‹ Prequel: Suicidal Tendencies
Status: By popular demand, I give you the sequel!

Death Would Have Been Easier

02

Harley didn't know what to do. It felt like the world she lived in was closing in around her and it was getting harder to breathe. It felt like the air she was breathing was getting stuck in her lungs and she was being suffocated.
"Matt, you know, he's here. I'm sure he'd love to see you, again." Brian offered.
Harley shot him a dark look, "No. I moved away for a reason."
"And what reason is that, Harley? Huh? You got scared? You couldn't handle the world Matt lived in? You're a pathetic waste of a human being, Harley, making everyone else suffer just because you got scared." Brian shot at her. She visibly flinched at his words.
Harley knew his words were right. "I know, Brian. I already know that I'm a fucking terrible person! You don't need to rub that in my face. I just, I moved away because that was what was best for me. You don't know the full story, so don't put your nose in business it has no right to be in!"
"No right to be in? That's rich coming from you, Harley! Matt is like my fucking brother! You had no right to do what you did!"
"Woah woah woah, guys. Calm down. I don't need a fight in my bar. Why don't you take your drinks back to your friends and enjoy your time with them." Mandy offered, setting the drinks down on a tray in front of Brian, who glared at the woman sitting on the barstool next to him.
He grabbed the drinks, stalking off towards his band. He set them down, each of the guys doing their two shots before settling down and drinking their beers.
"Who was that hot piece of fiery ass you were talking to, Brian?" Jimmy asked, waggling his eyebrows.
Brian scowled at his friend, "Harley."
Matt's head shot up and his eyes went straight to the small woman sitting at the bar. She hadn't changed, he thought to himself. Her hair was still that light chestnut color, it may have grown but he wasn't sure. She was still small, short and thin, yet even from the backside, he could tell she was still beautiful.
"That's Harley?" Matt's voice cracked when he inquired about the girl.
"Yes and still a spitfire." Brian grumbled.
"I'm going to go see her." Matt declared, while standing up.
"Can't guarantee she won't run again, Matt."
"It's worth a shot."
Matt sauntered down to the small woman, who was staring down into her own drink. He didn't know how to strike up a conversation with her. It had been so long and all the emotions they left themselves on, were still there and slowly rising to the surface within him.
"Long time no see, Harley." He started. He watched her tense, then try to relax her shoulders.
Harley slowly spun around, staring the man she wanted to despise in the eye. "Matt." She said quietly.
"How've you been?"
"Apparently I'm an alcoholic." She said with a straight face.
Matt didn't know whether to laugh or be worried. "Oh." Was all he could manage to come up with as he ran a hand through his short hair.
"You're married?" Harley asked, as her eyes landed on the gold band that wrapped itself around his fourth finger.
"Oh, uh," Matt didn't know how to continue. "Not really, anymore. The divorce just got finalized."
"You were married?"
Matt saw the hurt flash across her face, he saw how she started building an even higher wall around herself. He saw it all over again.
"Yes, I was." He couldn't lie to her now.
"W-well, good for you." He saw her lower lip tremble, saw how she bit it to stop the trembling.
"Harley, don't cry, baby." He whispered to her, stepping closer to her.
"Don't! Don't touch me or come near me or call me baby. I can't do this!" She shouted at him, standing up and running out the door.
The world was swallowing her up and she couldn't see or breathe or move. Once she was outside the bar, she ran around the corner in an alley, crying to herself. She sobbed into her hands, as she sat on the ground. Why was he here? Why did he have to be famous?
Harley could hear someone come up next to her and felt them wrap a comforting arm around her.
"It'll be okay, Harls." Zacky whispered in her ear. She wrapped her arms around him, squeezing herself into him as she cried on his shirt.
"It hurts so much, Zacky. It hurts!" She wailed as he held her tighter.
Zacky knew exactly what Harley was going through, he knew just how much pain she was feeling and how it turned her insides into twisted knots. Though he hadn't talked to her in over four years, he still loved Harley just the same and he couldn't handle just how much suffering she was going through.
"Come on, let's get you home, is that okay?" He asked softly. He felt her nod and they walked to her small apartment.
The guys still inside the bar, watched as their rhythm guitarist rushed out of the bar after Harley; leaving Matt standing in the bar, watching the girl he loved and one of his best friends run out.
Matt was crushed. Did they have something together? Had Zacky always known where Harley was? And suddenly, the feeling of being crushed turned to anger, unbridled, heavy anger that made him want to punch Zacky in the throat.
He was not going to lose Harley, again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea where this came from, guys. I totally was not intending for Zacky to come into play or have this turn into a love triangle.
But anyways, it is!
So comment, comment away my little lovelies!