Sentinel

Chapter 2 Part 2

The helicopter flew over the Great Desert in the dark. The only sound was a slight hum from the COVR machine in the back of the chopper as it threw out vibrations to cancel the sound of the propeller. Inside the four sat quietly side by side, like nesting dolls from Kai, the tallest, to Seven. Denzel sat across from them, his hands on his gun, gripping it tightly. He glanced at them from time to time. The moonlight reflected off their white skin and made them seem to shine in the dark. They stared at him, expressionless, like statues carved in white marble. Their faces were unmoving, and for the first time that night, he noticed that they looked tired; their shoulders drooped and their eyes had dark circles under them, but the eyes themselves were alert and watchful. They looked fair and youthful in the moonlight, and Denzel was reminded uncomfortably of their origins. They were not made for this. The toll it took on them was disastrous. It was making them insane, violent. Every week another one collapsed from exhaustion or injury. It was becoming eerier to walk down their corridors in the base, and more dangerous too.

“Denzel?” It was Allen who spoke, pulling Denzel from his thoughts. “We must be getting close, and we still don’t know what we are doing once we get there.”

“Right.” He replied “I guess it’s time then. Your mission is a simple one this time. We’ve got a tip off from one of our spies that the rebels have set their sights on a new target. As you may know, Kire Arms is one of the military’s biggest suppliers of infantry equipment. Their largest factory is right at the center of the capital, and that’s where our informant sets the next strike. We don’t know when it is going to happen, but we know it will be soon. Security has already been dispatched to guard the facility, but we want you there too, just in case. It’s a bold move for the rebels, but they have been getting more comfortable of late. We need to put a stop to that right away. We’ll be setting down outside the city limits in about an hour. Our escort will meet us there, and take us to the plant. Because I want you to be able to patrol and pick up information, you will have full access to the city while there.”

The group brightened as a unit. They exchanged excited glances, and began to whisper among themselves.

“Yeah, yeah.” Denzel interrupted. “Just don’t make me regret it. I figured it’s the least I could do if you were to be standing around for days on end. Remember though, that two of you should be at the factory at all times. We’re not here on a sight-seeing trip. I’ll always know where you are, so don’t get into any trouble. Got it?”
The group nodded wholeheartedly.

“Good.” Denzel leaned forward and looked out the front window of the helicopter. The lights of the city could be seen in the distance. “I hope I don’t regret this.” He mumbled to himself as he glanced back at the four. They had returned to their statue-like posture. Glowing eyes fixed forward, watching the desert slip by.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short chapter before things get going in the Capital. Please tell me what you think!