Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Awkward Introductions

Thursday rolls around quickly, almost as quickly as I hoped. I roll into the venue a little before I was told to be there, mostly in fear of being late. The venue is relatively empty right now. Things are getting set up, so it’s a little cluttered and chaotic.

It’s a beautiful day in Maine. I take a moment to appreciate the summer sun. I let the rays heat my skin just before walking inside the cold building. I check the time, and it’s just about the time I was told to meet everyone. I look around the venue for my bosses’ office for the night.

It actually doesn’t take me long to find it. The door is wedged open just a bit, so you can’t really see inside. I can hear Stephanie’s very distinct voice, though. I can only hear her - not another voice. I don’t know what she’s saying, or if the conversation is important, but I knock on the door anyway. She answers after a few moments, telling me to come inside.

I open the door to see Stephanie on her cell phone. When she lays her eyes on me, her face lights up, and she tells whoever is on the other end of the call that she needs to go. She motions for me to sit down on the couch pushed off to the side, and I do just that. She sits down on the couch adjacent to mine. “Good to see you, Shay!”

“Same to you, Stephanie,” I smile back.

She tells me that Hunter and Seth will be here in a moment. She had a phone call she needed to shoo them away for. She laughs, saying that it’s baby business. “I don’t think Seth would really like to hear my child’s dilemma.” I laugh, agreeing with her.

What I appreciate about my bosses is how real they are. They’re so open and welcoming, I can’t help but feel accepted into the circle. Stephanie texts her husband. Within a few minutes, both Seth and Hunter are in the small room.

Seth takes a seat next to me, while Hunter sits in the spot next to Stephanie. We say our hellos, and I take a moment to check Seth out. This is the first time seeing him up close. I’ve seen him walk by once or twice, but I didn’t get to study his face. His multicolored hair is pulled back into a bun, showing off his facial structure perfectly. His eyes are dark, so dark I almost can’t see his pupils. Looking down from his face, I see him wearing a black t-shirt. It’s tight on him, highlighting his muscles in ways I thought weren’t possible. He’s wearing dark blue jeans and a pair of converse. His whole look is on point, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t attracted to him.

This is the man I’m supposed to have a storyline with? Bring it on.

“Have you two met?” Hunter asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

“Not officially,” I reply. Seth looks over at me, and we lock eyes for the first time. He offers a small, awkward smile, and I return it.

“Sorry to introduce you two like this,” Hunter laughs. “Maybe you two should hang out after this. Get to know each other. You’ll be seeing a lot of each other soon.” He laughs again, as if to lighten up tension. “Anyway, we have a lot to discuss.”

Stephanie pitches in. Her voice is professional, but she remains to sound friendly. “As you both know, we’re about to make a big change. The WWE has been pretty consistent this past year with characters and title holders. We’d like to change that in a very dramatic way. Seth, you’ve been with us for a while. I know you’ve been under a negative persona, especially with the crowd, since you’ve been here. We can’t just take you out of that - we have to ease you out. This is where Shay comes in. Shay is our new Diva. Our wildcard, so to speak. She also has this very angelic, good girl look about her. Crowds love her, and they hardly know her. She’s also one of the toughest women in the locker room, and I’m not just saying that.”

I can’t hold back a blush at Stephanie’s words. She continues her pitch, saying, “That’s why it’s so essential for you, Seth, to have this pairing with Shay. The crowd could potentially switch over. Now, I know you want everybody to like you, but we believe it’s best for business if you stay primarily in the bad boy role. We can offer you a best of both worlds, even split when it comes to fans reactions, though. Sort of like how you see Randy Orton or John Cena. Similar to that. Anyway, we want you two to be a power couple. We want you two as the face of the WWE.”

“What do we do?” Seth interjects.

“Just an onscreen romance. For Monday’s show, we’ll show the Universe the two of you flirting backstage. Have Shay be ringside for your matches, and you to hers. When Shay gets her title opportunity, if she continues to excel, that is, you’ll be right there. The goal is, after the title win, you two will be a true couple. The onscreen affection will really begin then. If Shay’s not winning the title, we can alter the plan.”

I let out a breath. A lot of this is riding on me, and it’s extremely stressful. I look over at Seth. He has a look on his face I can’t explain. I don’t know how he feels about the plan for us, but I wish I could figure it out. He doesn’t say anything, so I decide to speak. “Is there anything else for us?”

Hunter rubs the back of his head, letting out a long sigh before speaking. “We’d like to make this as real as possible. Hang out with each other. Please, get to know each other. This storyline can’t work out if you two don’t have chemistry. Before today, you haven’t known each other. You’re both single, right? Go on a date! You two don’t actually have to date each other in real life, but it’s important right now. Real chemistry is better than artificial, any day of the week.”

“And just remember, we’ve been in your shoes before. Hunter and I have done family storylines years ago. We really get what we’re asking you to do. We may be asking for a lot, but you’ll be rewarded. Do you think we can do this? Can we plan for Monday?” Stephanie asks.

I nod at Steph and Hunter, but turn over to Seth to see his reaction. After a few minutes, he speaks. “Yeah, count me in.” After he says this, I also verbalize that I’m ready for this, too.

“Great! Shay, I know the original plan was to put you in a match tonight, but I feel this is more important. Seth has an in-ring speech tonight, but it’s at the very start of the show. After, I’d like you both to go out and get dinner or something. See if you have that chemistry Hunter was talking about.”

“Will do, Steph,” Seth says. We all get up. I leave the room first, followed by Seth. He shuts the door behind him.

I turn around to him. “I’m sorry I never got a chance to introduce myself beforehand. My name is Shay.” I extend my hand, unsure of what else to do. Seth offers me a small smile as he shakes my hand.

“Seth. Don’t worry about not introducing yourself before, it’s not a big deal. I do have to get ready for the show, though. Can I get your number? Just so I know where I can meet up with you later, you know.” I pull out my iphone and put it up to the new contact page for him. He creates his contact, handing me my phone once he’s finished. “I’ll see you later, Shay.”

With my phone in my hand, I watch Seth walk away. I imagined him to be a little more welcoming towards me, but it seemed like he was saying the absolute minimum of what he had to say. I try not to take his lack of friendliness towards me personally, but it’s difficult. We learned we were going to spend good amount of time together, and our first meeting wasn’t promising.

I try to push the negative thoughts out of my head as I walk to the Divas locker room. Paige, Natalya, and Alicia are sitting around talking. I say hello to the girls as I walk in, and they greet me in return. “I didn’t know you’d be here today!” Nat says, pulling me into a warm hug.

“Yeah, I had to talk character,” I reply. I sit down next to the girls, who all look ready for matches today.

“Oh, what’s your character going to be? We took bets.” Paige asks. I can’t help but smile. Paige is truly great. Everything about her is refreshing and different, but so welcoming. Aside from Brie, I’ve hit it off with her the most so far.

“Please tell me you’re going to be a goody two shoes. We don’t have one of those!” Alicia squeals. I shake my head no, and her mouth drops. “Really? You have the face!”

I laugh, still shaking my head. “I know, I know. But they want me to do something different. I can’t even explain it well yet.”

“Try!” Paige urges.

“I basically just get to be me, but I have to be portrayed as dating one of the Superstars.”

Alicia’s squeals again, clapping her hands. “Girl, I’m so jealous. As a single girl surrounding by the hot men I have to work with, I envy you. Who is it? Because, if it’s a dude who isn’t attractive, I couldn’t do it.”

“Seth Rollins?” I don’t mean for my words to come out of my mouth inquisitive, but I can’t help it. Brie wasn’t exactly welcoming on the idea. Seth didn’t even seem overjoyed to hear it. I’m left a little insecure with the decision of Seth.

Alicia and Paige both make a face. “Really?” Alicia asks. She flips her hair to the side and stands up. “He’s kind of cute, I guess. But I haven’t really talked to him?”

“He’s been here for a few years, and you haven’t talked to him?” Natalya shakes her head at Alicia, who just makes a face at her. “I don’t know him well. He’s kind of guarded. But he’s champion, so that’s a great spot for you.”

“It will also make you the most hated woman in the locker room,” Paige jokes. “The crowds hate him!”

“I know,” I sigh. I want to tell the ladies more about how I feel, but I don’t want anything to circulate around. If I’ve learned anything from just observing, it’s that word really does tend to get around. I also don’t want Seth to hear me say anything negative about our storyline, so I keep everything to myself. I change the subject, asking what time it is.

“Almost showtime,” Nat responds. She turns on the TV monitor, which is already at the channel Smackdown will be showed on. The girls sit around the monitor. Paige and Alicia have a match against each other tonight, Paige tells me. It’s the first match of the night, but fifteen minutes into the show.

“Yeah, isn’t the show starting with Shay’s lover boy makes a speech?” Alicia teases.

I nod, verifying Alicia’s question. Before too long, the show is starting. Paige and Alicia leave the locker room right at showtime. Natalya and I watch the screen. Seconds into the show, Seth’s music starts and he’s walking to the ring, his belt hung around his waist. He looks great. He looks confident with himself, even though the crowd is booing him.

I don’t pay much attention to his speech, though. I take this time to take my phone out and text Brie a few of the details about tonight. I also tell her I’m supposed to get dinner with Seth. I’m nervous, and I wish she was here with me to help me get ready.

Natalya, sensing my tension, pulls me into another hug. “He really isn’t that bad, Shay. You’re going to be the only Diva in the lockerroom to know him, and that’s huge.”

I give her a reassuring smile. “Thank you, Nattie. I have to get dinner with him tonight, and I’m just really nervous. We were instructed to find our chemistry, so when the story is introduced next week, it’ll look real.”

“When are you leaving? I can get TJ to go with us if you want?”

I shake my head. “I really appreciate it, but we have to go right after his speech. Boss’s orders.” Natalya gives me a soft, apologetic smile, and wishes me the best. I thank her, and we both redirect our attention to the TV screen.

Seth’s now informing the crowd that he is now doing everything alone. He doesn’t need the help of any of the bosses. It’s a speech the crowd has heard a million times before, but it’s the speech he has to give. Once he’s finished, he struts backstage. I know my date with him is soon, and I can’t help but feel nervous about it. I look down at my outfit. I have on dark pants, a floral crop top, black faux leather jacket, and some Doc Martins on. My hair is curled and pinned to the side. I was unsure of what I was doing tonight, so I tried to make my outfit as versatile as possible. “Do I look dinner ready?” I ask Nat, who nods eagerly.

“You look stunning,” She assures.

I thank her, and then grab my phone to text Seth. I let him know that it’s me, and I’m ready to leave whenever he is.

Within a few minutes, he texts me back. ‘Meet me by the doors in ten minutes?’ is all it says. I’m slightly disappointed, but I don’t know why. Maybe I was expecting more from him. I send another message, telling him that I’ll be there. While I wait for the time to pass, I watch some of Paige and Alicia’s match.

“I’m so fucking nervous, Nattie.” I try to refrain from opening up, and only focus on the match, but it’s hard. Natalya is so kind and welcoming. Aside from Brie, she’s the easiest for me to open up to.

“Just think of it as a business meeting. Your career will take off after this. Don’t think of it as a date or anything like that.” Her words give me a slight sense of calm, but I’m still nervous. I don’t want to be insecure, but I can’t help it.

A few minutes go by, and I thank Natalya for her kindness. She tells me to text her how my date goes - or to at least give her every detail on Monday. I promise her I will. Then, I walk to the doors to the venue.

Seth is waiting for me. He’s back to wearing what he was when I first saw him today, but his hair is down this time. He doesn’t smile when he sees me. He keeps a straight face. I take a deep breath and try to keep Nat’s words with me, but it’s hard. I put on a big smile as I walk to him, even though it isn’t returned.

Tonight could go either really well or completely dreadful. I’m really, really, hoping it goes better than anticipated.