Status: First attempt at becoming a successful writer. Hoping it good to read.

In Love With the Manhunter

Chapter 7: Out of the Pan into the Fire

I flew the ship straight at the sentinel ships, and suddenly a horde of enemy fighters poured from the vanguard ships hulls I flew toward one of the closer one diverting my course a bit, “Bruticus fire on my target!” I said as I pulled the trigger on the control stick as four miniguns spin up. And after a few second streams of red lasers flew from my ship heading for the hanger bay of the unprotected vanguard ship.
“Charging up ION cannon,” Bruticus said as a loud noise of a weird cross between an electricity surging and the humming of open electricity began to get louder and quicker, “Firing in three… Two… One, firing ION cannon!” Bruticus said as a loud bang erupted from the top of the ship as a purple bolt circled by blue rings flew at the vanguard ship. When the bolt collided with the ship's hangar it erupted in electricity as the lights of the ship began to flicker. The ship began to fall toward the water abyss. I took a double take on the water seeing it to be more teal and it seemed more calm than the rage fill waters I knew.
“Natalia how much more time?” I asked as the ship rattle heavily as the many gun of the small armada began to fire upon us. Green and yellow lasers flew at us as I tried my best to dodge them as I banked, dropped, and spun avoiding the lasers.
“T mus ten, nine, eight, seven, six.” Natalia began to count down. I dive bombed toward the water hoping to any higher power that loved to fuck with me will just piss off for a moment. We hit the water before it began to drain at an alarming rate. We flew toward the water, “Those engines are going to need a good drain after this.” I grumbled to myself. Suddenly we broke the surface of the water as it fell on top of us. We flew through the rocks formations which were hidden by the water. We flew through a ring as two fighter trailed us firing their green lasers. Most of the lasers missed us hitting the rock around us, but the bolts that did the ship rattle, which I winced at every rattle.
“Eddie, Natalia, Stri- Rachel can anyone take out those ships!” I said as I dodged a giant rock spire that popped out of nowhere, “Zero get us into attack mode!”
“I’m trying, but your suppose to be still when changing forms. However if you want me to try and maybe break the wings off the Xeno Rampant then I will gladly transform the ship.” Zero said the last part coming through gritted teeth.

******
Eddie swiveled back the small orange grids moving with me as the three yellow arrow danced around the small screen. Eddie pulled in the triggers as the four barrels moved back and forth quickly orange red lasers flew at the starfighters trying to bring them down, “Why is this stupid gun having such a difficult time to take down one ship?” Eddie asked no one in particular. Suddenly the ship dived as they flew into a cave they only light in the cave where the lasers that flew around Eddie shifted his gaze down as he saw one of the arrows cross one of the grids. He pulled the triggers again as a giant blue explosion erupted out of nowhere. “HA HA!” Eddie shouted as he knew it was one of the starfighters after them.
“Good shooting Eddie!” Ryder said as he jerked the control stick hard right as the ship scraped against the rock wall. Then he threw the thrusters down quickly as the many ship flew forward disappearing into the darkness. Ryder squeezed the trigger as manies red lasers ran into the darkness another two blue explosions illuminated the cave as Ryder punched the thrusters back up the ship lurching back into full speed. Ryder dodged another rock wall shooting out into the light. Then he jerked the control stick right as a giant yellow beam shot toward them nearly missing them. Even from inside the ship Ryder could feel the heat radiating off the beam. Ryder pulled the trigger again as the red lasers flew forward as another bang erupted from the top of the XR as another purple laser circled by blue ring slammed into the sentinel ship the beam it was firing began to flick before for it dissipated in a blink of an eye. Then suddenly the light of the ships flickered before it began to fall. Ryder punched the ship into high gear as the sentinel ship crashed with an ear deafening explosion as the golden flames jumped into the sky almost engulfing a vanguard ship. The flames licked at the XR’s back in a vain attempt to pull it to the ground. As the XR blasted to higher ground out of the rocks and coral where the water should have been as another four starships flew at them green lasers the lasers oddly missing them but then a white outline of the ship flickered.
“Deflector shields at fifty-five percent and dropping fast, Shadow the generators are charging up the main shields will be up in twenty-five second just hold out for a few more seconds!” Zero said as the ship shook violently the white outline growing brighter, “Deflectors at forty percent! Radiation spike!” Zero said urgently
“How much?” Eddie said through the mic static lightly rumbling in the speakers.
“Fifty-five million curies!” Zero said simply in awe
“RYDER MOVE THE FUCKING SHIP!!!” Eddie shouted at the top of his lungs. Ryder did exactly what Eddie said as a enormous frigate exploded into the fray. The XR seemed to be the size of a pebble compared to the huge frigate.
“How the hell are we going to take that beast down?” Rachel asked
“I have no idea!” Ryder said jerking the control stick away from the frigate as manies green lasers bombarded the ships around the XR taking down the many sentinels and vanguard ships the frigate seemingly ignoring the XR. “Wait what?” Ryder asked slowly examining the scene around them. The frigate oped it’s hager bay as the XR flew past it. Ryder rebounded back as the shipped rattled as it took another hit the white outline cracking away. The XR crashed into the hanger the grey metal frame screeching across the hangar bay’s floor bright yellow sparks jumping away from the ship before disappearing as they fell to the floor. The XR slammed into a number of ships as it screeched across the floor. When the ship final came to a halt the ship leaned to flip on it’s back, but with a metallic groan as the ship slammed back on it’s belly right side up. Ryder let out an exaggerated sigh unbuckling himself from the seat. Ryder got up unbuckling Jessica as she removed the helmet from her face her silver hair falling limply passed her shoulders half down her body. When Ryder looked out to the hanger he saw people and robots rushing around to put out the fire that were burning and a number of them were in midnight purple and dark blue combat armor surrounding the XR tracking any movement from the ship with their rifles. Ryder offered a hand to Jessica and when she placed her hand into his he gently lifted her up. She stumbled a little but soon found her equilibrium again. “Yeah it’s going to feel like that until your body get us to the g-forces of this ship.” Ryder said to Jessica who just nodded in response. When Ryder exited the cockpit into what could be called a living room as Eddie, Rachel. Bruticus, and Natalia all met together. They all exited the ship Jessica seeming to stay behind the group of bounty hunter and gang members. When the group got out of the XR all of the soldiers and robots aimed their rifles at them, which now had red laser coming out of them marking where the bullet would land. Ryder and Eddie placed their hand secretly on their guns ready to draw them at a moment’s notice. Then all of a sudden the soldiers lowered their weapons as a another walked forward with a pistol at his side and his hands behind his back. This one was different as his stature looked more like a humanoid dog as his legs and hands formed the was of a dogs, but hand humanoid fingers and stature. The dog soldier had a helmet in the shape of a dog’s skull and he was taller than everyone else except Ryder. The soldier was if they could all guess was around seven-five or maybe a bit taller, but Ryder did stand a few feet taller than him. The dog soldier’s helmet basically melted away like it was some sort of purple liquid slug. When the helmet melted away a face of a scared huskey looked back. He was black and white with one brownish red eye looked back the other eye was a robotic white orb, and around the eye subtle and harsh burn marks could be seen surrounding the eye.
The Husky soldier stared down Eddie and Ryder seeming to see if he could turn them to stone with his gaze before he spoke in tired old words, “How in all of Winter did I fine you two?” The Husky asked no one in particular.
“You still believe in that ‘Winter’ crap?” Eddie asked saying winter as he got cold putting extra effort into the word winter.
“Yes it’s not totally illogical as already almost forty-five percent of all known galaxies have lost their stars and are running off of fake stars that barely provided any scrap of warmth, if that.” he said in retort focusing more on Eddie with a complete even tone devoid of emotion, “And why does it matter? I don’t comment on our insane delusions on world domination while your gang is in… eh how can we call it a gang if only three people ‘including yourself’ remain?” Eddie growled before turning taking his two gang members off to the side. The Husky turned to Ryder, “Scum Hunter.”
“Lap Dog.” Ryder said in response with the same even tone the husky did. Then a silence inside as the two just stood their as Ryder took off his helmet revealing his face. As the husky and him threw their arms together Ryder tucked the helmet under his left arm. Their hands came together with a metallic clap. It seemed their aggression toward each other was in a friendly tone, or it was just subdued in seek of being professional in business. “So what does the great Dremora Clan doing in this fine neighborhood this time of year? You could have called, we would had the place cleaned up the mess we made if we knew guest were coming over.” Ryder said in dry humor as if it strained him to crack jokes and keep gags rolling.
“When did you of all people get a sense of humor? Well looks like I lost that bet with Aria I really thought you would have but a bullet through Eddie’s skull before you got jokes in your wide arsenal of tricks.” He said placing his fingers on his hips
“Aria, now that’s a name I haven’t heard in ages how’s the brat doing?” Ryder asked placing his helmet back on his voice returning back to a muffle metallic voice.
“‘The little brat’s’ doing well, thanks for asking,” A woman said as she jet packed down from a catwalk far above them. She used her jet pack to be eye level with Ryder her jet pack letting out a light hiss, “By the way I was eleven in a tank that was eighty-five degrees and we were basically back to back with your fat ass in the thing.”Aria spat back with a friendly harshness to her voice.
“Yeah well I had to listen to a eleven year old girl’s whining while in a eight-five degree tank held together by sheer willpower.” Ryder pointed out. As he crossed his arms over his chest as Jessica made her way back onto the ship.
“She new, where did you pick up her?” Aria asked placing a hand on her hip resting her other hand on her pistol holster.
“Long story that I don’t feel like going over. A more important question is why does the Dremora Clan come in saving someone that left them?”
“Miss Metamora personally would like to speak to Eddie, but more to yourself however the more the merrier.” the husky soldier said placing his hands behind his back.
“Miss Metamora personally? Yeah... No she lost me ‘personally’ after she cut my pay, and also after trying to bed me constantly. Now the the second part I don’t care much about nor hold it against her, but I’m not in for some petty love interest. Rather she pays me fully and a bit more or I walk. Simply as that.”
“No it a personal request as we have a problem the she would like your and Eddie’s help. But we can’t speak of it here it not secure, and I’m not fully informed with the details either, so I’m taking you all to Dremora clan space, and on Onix. You will meet with Miss Metamora there.”
“Well it looks like I’m going to have to see if my old suit fits. I said as I walked back on my ship. When I did Eddie soon followed me. When we all were on the ship I shut the door leading out to the hanger sealing it tight as we all met up at the living area of my ship.
“So what the deal with ‘Miss bed anyone’?” Eddie asked slumping down in the booth.
“It seems they have a problem with something and want our help. The frigate rumbled as I guess we went into hyperspace but that was a guess, “And they are not take no for an answer so we are heading to Onix.” I explained not getting a reaction out of anyone.
“The girls aren’t bad there, but I don’t think any of them want me back there.” Eddie said placing his hand on his chin a smile crossing his face.
“Onix, I haven’t been there in ages and the last time I went I was disguised as a dancer to take out a man when I was sixteen.” Rachel said smiling a bit.
“What’s Onix?” Jessica asked totally unaware what we were talking about.
Before I could answer I was cut off by Eddie, “It’s a giant club citadel run by some women me and Ryder use to know, and that very women made it into a Gentlemen’s club, however no gentlemen are ever seen in it.” Eddie said very bluntly, “And that woman also may have tried to bed Ryder and I manies times and some worked…. Not really.”
“Anyways we and by ‘we’ I mean Eddie and I have to speak to that very Woman who owns it and half the friggin’ galaxy sector. So We are traveling more than half the know space to get there, which every with faster than light travel is about a two day trip.” I said resting my hands on my belt, “So Eddie and your people can sleep here and Stripes I don’t care, and Jessica I don’t care either.” I said getting a look from Eddie, “It my ship I make the rules unless you want to see if ‘Miss bed anyone’s’ troops got a room for you and I don’t think they will treat you any better than I am. They probably treat you worse so it’s your pick Eddie.” I said the look disappearing from Eddie’s face, “If anyone needs to the bathroom with tub and stand in shower is on the next floor.” I said walking to the cockpit trying to think of a way to get the ship off its hull on landing gear.

******
I let out a yawn as I finally got the ship on it’s landing gear. I had taken off my chest piece of the top of my armor sitting there in a black tank top. I pressed a few buttons as I looked at the time seeing it was well past eleven o’clock. Zero appeared looking at me, “You should get some rest this is probably going to add to the three nights you might go without sleep right?”

“No, I’m-” I was cut off when I let out another giant yawn, “I’m going to bed soon don’t worry. Zero I’m not in the army anymore so you don’t have to constantly watch over me like I’m child.” I said powering down the ship except for the inside power. I got up stretching as I walked to the elevator. When I entered it I pressed the up button as the it rose with a low hum. When I reached the second floor I got out grabbing a towel from the cabinet outside the bathroom. When I entered the room was a little steamy and a bath had been drawn with bubbles hiding the water completely. I turned on the sink as I washed the dried blood that ended up on my face after I almost basically died from the shield I put up. I went to grab the towel I had put on the side of the sink to find it gone. And then I heard someone take in a breath as if they had been under water as water began to drip to the tiled floor. I sighed heavily as I rubbed my eyes with my gloved fingers trying to get the water and soup out of my eyes that was still there. (I probably should have taken these off) I thought looked at the soaked gloves.
“Hey, wanna take a look?” Rachel asked behind me basically cueing the words
“No and I’m sink of your games, you do this basically every time your here.” I said finding the towel in her hand leaning over the tub, “You do know there’s a lock on the door right?” I asked
“Wait there a lock?” she asked as if it wasn’t a normal thing.
“It’s a bathroom of course the door has a god damn lock.” I said the sleep depravity I put on myself making me a bit grouchy.
“How about just a tiny tiny peek so you can get your towel.” she said giggling a bit.
“No I’m good.” I said as I took off my undershirt wiping my face with it before tossing it into the hamper in the bathroom leaving the bathroom making sure to lock it behind me, and before the door shut I heard Rachel sigh. I walked down the hallway to my room opening the door with a sigh. I tossed my gauntlets on a desk and I removed my boots and leggings as I flopped into my bed with just my jumpsuit pants on. I closed my eyes to see a butchered woman lying on the ground a crimson pool forming around her then her killers face appeared before it changed to beaten one that had pieces of bone showing here and there. My eyes opened looking at my ceiling (Why her? Why at that time? Why wasn’t I fast enough? Why didn’t I pay more attention to my surroundings?) questions flashed through my mind repeating again and again. I blamed myself, but it was my fault. I should have done something, but I didn’t. I began to hear metal pounding very softly. I began to hear a soft beeping as I saw a flashing light emanating from my desk, I reluctantly got up picking up on of my gauntlet to see a message pop up on the screen built in the the gauntlet, “We are breaking hyperspace to get through or wait through a ice shower. Depending on the radius of the storm it will determine our approach to the situation at hand -Madwick… God Damn it Lap Dog why would you set a vector if you don’t know if it is clear. Great just what I needed, but then again it gives me time to get some sleep.” I said aloud not really caring who heard me. I took off the jumpsuit pants leaving in my boxers as I started to feel the cold from the ice storm creep into the ship. I went over to a control panel setting it to to light ice storm as i did not want anyone frozen nor did I want anyone burning in their sleep. I closed the control panel I flopped back down on my bed looking up at the ceiling. I did not want to go to sleep as I would see ghosts good and bad from my past, but for my sanity I would sometime so why not start now. As I began to close my eyes I began to see the same thing again my girlfriend lying in a pool of blood her murderer's face, but I pushed that all aside as I stuffed it in a mental closet as I locked it three times making sure it would not come out. Then My eyes shut and sleep took me into swampy water…