The Gift of Friendship

1/1

Sooner or later, she knew, she'd learn why they'd come here. She wasn't a morning person and they knew not to disturb her. Abigail didn't want anything more than to enjoy the feast that was her morning breakfast. The warm, fluffy smell was enough to make her mouth water with the enticing image of pancakes, complimented by the sweet blanket of syrup on top. She could still hear the pleasant sizzle of bacon and sausage. To top it all off, an appetizer of toast with a perfected crunch slathered with jam and a cool glass of milk to wash it all down. Fork and knife at the ready. It'd be more enjoyable had it not been interrupted by Jackson and Clark, the caretakers of the steeds in the nearby barn.

Abigail sighed. "What do you two want?"

"Look, Jack and I are sorry about not wishing you a happy birthday last week. Working the barn ain't easy business."

"Oh yeah!", Jack spoke up. "Milking the cows, gettin' hay for 'em, brushin' their fur, and don't get me started about cleaning up after the-"

"ANYWAY!", Clark said, cutting off Jack. "We wanted to make it up to you, so we've got a surprise for you at the barn."

"I told you guys before, I'm not interested in a pet slug. I know that you think kissing slugs gives you good luck but I'm not buying it."

"It ain't no slug." Clark and Jackson spoke in unison.

"Then let me finish breakfast first."

A lady of her word, Abigail finished her absolutely wonderful breakfast and soon found her friends at the barn awaiting her arrival anxiously. These two didn't usually act so jittery around her. Maybe they have a genuine, one of a kind gift for her? Something mystical, something crazy, something...unusual. But then again, it's coming from Clark and Jackson. It could be anything. It could be incredibly underwhelming.

Clark walked towards her, looking as nervous as ever, while Jack was holding the doors to the stables closed. A whinny was heard from the other side, and Jack braced himself for impact. He was met by a hefty push against the door.

"Don't tell me you're giving me a horse. A wild one at that.", said Abigail.

"It ain't no horse. Go ahead and let that door open Jack.", said Clark.

"You sure?"

"Sure, I'm sure. They ain't harmful, just a little excited."

"Let's see what you two have come up with.", said Abigail.

And with that, Jackson let the door creak open. Abigail gasped as she saw the pearly-white beauty in front of her. And as if that wan't enough to make her smile, there was a whole herd of them behind the door. She couldn't help but squeal with excitement.

"Okay! Where did you find not only one, but a whole group of unicorns?"

"Well, we were horse ranglin' out in the valley and stumbled across 'em. We were lucky enough to tame the majority and bring 'em back here.", said Jackson.

"And guess what, Abby? We've got one just for you.", said Clark.

There couldn't be a better gift than the life of a creature as majestic as this. Abigail was nearly crying tears of joy. Her eyes met with one as it galloped merrily toward her and gently nudged her with its head. She lay her hand upon it's silky-smooth skin.

In unison, Jackson and Clark say, "Happy birthday, Abigail!"

"Where is it? Where is mine? I have to see it!"

"Jack go get him."

When Abigail saw what Jack came back to her with, she dropped to her knees. It was an innocent little baby unicorn. Jack set it down and it instantly ran into her arms. She welcomed it with all of her heart and held it as if it were her own. The tiny little thing peered into her with it's mesmerizing dark eyes. I may not be very big, its eyes seemed to say, but I might just surprise you.