Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Unexpected Verification

I wake up to a note by my bedside. I open it and read it carefully. I reread it a few times to make sure my sleepy eyes read the message correctly.

‘I had to go for morning crossfit and to catch a plane later. I didn’t want to wake you - Seth :)’

Partly disappointed, I sink back into my bed. It was sweet of him to leave a note. I just wish I got to see him. I know crossfit is Seth’s form of training, so I really don’t mind that’s why he left. I just wanted a face to face goodbye. I search around my bed for my phone. I have a text from Stephanie, just like Seth said I would, and a few messages from my group chat with Alicia and Paige. I open Stephanie’s message first. She tells me she’d like to see me before we both leave Chicago. I send her a message right back, telling her my flight is tomorrow and I can meet her any time today.

I then open my group chat message. Alicia tells me I should definitely come see her in California. Paige counters, saying we should see each other in Wisconsin before Smackdown. I message both the girls back, telling them both can be arranged. We plan out the details of our meetings.

Stephanie also messages me back, asking if I would like to meet her at a local restaurant. I tell her I’ll be there in about thirty minutes, and get ready to go. I slip into a sundress, brush my hair, fix my makeup, and put on some vans. I grab my purse and head out to where Steph asked to meet.

She’s already seated once I get there. I slip into our booth and apologize for being late. “No big deal, I was early,” Stephanie says with a smile.

“What’s up?” I ask. The waitress comes. I ask for a lemonade and nothing more. I’m not very hungry.

“I just wanted to check in with you and see how things were. We talked with Seth last night, and he seems confident with how things are going, but expressed some concern.”

I’m surprised, but I try not to show it. “I think things are going very well. I like where everything is at so far, and where it’s going. This is a story that could go far, I think. Can you tell me about Seth’s concerns?” I’m actually worried he has doubts. I thought everything between he and I was going well, and now I’m worried he believes otherwise.

Stephanie flips her hair to the side and lets out a quiet sigh. “He’s confident with the storyline, but he’s extremely worried about your personal relationships fading.”

Seth told the bosses that? “I expressed to him last night, after your discussion with him, that it’s no problem. I’m worried about work, not other people’s opinions of me doing my job.”

Stephanie nods. “I’m glad you feel that way. I have a few things to talk about, personally and professionally, if that’s okay.” I tell her it’s fine, and she keeps going. “We decided as a team that your relationship with Seth onscreen should progress a little quicker than we planned. After his match, we want you more intimate. Give him a kiss - a real kiss. I wanted to be the one to tell you ahead of time. I know it sounds simple, but it’s hard to do in front of thousands of people. I want you to know about it before Battleground. You guys will be a true onscreen couple starting Sunday.”

“That’s fine,” I say. I feel nervous butterflies in my stomach. Is this really happening so soon? “What’s the personal thing?”

Stephanie shakes her head. She looks like she’s conflicted on saying something, but she speaks anyway. “It’s difficult because Hunter has a close relationship with Seth. We might be getting a little too involved in your relationship in and out of the ring, but it’s because we care, and we’ve been in your position. I was told to keep this confidential, but I think you should know. Just please don’t relay this information to Seth. Both he and Hunter have no idea I’m about to do this.”

Her saying this makes me feel anxious. What could she possibly have to say? Questions enter my mind, but I just tell her not to worry, this conversation will stay between her and I. “How do you feel about him on a personal level?”

“We’ve become good friends quickly. Sometimes I wonder if it’s happened too quickly, but I’m just going with it.” I want to confide in her about my feelings for Seth, but I’m worried. She is my boss, after all. We’re already crossing a personal line. I know she met her husband through this business, had a similar situation to me, and has ended up marrying the man. If anybody could help me work things out, I know she can. I hesitate, but go for it anyway. Maybe Steph has some insight. “I do have a question for you.”

She nods, taking a sip of her soda. “Of course. Ask away.”

The waitress hands me my drink, and I thank her. I drink some of it, then look back up to Stephanie. “I’m very conflicted on my feelings with Seth. We have great chemistry in the ring, and we’re good friends. I’m just confused because the lines feel blurred to me. I know things are different in ring. Seth has a character that’s opposite of his personality. I’ve just been physically attracted to Seth for so long, since before I met him. But now that we’ve been interacting on a personal and professional level, things feel so different. I don’t feel a lust thing or an only friends thing.” I stop. My words feel jumbled and I’m worried my message isn’t coming across like I want it to.

Stephanie gives me a big smile. She reaches her hand over the table and squeezes mine gently. She lets go after, folding her hands into her lap. “I get it. I really do. I felt the same way with Hunter. This is what I want to keep confidential: I can’t tell you how Seth feels about you because he and I haven’t talked about it. I can tell you, though, that he talks highly of you. He’s confided in Hunter in detail. He cares about you. I haven’t heard Seth talk about any person the way he talks about you. He does care about a lot of people, don’t get me wrong, but it’s just different. He’s putting your interests before his.”

“He is?”

“He is. He asked Hunter that if things don’t pan out for you personally, if we could drop the storyline. Seth doesn’t care about being hated anymore if your personal relationships have had the same effect as his.” She pauses, taking another sip of her drink. “But, as for your progressing feelings, I think you should talk to him about it. It’s nerve-wracking. I know that. But you will not feel any better about the situation until you do.”

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this. I’m starting to believe Stephanie’s advice. “Maybe I’ll talk to him after Battleground,” I tell her.

“That’s a good idea. I think it will turn out in your favor, Shay. I really do.” We chat a little longer. Stephanie reminds me how proud she is of me. She tells me that I’m exactly what the women’s division needs. She makes me blush. I know what she’s saying is true, though. I’m the first Diva to be undefeated for a month - especially since I’ve only just debuted on the main roster. I’m also the only woman to be at a pay-per-view event a month after debuting.

Things are going well for me, but it’s extremely flattering for my boss, a co-owner of WWE, to tell me how much she adores me.

Before we leave, I can’t help but bring up the Seth situation again. “Stephanie? What if he doesn’t feel the same way about me? Couldn’t it kill the story?”

She puts some money down on the table and slings her purse over her shoulder. “It wouldn’t kill the story. Your acting is getting better. If things don’t work out between you - which, I think they will, by the way - you’ll be able to just focus on the work aspect. I’ll be with you every step of the way.” She pauses. “And, Shay, just remember that the Seth aspect of the conversation is off the books.”

“Don’t worry, Stephanie. I appreciate this conversation. I’ll see you Sunday!”

She winks. “You better be leaving champion.”