Into the Badlands

Woman vs. Wild

They say that it takes a certain want, a certain desire to face the wilderness. At first, the trees sway with beauty and the raindrops dance with greatness. Then the tide of emotions take over and the will to survive kicks in. On a plane back to London from Greenland, a turbine exploded. We were sent crashing towards Earth. Where we landed, I'm not even sure. As far as I know, I'm the only one that made it. I've been camping out in the plane for a few hours now. I have to leave this plane, I need to get out of here. I jump out onto the snowy bank and look over the hill, it's all trees and snow, nothing more. I shiver as the cold air pricks my skin. All I'm wearing is a red sweater, jeans and my tennis shoes. I cross my arms and shake, it's way too cold out here. I walk back into the plane and look around. It sucks but I know what I have to do. I walk up to one of the corpses and stand there for a few minutes, watching my breath in the air. I remove the jacket from a man in his late sixties. It's a green world war 2 jacket with plenty of pockets and fur covers the hood. I slide it on with disgust in my brain, but I need this, I hope he'll understand. I explore the rest of the plane and find a nice pair of hiking boots and a scarf in the overhead compartments. I find a radio in the front of the plane but there's nothing but static. I go outside and find a bundle of twigs and things to start a fire. I grab the box of matches I found and lift the lid. There's two matches. I light one quickly and throw it into the pile of wood, it does nothing. I light the other one and pray it works but It doesn't. I sit back and cry, running my fingers through my hair.

I stand and look around. There's nothing in sight but I need to find a place to call for help, I need to get to the top of the mountain. I go into the plane to find any kind of weapons. I find a tactical knife and a very long string that can be used to make a bow. I need to travel up the mountain a bit to check out the tail end of the plane. I put the string in a shoulder bag I found and slide the knife onto my belt. I begin my climb. The tail end isn't very far but it takes longer than I wanted it to, the snow is extremely deep the farther up I go. I finally reach my destination and enter through the large opening. There's a few bodies laying around, I check them and find nothing. Further discovery leads me to a shiny metal object lying on the floor, it's a lighter. I pick it up and press it to my chest, giggling in happiness. There's also a small can of lighter fluid laying a few feet from where the lighter was. I put both of them in my bag and continue to search. I collect shards of metal and netting, they could be used for something. When I exit the tail, I catch a glimpse of something down at the other half and then there's a scream. I don't hesitate, there's not enough time to make a bow. I run down the hill and trip over something. I tumble down until I get to the flat area where the plane sits. I hold my head in pain but I'm eventually able to get to my feet. I can see the monster attacking a man from the crash.

I pull out the knife and jump on the wolves back. I don't think, I just do. I stab it over and over but it doesn't seem to die. It throws me off and leaps towards the man. It wraps its jaws around his head and squeezes down. In just a few seconds, he's dead and now the wolf focuses on me. I stand, partially crouched, clenching the knife in my right hand. I take in a few breaths as it licks the blood off of it's teeth. It jumps at me and pins me against the ground, it's teeth inches away from my face. I close my eyes, hoping that my death will be quick and painless but my eyes shoot open and I feel my face will with anger and knife slices into its neck, blood seeping from its wound. I push the animal off me and stab it in the head, making its death quick. I sit my bag on the ground and pull out the lighter fluid then dump a little on the piled limbs, I light it, sending a puff of smoke into the air. I make a small cooking rack out of wood and skin the wolf and cut out all the necessary meat. I sit there near the fire, blood soaking my hands. This is how to survive, this is how I get out of here. And then there's a howl in the distance.