Status: two-shot

Captured

protagonist

The lights shone brightly, bouncing off of the curved white walls and into her eyes. She squinted and looked around, searching for anything that seemed familiar to her. Her eyes were met with the shining silver of metal tables, one lining each wall, with metal tools laid out on top in perfect rows. Everything looked like it had been polished with the brightest star in the universe, burning the images into her mind with the pure brightness of it all. She tried to turn and see more, but the stiff cuffs around her wrists and ankles dug into her skin every time she tried. She sighed and rested her throbbing head against the metal board she was fixed to, settling in for whatever was in store for her.

The sound of doors sliding open grabbed her attention. She held her breath as her eyes darted around, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever was coming near her. She struggled to move, to try and get out and run, but she was fixed in place. Footsteps echoed, growing closer to her, and she squeezed her eyes shut. The footsteps stopped suddenly and she slowly let out the air she didn’t realize she was keeping in her lungs.

“Prisoner 365, captured at 2100 hours on August 25, 2115,” a voice boomed throughout the room, causing her to jump. “Presumed to be a new specimen, but tests will be run to confirm.”

“Good, keep the council informed with any new information,” another voice said, this one coming from a woman. The footsteps echoed again, this time leading the voices away from her, and the sliding of the doors confirmed that she was alone again. Tears were spilling out of her eyes now and she tried blinking them away. Don’t show them fear, they always said, you have to be strong if you want to beat them.

She never thought she would be in this situation. She was just a kid, wouldn’t be 18 for another six months, and children never got taken. She should have listened and stayed inside when she was told to. She was the good one, always did what she was told as soon as she was told to do it. Sneaking out was Ezra’s idea; everything was always his idea. He was the corrupt mastermind, as he liked to say, behind all of their plans that always seemed to fall through. This one didn’t though. They were outside after dark, sneaking through the guarded gates that cast long shadows along the walls at night. It was always scary, she thought, to be outside after the light had disappeared beneath the horizon. It must be what it looked like to be captured.

But it was different; so much so that she shook her head at her stupidity.

Screams from another room shook her from her trance. Her body stiffened and her eyes widened as a realization dawned upon her. She knew where the screams were coming from but she didn’t want to believe it. She couldn’t.

Ezra.
♠ ♠ ♠
I dunno, this is a lot different from anything I've written. Lemme know what you think?