Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Understandbly Upset

Seth sits up. He takes his shirt off and looks down at his bottom half. I can tell he’s figuring out if he wants to change, so I take the opportunity to put on my own pajamas. I slip out of my clothes and put on an oversized Blackhawks tee and small red shorts. I sit back down next to Seth, who decided to put on a pair of sweats. “What’s going on?” I ask Seth again.

He sighs. “I don’t know. I’m not used to talking about Dean and Roman. It brings up so many painful memories.”

I wrap my arms around him and place a kiss on his bearded cheek. “I’m sorry, babe. Maybe Brie shouldn’t have mentioned it.” As much as I’m glad Brie brought it up for my sake, I feel awful seeing Seth like this. It’s so obvious how much he’s hurting, and I almost think it’s better if I just went without knowing.

Seth shakes his head. “No, it’s okay. I figured it was going to be brought up eventually. It’s just difficult because I was once inseparable with these guys. I made the wrong business move and lost my two best friends. It’s hard to wrap my mind around that.”

My left hand grabs hold of Seth’s chin and guides his face over just enough to he make eye contact with me. “It wasn’t a bad business move; it’s what was best for business. I know you know that. You’re the WWE Champion, Seth. You’re creating yourself a legacy. I think Dean and Roman are being petty because they declined an opportunity that was in their best interest. Let’s face it baby, if you’re not aiming to be the top dog, you’re not going to succeed. You’re doing everything right. The Shield was fantastic. I loved being able to see you guys in the ring. But, you’re also an amazing singles competitor. As of right now, you’re the best in the business. The world envies you, babe.”

“It’s just so lonely up top,” Seth admits. He looks down and runs his hands through his hair. I know he’s still upset, and I want more than anything to fix it for him.

“I’m here for you, you know,” I tell him. Seth mumbles something to the effect of it not being the same. A little hurt, I feel my smile falter. I pick at the pink nail polish on my fingers and wait for Seth to say something. We’re now both hurting, which makes the atmosphere in the room a little uneasy.

After a few quiet minutes, Seth wraps his arms around my waist. “I’m sorry, that was rude of me,” He says. He tackles me down on the bed and places a few kisses on my nose. “I really am so thankful to have you in my life, baby girl.”

I sneak in a kiss of my own. “I’m glad to hear that, because I’m convinced you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

Seth’s cheeks turn a faint shade of red. My fingers tangle into Seth’s hair, and he positions himself on top of me. We lose time through kisses. My upset feelings have deteriorated, and I’m left feeling nothing but confidence with Seth and our relationship.

We don’t have it easy. We work hard, devoting the majority of our days to our careers. When we don’t wrestle, we train. We make appearances on all of our off time. The only pro of working alongside him is being able to see him constantly. Working alongside my boyfriend can be a challenge. For example, these rumors I’m dealing with would not have started if I wasn’t with him.

I pull away from Seth. “I need to tell you something.”

He pulls me into a sitting position. My legs make a ‘v’ around him. His hands rest on my legs. “What is it?” He asks.

I don’t know how to say what I’m about to say, but, the more I think about it, I think Seth should know. I don’t want secrets between us. “Okay, well, Brie brought up The Shield because I wouldn’t ask.”

Seth’s face shows only shock. “Why?”

I shake my head and sigh. It feels ridiculous to have withheld information from him for so long. “You know how I told you about Dean approaching me before? Roman did it, too. I was just curious on what happened between you guys if they’re both warning me.”

Seth looks down, breaking our eye contact. His right hand moves across my leg, up and down. It’s almost like it’s a soothing thing for him. I know he’s upset. Just waiting for him to say something leaves me nervous. “When did this happen?” He finally asks.

“A few weeks ago,” I admit.

Seth looks back up at me, and he looks crushed. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was curious about why they would say anything to me about you. I didn’t think it was their place. When Dean said something, I dismissed it. Later, when Roman said something, I still wasn’t phased, but I was curious. I wanted to know what would possess these guys to say something like that to me. I just wanted to know if your breakup was sloppy.”

Seth sighs. The look on his face hasn’t changed, even after my explanation. “I just don’t know how you didn’t bring it up to me,” He says. “You could’ve asked. You know I would’ve told you.”

“I know,” I nod. “It just never seemed like the right time. We have a lot going on, and I didn’t want to add to it.”

“Add to what?” Seth asks.

This time I sigh. “The stress. I don’t know if you realize this, Seth, but you have a tendency to overreact.”

“I do not!” Seth insists. I start to give him examples of times he has, but I stop myself. I don’t think it’ll do any good. “Did you really withhold information from me because you thought I’d overreact?”

“I did, and I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have,” I put my hand on Seth’s cheek. His facial hair tickles the palm of my hand. “I’m sorry,” I repeat when Seth doesn’t say anything.

“I know,” Seth says. His hand moves mine away from his face. “Let’s just go to bed. We can talk about it more tomorrow.” I reluctantly nod. We get under the covers. Seth turns off the light, and we lay the darkness with an awkward silence between us.

It feels like it’s been hours without sleep, but it’s probably been fifteen minutes. I don’t have a clock near me to verify. I do know that Seth isn’t sleeping beside me. His breathing is quiet, and he snores while he sleeps. The night is leaving him restless, just like it is with me.

Seth doesn’t even wrap his arm around my waist, like he’s become accustomed to doing every night. I want to reach over, but I resist the temptation. He needs his space.

Did I make a mistake? Should I not have told him? I can’t help but wonder.