Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Smackdown

I walk outside to join Hunter. When he sees me, he’s all smiles. The hard exterior he wore moments before has deteriorated. “Good to see you, Shay,” He says.

“I could say the same to you,” I smile back. “But what’s up?”

We walk into the direction of his office. “I just want to have a brief chat before Seth enters the building.” I nod, and he continues. “First off, on an unprofessional note, we learned of yours and Seth’s relationship. It’s personal, as well, right?”

“Yeah, we’re an official couple,” I grin.

“I’m happy for you two. Especially talking with Seth firsthand. He’s been struggling with that since we started the storyline. Anyway, I just have little details to discuss because you’re still relatively new to the business. Nikki Bella has a rematch clause. She will request a rematch. She already has, in fact. For Summerslam, you can defend it against her. I told her that was the deal. Our goal is to not only have you onscreen with Rollins, but to have some beef with her. She may interrupt speeches or interfere with matches before her match.”

“Planned or unplanned with the interfering? I know she’s a loose cannon and full of negativity lately.” I ask.

He shrugs. “Maybe a little of both. We’re not as focused on her because she’s no longer champion. We also loved that you wore Seth’s shirt on Monday. Keep that up. It’s good for ratings. Also, your schedule will be filled. There will be less free time. More interviews, more training, more photoshoots. Lucky for you, Seth is also in the same position so we can have you together in more places.”

“So, what can’t Seth know before our meeting?”

Hunter shrugs. “We just want you to take part in a backstage photoshoot. We have cameras set up and you look fantastic. You’ll probably be here until showtime, if that’s alright.” I agree, mostly because it’s my only choice. He walks me over to where my photoshoot will take place. I thank him before he walks away. “We’ll see you in a bit, Shay!” He calls out.

I meet with the photographer. Sharon, I think is her name. I ask if I can shoot a quick text to someone. When she tells me it’s no problem, I send a message to Seth. I tell him I’ll be here until showtime. If he could pack me a bag with one of his shirts for me, the rest of my ringwear (it’s in a red suitcase next to his dresser), and grab me a tea from Starbucks on his way over, he would be the best. I know Seth will agree, so I set my phone down and begin my shoot.

We take a longer than usual photoshoot. We wander around the mostly empty arena, taking pictures anywhere that seems interesting. While the photoshoot took longer than it probably should’ve, it was enjoyable. I even get to look over the photos we wake and personally choose which ones I’d like to go on the website. It was nice to interact with photographers as kind as Sharon.

Once we’re finished, people are piling into the venue. Alicia runs over to me towards the end, and we get a few pictures together. Even if it were a solo photoshoot, sometimes pictures with others can be added, or at least emailed to us.

I make some small talk with Alicia until I’m called into the office. I walk into the office to see my boyfriend, Stephanie, and Hunter all sitting around talking. I close the door once I’m inside. “Hey, guys,” I say, taking a seat next to Seth. He hands me the tea I ask him to get me, and I take a few sips from it.

“How was your shoot?” Stephanie asks me.

“It went really well,” I admit.

She grins in response. “I’m glad to hear that. Now, let’s get down to business. I’m ready to focus on Summerslam now. My husband may have told you, Shay, you’ll be having your rematch with Nikki at Summerslam. As for you, Seth, we’re putting you in a rivalry between John Cena. It’s been awhile since your last rivalry with him, and we want the circumstances to be different. Now that you’re through with Owens, we want you ringside for Shay’s matches. We want you together as much as possible. The world is reacting really well to you two; better than expected, actually.” She stops speaking to let the words sink in. “Tonight you have a match against just Brie Bella, Shay. It’ll keep the Bella feud intact. Any questions?”

Both Seth and I shake our heads no, and we’re dismissed. We exit the room, shutting the door behind us. Seth hands me my small black duffle. “I don’t think I expected that,” Seth admits. We walk over towards catering as we talk.

I grab ahold of his free hand as we walk. “Are you worried?” I ask.

He hesitates before replying. “No, I just had my feud with Cena earlier in the year. I beat him last time, so I guess there’s nothing to be worried about.”

I nod, swinging our hands as we walk. “You’ll do great” I assure him.

We walk into catering. He tells me he’s going to make himself a plate, and I take my seat at a table. He sets our duffle bag down and walks over to buffet. I scan the room to see who’s here. It’s a half full room. I see familiar faces, but nobody I’m excited to talk to. Seth comes back quickly with a large plate of food. He sits down next to me with a huge smile on his face. “I’m so hungry.”

I laugh and take the apple off his plate. Seth gives me an offended look, but takes a large bite from his sandwich. “How was your interview?” He asks between bites.

“It’s alright. The interviewer asked how we came to be, so I told him a toned down version of the truth,” Seth nods, and I continue. “I told him we met through the business - which is true - but we had some instant connection. Once our relationship became official, we had to share it with the outside world because of how excited we were.”

“That sounds good. I’ll say the same thing in my interviews, but I think our real story is better,” He says, raising his eyebrows.

“I know, but do I say ‘We were forced to be a couple, but we actually kind of worked out anyway?” I take a bite of my apple, and Seth bursts out laughing.

“Yes, that’s exactly what you’re supposed to say,” He jokes.

Smackdown goes surprisingly smooth. Seth and I start through our speeches at the beginning of the show, but halfway through, John Cena interrupts. His speech is entertaining, as always. He tells Seth he runs his mouth too much and I’m a little too out of his league. He then talks about what being a champion is like, and that Seth is a disgrace with how cocky he is. Seth and I act pissed off, but once we’re backstage, John pulls me aside.

“Yo, Shay! I heard you’re actually lovebirds with that man over there. That’s cool, so please don’t take my words to heart. I’m happy for you, even if my girlfriend isn’t,” He offers a shrug and a small smile. I thank him and let him know it’s no worries; I know the difference between business and pleasure. I tell Seth this as I return to him. He has nothing to worry about.

As the show progresses, I have my match with Brie. Nikki is ringside for her sister, and Seth is ringside for me. Having him ringside is almost distracting for me. I love having him by my side, but, with him here, Brie is able to pull a few good moves on me. In the end, I get the pin, and remain undefeated.

I didn’t expect Nikki to straight up attack me after the match. She grabs fistfuls of hair and slams me on the mat. After a few kicks, Seth intervenes. He doesn’t hit Nikki, but he pushes her away from me and helps me up. I hold my belt in the air and yell out that she’s weak as Seth and I head backstage.

Seth has a match against the Big Show tonight. He does well, too. He may be starting a rivalry with John, but the seed was planted tonight by the speech. In a backstage interview, Seth talks about how he’d like to shut Cena up. Now everything is in motion.

At the end of the show, Seth and I decide to head back to his apartment. Instead of partying with our coworkers, we keep the night lowkey. I buy us a bottle of wine. We shower together, drink half a bottle of wine, and watch movies in his living room. I feel happier than I’ve ever been. The show was great, and my night is fantastic. I could really get used to this.