Sentinel

Chapter 1 Part 3

Base 01 was located on the southern end of the Great Desert. It rose out of the flat terrain; a dark pillar in the yellow sand. Although from far away it seemed small, it was as large as a city with forty-two stories. It housed two million soldiers and their families, as well as being the main hub for trade among the sectors of Corpus. It was the biggest military base on the continent and hosted the most important officials of the world government. In the top floor of this base, in a dark room full of lit screens sat two people.

“Play it again.” Dark circled eyes watched the video from behind steepled fingers as the figures of Linnea’s team moved backwards and then forwards again as the recording resumed. The eyes darted back and forth watching the battle in the courtyard.

“Sir?”

President Hazel Eliot Stratin, leader of The Alliance, looked up from her intense study of the screen and laid her eyes on her assistant in a cold stare.

“It’s just that, well, you’ve been watching this replay for hours. What do you expect to find? It’s just a game.”

“Fool!” Stratin hissed turning her eyes back toward the monitor. “The game is everything. The side that they show to each other is completely different from the side that we see. And yet, this side is essential to the understanding and controlling the Sentinels. It is like the dark side of the moon. Absent from human sight, yet essential to the metaphor.”

“Metaphor, sir?”

“The metaphor of human existence, Rose. Throughout history humans have fought: powerful versus weak, dark versus light. The earth, like the moon was divided in two. We are the light of the world Rose. We hold in our hands the only chance at peace that the world has ever known. Soon the dark spots on the earth will vanish and only light will remain. That’s why we will win Rose. Because we are right. The Sentinels are the peacemakers that we will use. It’s only fitting that their hidden side is the most vicious and also the most telling. Go back.”

Rose rewound the recording again.

“Stop.” Stratin raised a hand. Linnea reflected in her dark eyes as she fought with Anderson after the game. “How strange.” Stratin mumbled. “Uncharacteristic one might say.”

“Well sir, Anderson did insult her rather harshly.”

“No, that’s not it.” Stratin bit her thumbnail. “This is different. There. See the desperation? She’s
afraid.”

“Afraid of what, sir?”

“I can’t tell yet. But something’s there, underneath her skin. How’s the other?”

“In the infirmary. He has some severe injuries, but he should be better soon. You know how it is with them.”

“Yes.” Stratin stood suddenly. “Keep an eye on her Rose. And on her whole team too. Whatever is there, we’ll find it.”

“Should I call her in sir?”

“No. Not yet. For now, just watch.” Stratin stood from her chair and marched out of the dark room with Rose trailing after her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment. Let me know what you think. Thanks.