Bubbles

you started it

Image


Sun streamed through the kitchen window and lit the small area with a homely warmth. Everyone had advised Sebastian against buying the cottage away from the city, but he needed the secluded house with an ample garden and an old-fashioned rustic ambience to provide him with the rest and relaxation he desired between shooting films. His eyes lingered on Delila as she finished scrubbing the plate, then gave it a quick rinse under the hot water before holding it out to Sebastian.

“Here you are,” she said with a smile and he approached her, walking back from putting away a mug in the cupboard to take the plate. With his eyes on the plate, Sebastian didn’t spot Delila dunking her finger into the soap bubbles. Her movement was too fast and she left a dollop of bubbles sitting on his nose. Sebastian froze for a few seconds but then carried on as though nothing was out of the ordinary despite his girlfriend stifling her laughs. He turned his back and crossed the room to put the plate away, so Delila grabbed another dish to wash, thinking that she hadn’t earned a reaction out of him.

Sebastian returned with a clean nose when she was rinsing the second plate and he flicked the tea towel out, smacking it against her rear with a playful smirk on his face. Delila yelped and jumped from fright, the plate slipping from her fingers and crashing against the side of the sink.

“Oh my gosh…” she breathed, gaping at the shards of shattered ceramic. “Seb! That wasn’t fair!”

“It’s just a plate, don’t worry about it,” Sebastian said as he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her against his body.

“It wasn’t fair that I wasn’t looking,” Delila clarified before turning around to face him.

“You started it,” Sebastian shrugged and she placed a kiss on his nose where the bubbles had been. Sebastian then lowered his head and met her lips for a kiss, soon shifting them away to the bedroom and making the dishes long forgotten.