Into the Badlands

Warrior of Night

I end up falling asleep on a piece of metal I had drug out of the plane to sit on, it's not comfortable but it'll have to do. When I finally awake, I realize that I need to get things done. I make a torch and head out into the woods to find a limb worthy of a bow. I can hear the faint sounds of wolves howling in their pack, I don't know if they're close or not, but I don't want to run into them. I see a tree down and make my way to it. I'm instantly stopped when something zooms by it. I speed walk towards the tree and cut off a branch. I get the string and tie it around the limb, it seems sturdy enough when I pull the string back. I cut a few more twigs off to turn into arrows and head back to my small basecamp. I get back to the camp and see the fire slowly dying out. I toss everything down and pile more wood on it. I turn around to grab my things and come face to face with a hungry wolf. It growls and shows it's teeth. I slowly reach for my torch, not breaking eye contact. I wrap my hands around it and swing it fast in the wolf's direction. It yelps and runs off into the woods. I gather up my gear and lean against the outside of the plane, wondering what I got myself into. If I'm going to climb that mountain, I need something like an ice ax. I hop into the plane and find some loose metal, I conjure up a plan to somehow tie my knife to a piece of metal. It'll act as a makeshift ice ax and a weapon. I break the knife off the handle and put it on one piece of metal and then bend another around it and sit it over the fire, hopefully everything will melt together. While that's taking its time, I make some arrows, some with just pointed tips and some with the shards of metal I found in the tail end of the plane. I try one out. I put the arrow on the bow and pull back the string. I aim at a tree and let it fly. It sticks right into the tree, I feel a smile stretch across my face. I pull the arrow out of a tree then go back to the plane. I need to find something that'll act as a quiver. I search the storage compartments for bags and then I find one, it's a bookbag, it'll fit on both of my shoulders without bothering my other bag.

I hear something in the distance, something roaring towards me. Avalanche. I grab all my stuff and quickly get into one of the seats and strap myself in. I close my eyes and prepare for impact. I can hear trees crack and fall to the earth. I dig my fingers into the armrests and then it hits. I jerk to the right and then I feel myself spinning, like the world is being flipped upside down. There seems to be no end and then my head slams up against something and I'm instantly knocked out.
I awake, cold and in a terrible amount of pain. I'm also hanging from my seat. I swing my body upward to reach for the belt but I fail and I fall back down. I swing up again and I quickly unlatch my belt then fall. I feel something penetrate my back. I fell on one of my arrows. I get to my knees take off my jacket as quickly as possible. I see blood seeping through my shirt and then something poking into it. I remove my shirt and see the arrow tip through my stomach. I take in a deep breath and grab the back of the arrow and begin to pull. I scream in pain, this pain is something i've never felt before. Once it's out, I stand up extremely weak. I reach up and unbuckle the body in the seat. It falls beside me, I don't even care at this point who this person is or what this person did. I use the makeshift ax and cut some cloth for bandages. I tie them tight around my wound and put all my clothing back on. I grab my gear and climb out the top of the plane.

I see white, it's almost blinding. I slide down the side of the plane until my boots hit the ground. In front of me is a small village on the side of the mountain, it looks abandoned. I turn towards the hill I just rolled down and see a faint red light blinking, it seems to be from the tail end of the plane. I survived the avalanche with all my gear and a minor wound, I deserve some downtime. I make my way to one of the shacks with a small fireplace and work with what little I have. I wonder who lived here on the side of this mountain, it's a whole village. I'll check the rest of it tomorrow and then head towards the tail. I lay down near the fire and huddle my knees up to my chest. The pain in my stomach is too much to handle, I only get a few hours of sleep and then I hear a female voice, maybe it's someone from the village. I prepare my ax and bow for whatever is about to happen. I peek out the window and see a girl with some sort of Japanese headdress and a group of males gather around her and then a fire lights in their circle. They speak in Japanese and one man brings someone to the fire, it's a guy from the plane. I look away from the window and take in a deep breath then look back out. They're throwing him into the fire and then chanting something, they're doing a sacrifice. I quickly get some snow and toss it onto the fire and then hide in one of the closets. There's a small hole just big enough to peek out of. I squint one eye and look with the other, they seem to be laughing now and then they turn towards the shack I'm in and look up...at the smoke coming from the chimney.