Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Battleground

By Sunday, I’m ecstatic. I have a title match tonight. I’ve known about it for a while, but it’s just now sinking in. I’ve spent a majority of my week doing promos and training. Even though I’m confident in my moves, I work to improve them more and more. Nikki is a tough competitor. One win against her doesn’t necessarily mean another.

I haven’t seen Seth since Monday. He and I have been texting, though. He’s even called me once or twice. Even though a majority of our conversations are small talk, I enjoy it nonetheless. It feels like Seth and I are getting closer and closer. I wish I’ve had the chance to see him in person, but our schedules haven’t allowed it.

I decided not to bring up the onscreen kiss. Seth doesn’t either. I don’t know if he knows about it or not. I’m sure Hunter brought it up to him, but I’m not positive. I’d rather wait until Sunday to talk about it, just in case he’s not excited about it. It doesn’t help that I’m also extremely nervous about the situation, too.

I pull into Battleground with the best I have since my debut. I’m in the best physical shape I’ve ever been in, and my mindset is only positive. I have support from everybody around me. I head to the locker room. Once I’m inside and change into my ringwear. I know my match is one of the first ones tonight. After changing, I go to the main lounge. I see various coworkers hanging out with drinks in their hands. Tonight is not only a big night for all of us, but also a celebration.

I see Seth almost immediately. He sticks out in crowds like this. He’s off to the side, mostly alone. Brie and her husband standing beside him. I’ve been telling Brie about Seth’s insecurities when dealing with his coworkers, and she’s taking it upon herself to make him feel more welcome. Bryan is doing the same. After all, the two are a duo.

I walk over to them. I wrap my arms around Brie and kiss her cheek. “Hey guys!”

Brie puts her arms around me, too. As best friends, we’ve developed the close bond people can’t understand. Public displays of affection are how we roll. Everybody knows Brie’s married anyway, so nobody takes us seriously. “Shay! I’m so glad you’re here!”

“Where else would she be?” Bryan laughs.

“I just meant that she came early. And girl, you look good!” She says, motioning to my clothing.

I am wearing something new tonight. I thought I’d mix it up because of my first big match. I have on baby blue shorts, a matching bra-like top with white studs all over, and a long sleeved mini jacket. Underneath my shorts, I have white fishnets. I’m wearing dark ankle boots, but I wear those boots often.

“Thanks! I thought I’d switch it up a bit.” I smile at the trio. My eyes focus on Seth. He’s wearing dark pants and a WWE shirt. He hasn’t changed for his match yet, and I don’t expect him to. He’s the main event. “What were you guys talking about?” I ask.

Seth laughs. His hand rubs the back of his head, almost nervously. “Nothing of importance.”

Brie moves arm from my waist to around my shoulders. “Dogs. We were talking about dogs.”

I’m not surprised. Bryan and Brie have a dog they absolutely adore. Given the chance, they’d bring her to all the shows. I’ve learned recently Seth is a big dog person. If he were home more, he’d have his own dog. It makes me so happy that my friends are bonding over common interests. I hope it makes Seth more confident around people in the industry.

“Of course you were,” I roll my eyes, but it’s all in good fun.

Bryan wishes me luck on my match tonight. Brie does the same, even though I know I’ll sure her before my match. She’s ringside for all of of Nikki’s matches. The two part, and it’s just Seth and I. I ask him if he’s nervous for tonight. He shrugs. “Yeah, kinda. I like to think I’ll win, but I don’t want to get cocky.” He looks down at me, a small smile playing on his lips. “Did you ask them to talk to me?”

“I had no idea they would. They’re nice people. Brie and I are close. If you and I are friends, she wants to become acquainted to you, too. They have nothing but good intentions.” I verify.

“I was just wondering. Walk with me?” Before I answer, he takes my hand and leads me to where crew are setting up. We roam mostly empty halls. We stop at the area we use to walk to the ring.

Confused, I look over to him. “What are we doing here?”

He guides me a little farther. There’s a pocket of space where I can see the ring and the arena filling with fans. “There’s a blindspot to the crowd, but not to us backstage. I like to see the empty chairs fill, especially on big nights like this. It’s soothing to me. Thousands of people come to see us. Win or lose tonight, we’ve entertained the masses. That’s what matters.” He’s behind me, hands on my hips, talking quietly in my ear.

“Why are you showing me this when it’s so special to you?” I ask just as quietly.

His chin rests on my head. “I just want you to know, win or lose tonight, you’ve done your job. And you’ve done it well.”

I feel my cheeks flush. I cover my hot face with my hands, but I’m all smiles. “You too, you know.” We stand like this, just watching the people take their seats. Seth’s right: it’s very soothing to see these people. Whether they love or hate us, they’re here to see us. When people around us start to come by, Seth and I fall out of our trance. I’m told my match is second tonight.

“I should go get ready,” I tell him, even though I’m mostly ready. Seth agrees. He gives me a quick hug and wishes me good luck.

I thank him for showing me his place, and shrugs like it’s no big deal. “Just remember what I said, okay?” I tell him I will. I walk to the women’s locker room. It’s mostly empty today. I know everybody is at the lounge area, watching from the monitors. I decide not to watch the tag-team match before mine. I sit in the quiet locker room and mentally prepare myself for my match.

I came into the arena with the mentality that I needed to win, but the time I just shared with Seth showed me that it doesn’t matter if I do or don’t. While I’d love to be champion, I’ll still be okay if I don’t win. I don’t let the conversation alter my confidence, but I do let it feel better about my situation. Win or lose, I did what I was supposed to be doing.

A few minutes before my match, I head out. I’m greeted by multiple people who all wish me good luck. When I see Nikki and Brie, I stop for a brief talk. “Good luck tonight,” I tell Nikki.

She smirks, looking down at her belt. “I don’t need luck. It was just a fluke, you winning on Monday.” I shake my head. I don’t know if she’s kidding or not. If she isn’t, I’m not sure what her kind words on Monday were about. Brie shoots me a sympathetic look, but doesn’t say anything. It’ll cause her tension either way.

My music starts. I head out to a crowd of cheering fans. I’m boo’d a few times, but the majority of the fans seem to back me. Nikki’s crowd is also a mixed reaction. The crowd doesn’t seem to have a favorite tonight. The bell rings. We square off. The match isn’t as easy for me as it was on Monday.

Nikki immediately has the upper hand. She focuses on my right shoulder tonight. She punches and stomps at it. She even puts me in submission maneuvers she wouldn’t often use just to weaken my shoulder. I’m able to throw in some moves, but Nikki remains in charge throughout the match.

Things change once she lines me up for the rack attack. I’m somehow able to get out of her hold on me. I dropkick her, and lineup for the spear. I’m able to pull the spear off. I’m lucky because she didn’t see it coming. I pin her immediately after. I didn’t think I’d get a three count, but I do. I’m surprised when the bell rings, and Lillian announces there’s a new Divas’ champion.

Hearing Lillian say it almost brings me to tears. I grab my new belt. I wrap it around my arms, giving it the most secure hug. I turn around to face Nikki. She’s holding her ribs, giving me a scowl. I also get a harsh look from Brie. I know Brie is in character, but Nikki’s face looks genuine. She’s upset I beat her, and I don’t blame her.

I jog backstage. I’m greeted by a roaring crowd of people. Everybody tells me how well I did, even though the match was so close. “I almost thought you didn’t have it there,” Bryan tells me as he waits for his wife and sister-in-law.

I grin, still holding the belt close. “I thought the same thing.” I look into the crowd of people, but I can’t find Seth. He’s the only person I want to see right now. I don’t know why I can’t find him, but I try to shrug it off. I go grab a water and head to Stephanie’s office. I know she’s probably busy because of the show tonight. I just want to see her for even just a moment and thank her again for having some faith in me.

I knock on the door to her office. A muffled voice tells me to come inside, so I do. I’m greeted by Stephanie. She’s sitting in a large leather chair, facing a tv monitor. The TV has all the cameras lined up that show the matches. She turns around to face me. “Shay! Congratulations!” She gets up from her seat and gives me a hug, even though I’m a sweaty mess. “I knew you’d win tonight!”

“Thank you! I wanted to thank you, too, for putting so much trust in me. I couldn’t have done this without you.”

She waves her hand at me, indicating that what I’m telling her is false. “You earned this. 100% you.” She invites me to watch the next match with her, so I do.

I hear someone come inside and shut the door. I look around. Hunter is standing in the doorway. When he sees me, he smiles. “Look at our new champion!”

I thank him. Stephanie asks where he’s been. “Taking care of business, just like I always do,” He jokes. I ask him if he knows where Seth is. His smile falters just enough for me to notice. “Yeah, he’s preparing. You should see him in an hour or so, when his match starts.” We make some small talk, but I later excuse myself. I’m excited to be champion now, but the way Hunter looked when I mentioned Seth’s name gets to me. I can’t shake the feeling that something’s going on.

My thoughts turn positive when I’m back in the locker room. “Hey, new champ. How’s your shoulder?” Brie asks, grinning. Beside her is Nikki, who already changed back into her dress. After John’s match, she will probably leave.

“It’s alright. I’ll ice it later,” I smile.

Nikki shoots me an angry look. “You shouldn’t have won tonight. That was pure luck. I had you, and you know it.”

“It’s never over until the bell rings,” I remind her. She shrugs and asks Brie to watch John’s match with her. Brie tells her she’ll be there momentarily. Nikki leaves, just as angry as she was before. “Was that bullshit she was feeding me Monday?” I ask Brie.

She shrugs. “Kind of. She didn’t expect you to win. But I’m really glad you did. You deserve this, Shay! I love Nikki; she’s my sister. She’s been champion for a while, and now it’s someone else’s turn. You’re obviously the most dominate Diva in this industry. Embrace it.” I give her a much needed hug. “Did you see Seth?” She asks.

I frown, shaking my head. “Not yet.”

“That’s weird,” She comments.

“I know, but I’ll see him tonight. It’s a big night for us, you know.”

Brie raises her eyebrows and smirks. “How so?”

“Our storyline is taken to the next level. It doesn’t matter if he wins or loses tonight, it’s going there.”

Brie claps her hands in excitement. “Onscreen kisses are so fun. Wait, have you even kissed him yet?”

“Not yet,” I sigh. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to before. I’ve just been too nervous to take the opportunity. She tells me not to worry. Hopefully he’s a good kisser and things run smoothly.

We meet with a big group of people in the lounge. We watch all the matches together, placing silly bets on who we believe will win. Just before Seth’s match rolls around, I head over to where we usually meet. Seth looks a little uneasy when I see him. His look doesn’t even change when he looks at me. I’m a little disappointed, but I don’t try to show it.

“Hey, hot stuff,” I grin. I try to lighten up the mood, and it works. Seth chuckles lightly.

“You did wonderful out there. Look at you! You’re champ.” I nod, overwhelmed with pride. I have my belt wrapped around my waist. Looking down at it, I feel fantastic all over again.

His music starts, and we walk out together. The only difference from tonight and any other time, is my championship belt. When we walk, he points at it. He lets the crowd know the the girl he claims as his is just as good as he is. We follow the same routine once he’s in the ring.

His match is great, too. Unlike my match, Seth holds the upper hand. From the start to the end, Owens had no chance. Seth retains his title. Even though he’s been champion for a while, I’m still proud of him. Now comes the nerve wracking part. The part he and I haven’t even talked about.

I hand Seth his belt, which he accepts. He looks confident, and it reminds me to be the same. I loop my arms around Seth’s waist. He holds his world heavyweight title in the air with one hand. The other hand is placed gently on the side of my neck.

I look into his eyes for a brief second. His face may look arrogant, but his eyes are all nerves. I take initiation. Hesitation may look bad for us both. I try to give him a reassuring look before I go for it. In front of thousands of people, I share my first kiss with Seth.

It didn’t matter that he’s sweaty or that I’m in a sold out arena. Kissing Seth is nothing like I imagined, but in the best way. The initial plan, in my mind, was a quick peck and everything would be fine. That didn’t go exactly as planned. The kiss turned from one simple kiss, to another. We shared one of those real kisses, like the kind you see in movies.

I didn’t expect it to be passionate and eager, but it just happened that way. Once I remember that we’re on camera, I stop kissing him. Seth blinks back to reality, too. He licks his lips looks into my eyes. The nervousness in his cocoa eyes have turned into happiness, or so it seems. I grab his hand and lead him outside the ring.

I’m in awe with the whole situation. Things were taken to a different level just moments ago. I know my part was genuine. I didn’t hold myself back. I’ve wanted to kiss Seth for a while now, and I finally got to. What I don’t know is if Seth just went with it or felt the same. His acting skills are perfect, so I really don’t know.

Once we’re backstage, before anybody could say anything to us, Seth stops. He leans down, so his words will only be heard by me. “I need to talk to you. My hotel room tonight?” I just nod, and he walks away.