked rapidly removing the tears, “When my family was alive we had a neighbor. Their family wasn’t the best there father was an abusive alcoholic, while their mother was a drug addict with the same abusive outbursts. They had one son named Eddie who was receiving their parents abuse. My family got the cops, and got them away from Eddie, and we basically adopted him into our family. The thing was he was the one who got my family killed, and I hated him for it. I let it all go through just flying into the stars leaving it all behind. While in those stars I found a woman whom I loved. When the time come for me to propose I got on my knee reach for the box, which held the ring, only for her to get… to get killed by one of Eddie’s thugs butcher her. I-.... I snapped.” I continued holding back another round of tears that were trying so desperately to come out.
Jessica’s tears were going away as she looked into my eyes which I could not hold her gaze. She seemed to be silently telling me it all right.
“I just grabbed him and beat him to death. She watched me as I killed her murder. When I went over to her she was barely breathing. I sat there with her until she passed. When the authorities showed up I was taken into jail on the murders,” Jessica went to say something, but I just continued, “I had it bad with the cops, as I wasn’t clean. I had a many records with them. So I was held responsible as I had no evidence to my innocence. I killed the only person who could have been another suspect. I was in that prison for ten years before I was filed as innocent. When I got back onto my ship I swore to myself I would never love again… I don’t know what to do. My heart is telling me to get revenge, but my mind is saying to let it go.”
“But he has been held in court for those murders right?” Jessica asked almost silently commanding me to say yes with her silver eyes.
“No…. He’s built up a gang in this city, which outnumbers the cops one to three. I want to agree with my mind, but my heart is pulling me to kill them all. I can’t listen to my mind anymore I think… I know I’m going to kill him. I’m going to kill them all.” I finished rising from the chair. I walked out of the room not looking back feeling my eyes water again, “You will suffer Eddie… As much sorrow you have caused me.” I whispered to myself clenching my hands into fists.
******
When the machine placed the last plate to my armor in place I grabbed the helmet from the hook putting it on. I began to fill my armor full of weapons. I filled the pouches around my waist, chest, and legs full of grenades and ammo. When I placed the rifle into it’s holster Zero came up to me, “Shadow I-”
I cut her off, “Zero I understand if you want to talk about things, but I’m not in the mood. I’m going in there rather to kill him, or let the cops take him. Either way he’s going to die quickly or rot in a cell... He’s going to end dead anyway.” I took two pistols twirling them before placing them in their holsters on my thighs clipping them in.
“Shadow This seems to good to be true. If the cops just wanted Eddie then why would they ask now rather than all those other times?” Zero asked almost gaining my attention, “Doesn’t it seem just a bit fishy?”
I grumbled a bit before grabbing a large combat kukri knife that I took with a heavy growl, which wasn’t due to it’s weight. I unsheathed the knife reading the blades inscription beginning to grind my teeth in silent anger. I sheathed the knife placing it on my left shoulder plate. Jessica then entered the room looking at me with a look of concern, “What.” I snapped out venom dripping from the word making her flinch a bit Zero looked at me as if she was going to gut me right then and there, “Sorry I’m just dealing with a crap ton of anger at the moment.”
“It’s ok.” Jessica said not looking at me placing her right hand over her left bicep.
“Anyway Shadow you know this is a trap right? I mean they had five years to ask you to help them, but you just show up on a random day and they ask you.” Zero crossed her arms over her chest, “Doesn’t it seem a bit weird?!”
Zero appeared on my shoulder and flicked my visor, “I not doing this for the cops I’m doing this for me.” I said closing the weapons cache the metal cache disappearing into the ground.
“Eh bullshit, you're going in to clean your slate and pay your own debts off. And maybe go with your gambling friend and gamble your money away!” Zero’s form turned a light red hue before her form glitched. Her projection froze, and then went nuts some parts of her were missing or a blurry image.
“Zero don’t fucking push me, and calm the hell down.” I barked back my face scrunching in anger.
Zero began to distort, but would turn back to normal here and there, “NO! I have have watched to go out and basically jump in front of death just because you wanted to settle a debt, or because someone asked you to because he waved money in your face you dumbass!”
Jessica squeaked a bit backing into a corner as I punched the wall leaving a giant dent in the metal, “Zero calm the hell down now, and shut your mouth! I have more than you know making me do this.” I spat back clutching my fists in anger. My knuckles a sickening white as I tried to clench them into a fist even harder trying in a vain attempt to subdue my anger. Zero continued to berate me, but I blocked it out.
“And furthermore you still persist you throw yourself in harms way just because you have bigger gun and thicker armor!” Zero shouted, “Hell your own basically brother turned on you!” Suddenly Zero stopped her from paused before it took back its original pinkish purple color. My grey eyes shot open burning with a cold fury. The glitches stopped and she had her hands over her mouth, “Shadow I-”
“Instruction shutdown protocol 727-82.” I snarled out. Zero’s projection froze before her form disappeared into the pedestal she was standing in. I again unsheathed the knife looking at it’s inscription growling even more. I walked to the exit pressing a button as a door shot open and a ramp began to extend out to the ground, “Jessica if you need Zero just go up to any of those pedestals and put this chip into it. I said as I removed the chip out of my gauntlet and tossed it to her. She caught it looking at me if I was some sort of monster, but when I looked deeper into her eyes I saw a bit of concern. As I stepped off the ramp the door shut and the ramp went back into the ship. “I hope Stripes is having a easier time then I’m having.” I said walking out into the rain.
******
I hung by a chain upside down ready to tear someone’s head off as two men constantly argued with each other, which was getting very annoying, and furthermore pushed me around while on the chair as if I was some type of toy. I would love to tell them to stop, or better yet beat the shit out of them. But hey option two seems to be the most efficient, and the most sane choice. (I swear to god if Shadow does not get here fast I am going to kill him a thousand times over and-!) I was ripped away from my thoughts when I felt a hand on my rear. I tried to turn and face the person, but I was held in place. I tried to say something, but all that left my mouth was muffled grunts. Then I remembered the plasma tape over my mouth, and the great benefits to plasma tape is it never comes off unless switched off, and not to mention is extremely durable. I growled as the one who was behind me came in front of me.
“You’re a feisty one aren’t ya.” He said as a smile crossed his face. I tried to say something but it was no use, “What’s that you say?” he said obviously mocking me, but his joke backfired as he leaned in. I threw my head forward headbutting him directly in his stupid face. He fell back holding his head a small trickle of blood falling from his forehead, “Why you little bitch!” He raised his hand to hit me but then a sound akin to thunder and a engine revving emanated behind him. The man who was about to hit me was thrown across the room, and I was plastered with blood. When the man fell into a sitting position. The man just sat there on the floor completely cut in half. His waist and legs sat beside his body, arms, and head. I looked to my left to see a man standing there with a large silver gun the four barrels around each other forming a square slow began to stop spinning. He pressed a button on the gun as the gun spat out a red cylinder that had a glowing inside. The cylinder had one side that was burnt black while the over side was glowing like fire. When I looked back at the man he stepped out of the shadows revealing his face. He had two long scars running across his cheeks, black hair, and hunter green eyes. I was thankful, but at the same time I hated him. (I’ve gone from bad or worse. It just had to be him why couldn’t be anyone except him!) I thought as he removed the plasma tape.
He spoke with a voice that sounded gravelly but still held a smooth sound to it, “You alright Rachel?”
“Don’t talk to me you monster!” I snarled through gritted teeth.
When he got me down from the chain and cut off my bindings I throw a right hook knocking him the the ground. He got up and looked like he was hurt emotionally, “What are you talking about Rachel? I saved you from that brute-”
“You killed a innocent old man just because you felt like it. Also for fucking starters Shadow is the only one who’s be helping me since you send your lowlife thugs after me, and a second point he’s been supporting me when I need help!”
“You really think he helps you? How long is it till you can stay with him? How long until he just throws you away? How long do you think you will be useful to him? Once you outlive your usefulness to him he’ll not think twice when he puts a bullet through your skull.” He said stepping closer to me.
“What are you talking about? You're just explaining yourself... No… no, you’re just explaining what you’ve become.”
“He sure did it with me.” He said as he opened his trench coat and shirt revealing a giant patch of skin the was terribly burnt even some parts of his skin were black. When he rolled up his sleeve he had a robot arm that had pieces of skin showing here and there, “If you think he will keep you around as a friend then you're more stupid than John was.”
I chuckled, “No you’re the one who need to take their head out of their ass. You're completely and utterly insane, you think just because you still love me means I have to stay… You’re the one who needs to realize things. I moved on while you still held on. I may have loved you before, but I don’t anymore. When Shadow gets here you can continue your little play time with your gang here if you let me go, but if you keep me here and keep me away from Shadow he’ll mow you all down until there’s nothing left.”
“You don’t even know his real name how pathetic, but yet I the supposed ‘insane one’ knows your real name and you know mine. Rachel that shows you something doesn’t it? You can pick the people who know you or the people who don’t… You can pick me or him. What’s it going to be Stripes?”
I stood there silent trying to processes what he said. (He’s right, but Shadow wouldn’t… No John was a prime example Shadow never killed him, but he never had anyone close to him except his AI Zero and never gave me his name. Wait! Jessica yes that’s it! She has no use to him, but still keeps her alive! Yeah, who cares if I know a name he isn’t a murdering psychopath like he is!) I thought looking back at him, “Shadow never would do what you do you’re wrong. Who cares if I know his name. That’s where you're wrong Eddie that’s where you're wrong.”