‹ Prequel: Suicidal Tendencies
Status: By popular demand, I give you the sequel!

Death Would Have Been Easier

01

Harley took down the shot glass and everclear and poured herself one shot, two, three, four shots of the liquor as her wake up call. She shook her head a bit and groaned. What a good way to start the day, she thought to herself.
Life was peachy for Harley, if you considered drinking alcohol pretty much every day to ignore her suicidal tendencies, a good life. However, the four years away from California and everything to do with that state, did improve how she handled her depression. She tried her hardest not to become so addicted to slicing up her body or focusing on the saddening parts of her life. She didn't want to rely on alcohol to make herself happier that way; it just turned out that liquor was the best medicine.
Harley was, not including her booze, alive - for the most part. She survived her suicidal tendencies and continued on living without her best friend by her side. Granted, she survived without anyone by her side. Four years in Washington, and she still hadn't made any friends, but she wouldn't consider herself lonely. She had booze, after all!
Yet, she was disappointed with her life. She hadn't made any successes in her life and she truly wasn't going anywhere with her life. She went to the library, got a few books, went to work, stop by the liquor store after work and then to home. Her schedule was the same every day and even though she had people try to task interest in her, she just couldn't push herself to befriend or pursue any relationships with her heart so closed off and cold to anyone who tried to near it. She still held out for the one person who made her like this.
Harley shook her head, trying to get those thoughts out of her head. She could not or ever think about that man; not even when his face and band was plastered everywhere in her sight. She just couldn't stoop that low to bring herself to think of him or the heartache he caused.
"Coming this weekend, Avenged Sevenfold! Just a few tickets left on sale!" An ad on the radio, suddenly caught her attention and her face curled up in disgust. Were they trying to piss her off? Or worse, were they trying to find her? Harley hoped for neither and decided that, that radio station was no longer her favorite, as she switched it to an old classic rock station.
Matt anxiously sat at the table with his fellow bandmates. He didn't quite understand why he was so anxious to be headed to Washington, but something in his gut was definitely queasy. He knew it wasn't the show that was making him nervous; they would rock the socks off of Washington. It was something else; something deeper that was making his stomach queasy.
"You okay, Matt?" Brian asked, glancing over at his bandmate.
"Fine, just an upset stomach." Matt replied, shrugging it off.
"Uh oh! Big ol' Mattie is nervous, isn't he?" Jimmy laughed, poking fun at his friend.
"Bullshit, Jimmy. You know I'm never nervous for a show. It's something else, like something big is going to happen. I'm not sure if it's good or bad."
No one said anything for a bit, curiously wondering what could make Matt so weirded out about something.
Harley tried her hardest to stay away from crowded areas. Not wanting to run into any of the people she was avoiding. Her work had a really bad water leak and had to close, because the leak had gone unnoticed for so long, mold had been growing; making it unsafe. With her free time, she tried staying inside, away from people. However, she ran out of groceries and then she became stir crazy.
So, late on a Saturday night, she found herself at a small bar, away from the venue Avenged Sevenfold played at. It was pretty quiet there, only a few solo older men there, drinking away their misery or whatever. She sat at the bar, liking that she could see what was going on around the bar and the company the barista gave her.
"It's pretty quiet all the time here, which is nice. I work most nights and it makes things simple if I only have a few people to take care of. It doesn't do well for tips, but that's okay." The barista, Mandy, said.
"I like the atmosphere, even if there is only a few people here. The décor makes the place seem more pleasant to be in." Harley responded and she was telling the truth.
The interior was very nice. It was mainly wood paneling around the walls, but it held pictures of all the owners and their workers, with landscape pictures as well. The main bar was square and had comfortable barstools all around. A few small tables were scattered around and on the far back wall were a few larger tables with booths. Granted, the bar was small, it was set up correctly where it didn't make you feel claustrophobic.
"You're right. My family has owned this place for many years, with only a few minor touchups here and there. We try to keep the look the same as much as possible. I guess that's what I like about it so much." Mandy said, smiling as she fixed Harley another drink.
It was at that moment, the atmosphere changed and chill ran up Harley's spine. It almost seemed to happen in slow motion. Her head turned, watching the group of men come in through the door. Her worst nightmare coming to life, as the man from her past came striding in.
"Matt." She whispered to herself, her eyes quickly averting away from the men. She hoped they wouldn't recognize her.
She could hear them move to one of the larger booths in the back and she let out a sigh of relief.
"Do you know them?" Harley hadn't realized that Mandy was still there.
"I do. They're from my past. We're not too fond of each other."
"The way you said "Matt", I would've guessed otherwise." Mandy chuckled, giving the other woman a knowing look.
A deep blush rose to Harley's cheeks and she ducked her head, as Mandy laughed loudly.
"Well, what's got you two ladies amused?" Brian said, as he walked up to the bar.
Harley stiffened, but rose her head and kept her gaze towards the barista.
"Ah, nothing honeybuns. Anyways, what can I get you?"
"Honeybuns? That's new. I'll take five beers, draw, and ten shots of tequila."
Mandy started moving around the bar, getting what the brown eyes man had ordered. Harley prayed that Brian wouldn't start up conversation with her. Her prayers weren't answered.
"Do I know you from somewhere?"
"No."
"Are you sure? You look really familiar."
"No."
"Are you from California?"
Harley hesitated, "Yes."
"Okay. Have we slept together, then?"
She scoffed, "Definitely not."
Brian analyzed the small woman. "Are you sure? You're definitely fuckable."
"I would never sleep with you, Brian!" She huffed and quickly realized her mistake.
"I didn't tell you or the barista my name."
"Lucky guess." She shrugged.
"I doubt it," Brian said, as he spun her stool towards him. "Harley?"
"No. Guess again."
Brian didn't guess again, he didn't need to. He knew exactly who she was and she was scared. Matt wasn't even ten feet away and she did not want to run into him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I wanted to stop it earlier than this, but I just couldn't!
The sequel is here!
Comment and subscribe and recommend, please!!
Tell me how you think the first chapter is!