Status: one / one

Starry Eyed

one / one

Kellin could feel Vic shift around in the bed. When they moved in he insisted on taking the right side, the side closest to the window. Something about liking the fresh air during the night. Being from San Diego, Victor wasn’t used to the winters of New York.

He probably never would be.

Instinctively, Kellin wrapped his left arm around Vic’s middle and kissed his temple, “go back to sleep, sunshine.” Vic appreciated the gesture and snuggled closer to his boyfriend, who’s voice was clouded with sleep.

“You’re so warm.” His voice was muffled by the other’s neck. The corners of Kellin’s mouth twitched. Vic always managed to put a smile on Kellin’s face, no matter the situation. The paler of the two felt the lips of his tanned boyfriend press against his neck, “happy anniversary, darling.”

Kellin just held him tighter, “happy anniversary.”

Vic pulled back from Kellin’s arms, “so what’s on the agenda today?” Now fully awake, the shorter of the two was able to hold conversation. Kellin racked through his mind, trying to come up with a lie to tell his partner in crime. He wanted tonight to be a surprise.

“We could sleep some more and shit.”

Vic looked up at Kellin who was rubbing his temple, “what’s wrong?”

“I have to go to the shop in a few hours, someone called yesterday they wanted a dragon or something. Their first tattoo.” Kellin hated lying to Vic, but it had to be done in order to surprise him.

“Oh.” Kellin frowned, he could hear the disappointment in Vic’s tone. His voice changed, however, to a lighter tonality, “that’s okay. We have a few hours until they steal you away from me.” That was Vic for you. He could light up any room with just a smile. His laughter was music to Kellin’s ears.

Kellin felt Vic’s lips lightly press against his before pulling away, “you look tired. We can go back to sleep if you want.”

The paler of the two nodded and reconnected their lips. Kellin liked kissing Vic. He loved it.

The three years they had spent together was absolute heaven to Kellin. Vic was the one for him, he was more than sure of it. It didn’t take long for the two to fall in love.

It also didn’t take long before the two returned to sleep.

///


Kellin woke up with a start when he felt around for Vic who was not on his side of the bed.

“Vic?”

Being naturally overprotective of the shorter boy, Kellin grew worried about his boyfriend who seemed to disappear in thin air. He knew Vic to be slightly gullible and easily fooled by those who found it funny to take advantage. He remembered a time when Vic almost spent all of their money trying to “save the whales” when it was just a con man trying to suck their bank accounts dry.

The pale boy sat up from the bed and made his way down the narrow hallway of their apartment, expecting to see an effervescent Vic fully engrossed in a book or dancing around to upbeat music. He didn’t find his boyfriend, but he did find a sticky note placed on the refrigerator written in Vic’s messy handwriting.

Hey sleepyhead! You looked so cute, I didn’t want to wake you :) Sorry, I got called in for a last minute red velvet… I love you. Happy anniversary! x -Vic

Kellin’s worries melted away as soon as he finished reading the note. He liked the way Vic scrawled hearts over every ‘i’. And he liked the way he finished every sticky note message with an ‘x’.

With Vic gone he has time to work on the surprise. He picked up his cell phone and found Jesse’s number, “the best three year-iversary plan is in motion.”

///


“Anniversary time!” Vic sang as he closed the door behind him before kicking off his shoes. That last minute red velvet turned into last minute devil’s food cupcakes and last minute raspberry tarts. It got overwhelming at times, but he loved his job. “Kell-Bell?”

When he got to their bedroom he took a double take. His Kellin was awkwardly sitting on their bed in a suit an actual suit.

Vic was only used to Kellin wearing band shirts and ripped jeans.

“Fancy,” the shorter of the two teased as he pulled on his boyfriend’s tie. Kellin groaned in response. He didn’t like dressing up, but he loved his Vic. Vic sat in Kellin’s lap, putting one leg on either side of him, and wrapped his arms around his neck, “well you look absolutely ravishing.”

“That was the plan, sunshine.”

Vic grinned and ran his hands through Kellin’s dark hair before ducking his head and placing his lips against Kellin’s Adam’s apple. His skin felt like it was on fire with every kiss Vic delivered. The room started to spin and Kellin’s vision began to blur. He pushed Vic back by his shoulders and kissed his forehead, “you keep that up and we’ll never leave.”

“Get out so I can get all dolled up for you.”

Kellin raised an eyebrow, “for me?”

“Only for you.” Kellin rolled his eyes but kissed Vic anyway. “Now leave.”

Kellin chuckled as Vic moved from his spot on Kellin’s lap to the door. “Fine, fine,” he held his hands up in defense and pecked Vic’s pouty lips before leaving the room. He loved his fashionista boyfriend, but hoped Vic wouldn’t take long. Their reservation was in an hour.

It took Vic forty-five minutes to get ready, the first thirty was him picking out his outfit which consisted of tight black jeans, Kellin’s black button up, and a light pink trench coat.

“Don’t forget a scarf, Vee, it’s cold out. Grab a hat too!” Kellin called down the hall earning an eyeroll from Vic. He hated Kellin babying him, but he grabbed a black scarf and beanie anyway. Vic pulled Kellin’s present from underneath their bed and placed it by the door so he wouldn’t forget it. After circling his dark eyes with kohl and slipping on his Doc Martens, Vic made his way down the hall into their livingroom with Kellin’s present in hand.

“Ready?”

Vic nodded and adjusted his scarf before taking Kellin’s hand in his own. “So where are we going?” Kellin was usually in charge when it came down to decisions in their relationship. Vic was indecisive and would change his mind every five minutes.

“That new Italian spot by the cafe. Jesse said it was good.”

Vic nodded in response and slipped into the passenger seat after putting the present in the back.

“Awh, is that for me?”

The shorter of the two rolls his eyes, “who else?” Kellin just grins and kisses his boyfriend’s cheek, eliciting a slight blush from Vic.

The drive wasn’t too horrible. New York’s traffic can get insane, but the two found entertainment in each other, Kellin telling lame jokes and Vic singing along to the radio.

“What’s your reservation?” The girl at the desk smiled at Kellin and glanced at Vic, causing Vic’s grip on him to tighten.

“Quinn.”

The girl smiled again, making Vic bite the inside of his cheek to refrain from saying anything. “Right this way.”

Their table was in the back of the restaurant, but wasn’t totally secluded. The girl left with another smile and the two were left alone.

“You’re cute,” Kellin couldn’t help but speak about Vic’s jealousy. “But green isn’t a good color on you, sunshine.”

Vic just looked innocently up at his boyfriend, “I’m not wearing any green, my love.”

Kellin took Vic’s hand in his own, “I only have eyes for one, and they aren’t a blonde waitress.”

“Is that so?” Vic bit his lip and toyed with the scarf around his neck, he knew it drove Kellin mad.

Their conversation was interrupted by a scoff, causing the two to look away from each other and direct their eyes to the source.

A middle-aged couple sat a few feet away from the lovers, disgusted looks painted on their faces. Vic’s chocolate eyes flickered back to a tense Kellin who was gnawing on his lip, hard enough to draw blood. His free hand reached up to comb through Kellin’s dark locks, “Kell, stop it.”

As soon as Kellin’s icy eyes met Vic’s warm ones he visibly relaxed and gave a sympathetic smile to his boyfriend. He knew Vic hated confrontation so he wouldn’t give the couple a piece of his mind. Instead he brought Vic’s hand to his lips, “sorry.”

Kellin’s breath against Vic’s wrist dragged a chill up his spine, “it’s not your fault.”

Another scoff fell from the man’s lips followed by the woman’s voice, “I’m all for gay rights, but do they really have to shove it in your face like that?”

Vic let go of Kellin’s hands and slumped back into his seat. The homophobic comments didn’t happen often, but when it did it was absolutely awful. Kellin could handle it, but they cut Vic like a dull knife. He wasn’t even gay!

“It’s unnatural, Anna. Don’t support that.”

Another man nodded in agreement. A family of five broke out in laughter, pointing at the two.

Kellin watched as his boyfriend slowly fell apart right before his eyes. Vic’s bottom lip trembled as his eyes darted around the room. Kellin hated seeing Vic unhappy, whether it be over burnt cupcakes or rude people. He got up from his seat and grabbed Vic’s upper arm so the shorter male was standing, “we’re leaving.”

“Kell, I’m fine,” Vic tried to reason, but followed him out anyway. “Really, I’m okay. I’m good.”

“You like them talking about us like that? About you like that?”

Vic looked back at his boyfriend in disbelief, “of course not!”

They were in the parking lot now, causing a scene in front of the restaurant. Kellin’s hand still gripped Vic’s arm tightly, as if that would keep him from slipping out of his grasp. “Don’t you think I want to dress up and go somewhere nice with you?” Kellin spoke through gritted teeth, “I want to show you off to the whole world without worrying about being treated like some fucking monster!”

Vic’s stare softened and he cupped Kellin’s cheek with his right hand, “I love you Kellin Quinn.” He did. He loved Kellin’s passionate side when it came to equality.

Those five words were music to Kellin’s ears. He knew he was intense at times, he wondered how Vic could even put up with him. “And I, to you, sunshine,” Kellin tilted Vic’s chin up with his index and middle fingers before pressing his lips against Vic’s.

They pulled apart and Vic laced his fingers with Kellin’s, “so...hot chocolate?”

Kellin sighed before pecking his boyfriend’s nose, “hot chocolate, then presents.”

///


“Chocolate is way better than Italian anyway.”

Kellin grinned and took a sip from his cup before kissing Vic’s temple, “definitely.”

The two were stargazing on the hood of Kellin’s car in some deserted parking lot. It was cold, but the two found warmth in each other and the steaming cups in their hands. Vic sat his cup down before getting Kellin’s gift from the back seat.

“Happy anniversary to the best boyfriend ever.”

Kellin eyed the present in mock suspicion before shaking it by his ear. He slowly and carefully unwrapped the gift and gasped. It was exactly what he wanted. “How…?”

“You looked so desperate seeing it in the window so I just had to get it for you.”

The taller male chose to ignore the desperate comment and instead focused on the expensive leather jacket in his hands. “I love it,” he draped it over his shoulders. “I love you.”

The comment made Vic giggly, “oh stop it.”

Kellin sighed before getting off the hood of the car. It’s now or never. He walked to the passenger seat and set up his camera phone to record the whole thing.

He swallowed before taking Vic’s hand in his own, “I was supposed to do this at the restaurant, but we got a little distracted.”

Vic looked up at his boyfriend in curiosity, “Kell…”

“Let me finish?” Vic nodded and squeezed Kellin’s hand in encouragement. Kellin wet his lips with his tongue before getting down on one knee.

“Vic,” he started, pulling the velvet box from his coat pocket. “Will you marry me?”

Kelin started to worry, this was the first time he’d seen Vic wide eyed and speechless. His fears melted away when he saw Vic’s head nod, hot tears streaming down his face, “yes.”

“It wasn’t supposed to make you cry, sunshine,” Kellin whispered, wiping Vic’s tears away with his free thumb.

“I’m just so h-happy,” Vic grabbed Kellin’s collar and pressed his lips against his now fiance's. “I love you, Kellin Quinn.”

“And I love you, my groom to be.”
♠ ♠ ♠
okay this took literally forever. and Ponyo is the most beautiful movie i've ever seen. this was titled by Starry Eyed by Ellie Goulding. (im not really into her music but i like the title of this song). tell me if yu liked it!
(ps: to be clear Vic is bisexual in this)