Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Monday Night Raw

Monday’s show is in Indiana. It’s Sunday night, and I’m in my hotel room. Today I share my room with Brie because her sister decided to room with John this time. We’re sitting around, waiting for a text from Nikki. Our plan for the night is to hit the gym and get dinner after.

By now, I’ve already told Brie about my time with Seth. She still seems iffy on the whole storyline, but she’s excited for me at the same time. If I have to work closely with someone, it should definitely be someone I work well with.

Once we get our text from Nikki, Brie and I meet the brunette at the gym. We’re all business while we train, but once we’re finished, we’re back to our gossipy selves.

I’m good friends with Nikki, but her and I aren’t nearly as close as I am with Brie. She knows nothing about my night with Seth. She’s quick to ask about it. Right after training, she’s brings it up. “Seth Rollins, huh?”

I smile. “Yeah. I’m pretty excited about it.”

“Really?” She makes a face. “He’s kind of, I don’t know, mean?”

“I think he’s more misunderstood. I thought he was really standoffish before I really met him. Steph and Hunter told us to get acquainted and get dinner, so we just went to my hotel room. We just hung out, and it was so nice. Like, so fucking nice. He’s a great person.” I try to explain.

“So, what’s the storyline going to be?”

This is the part I didn’t want to explain to Nikki. The thought of explaining to the current champion that the bosses want me to be champion is a little difficult. I just shrug and try to play everything off cool. “They want us to be a power couple.”

“A power couple? Really?” She immediately looks annoyed. “I’ve been trying to pitch that idea for me and John for months. Nobody was going for it. Are you going to try to take my title away?”

“If I get the opportunity, I will. But remember, I didn’t ask for this storyline. The bosses presented it to me. I can’t say no.”

Nikki rolls her eyes. “It’s just bullshit.”

Brie, sensing the obvious tension, changes the the conversation back to Seth and me. “So, what’s going to happen Monday?”

“The storyline goes into effect. Seth and I will be flirting behind the scenes or something. I don’t really know.” Explaining the whole situation gets awkward because I know how unhappy Nikki is. It’s so awkward, I decide to skip out on dinner.

It doesn’t get better by the time Monday rolls around. I left the twins to talk the previous night, but Nikki didn’t want to cool down. Brie explained to me in the morning that she’s just mad that the new girl is getting a little more privilege than she did. Nikki is upset at me for things not in my control, and I can’t help that.

I try my best to shrug it off, but it’s hard. Stephanie sent me a text earlier in the day telling me to get to her office when I get to the venue. I leave before Brie does, and get to the venue at 7:30 - a half hour before showtime.

Inside, Stephanie is glad to see me. “Hey, Shay!” She greets, pulling me into a brief hug. “I just wanted to touch base. How was your night with Seth?”

“It was much better than I thought it’d be,” I grin.

“That’s great to hear.” Stephanie and I sit down across from each other. “Tonight, maybe around 8:30 or so, we’d like to film you and Seth. Flirt with each other. Make the WWE Universe believe you two are very interested in each other.” She grabs a paper off the desk and hands it to me. “Tonight’s schedule. You also have a match against Brie Bella tonight. If you beat Brie, you’ll get a shot for the title at Battleground. It’s a big night for you, Shay.”

I tell Stephanie how much I appreciate this opportunity, but she quickly lets me know that I earned this. “If you win this match tonight, you’ll be the only Diva to have this early of a winning streak. You earned this opportunity, Shay. You and you alone.”

She dismisses me and tells me to also expect a match Thursday. It doesn’t matter if I win or not tonight, I’m still competing next week. I take in all the information as I walk to the women’s locker room. I remember what Seth said about feeling uncomfortable in the locker room, so I decide to send him a text and ask if he’s here yet. While I wait for his response, I change into my ringwear. My match is a little over an hour from now, but I’d like to be ready. My outfit tonight is a matching black top and shorts. The front of the top ties, as well as the sides of the shorts. I also have white knee socks and boots that are a couple inches shorter than the socks.

Once I’m changed and ready, I get a text back. Seth informs me that he got into the venue about five minutes ago. ‘Let me know if you want to hang out before our interview :)’ I send back. He replies almost instantly, telling me he’d really enjoy that.

I can’t help but feel excited by Seth’s response. It feels almost like a complete turnaround from his first meeting from me. I know we benefited from getting to know each other on Thursday, but I didn’t expect the turnaround in his demeanor towards me. I’m still a little confused by Seth. I don’t know what to expect from him.

I meet Seth in a makeshift lounge near catering. A few long tables are set up. A lot of the Superstars eat and hang out here. I’m not surprised to see it full of people. When I get in, my friends are sitting at a table together. Brie waves me over to her table. I hold up a hand, indicating for her to wait a moment. I scan the room until my eyes find the 6’ man I’ve been looking for.

“Hey!” I smile, giving him a quick hug. “How are you?”

“I’m doing pretty good,” He answers. He looks really great. He’s already in his ringwear, minus the gloves. He’s smiling, which is a nice change from the straight faced man I was in the arena with on Thursday.

It’s almost awkward standing with him at first. This is my second time hanging out with him. While our first encounter was great, it was private. Things can always go differently in a public setting. I try to tell myself it’s just nerves and shake it off, and seeing Seth smile does just that. He asks if I want to sit down and leads me to a part of the tables with no people. We sit down across from each other and talk.

Seth looks pretty nervous just sitting here with me. His eye dart from place to place. He doesn’t really focus on one thing. I grab his hand to comfort him, and he’s brought back to reality. He squeezes my hand before letting it go. “How are you feeling about tonight?” He asks.

“I feel pretty good about it!” I admit. “This is going to be a great thing, for both of us.”

He nods, running a hand through his hair. “Yeah, I think so, too.”

“To be honest, I’m worried about the camera part. The behind the scenes, catching us flirting. I can accompany you to matches and feel great about it, but forced flirting is a little difficult for me. It’s nearly impossible for me to flirt with somebody I don’t like.” I know I sound worse than I intend, so I quickly add, “Which is nothing against you. I can flirt with you just fine, but we’re not a real couple. You know? I’m sorry, that sounds bad.” Seth bursts into laughter. I feel my face turn red. I cover my face with my hands, embarrassed. “Stop laughing!”

“I’m sorry,” Seth says once his laughter calms down. “I get what you’re saying. It’s like acting, and it’s hard when it’s your first time doing it.”

“Have you done this before?” I ask.

He shakes his head. “Not a relationship, but my character is acting. I did learn that as long as I’m comfortable with the people I’m involved with, it’s not so bad.”

I nod. That makes sense. Comfort is everything. “Are you comfortable around me?” I ask, partly nervous. I want this to be a comfort thing for both of us.

“Shay, I’m more comfortable around you than I am with most of the locker room.” As much as I love hearing Seth’s comfortable around me, I can’t help but feel for him. We hardly know each other. Seth has been here for years. He should be happy and comfortable with a good portion of the roster.

The chair next to me moves, and I turn to see Brie joining us. “Hey guys,” She says, offering us both a smile.

“Hey Brie,” I respond. I glance over at Seth, who shifts in his seat. It’s obvious he’s newly uncomfortable. He says hello and offers her a faint smile.

“I just saw you two sitting alone and thought I’d join you. I also wanted to warn you, Shay, before you talk to Nikki. She’s still extremely upset and irrational.”

I can’t help but sigh. “That’s ridiculous. I didn’t even do anything to her.”

“I know, but you know Nikki. She’s just a little threatened. She’ll cool off, but I think she needs another day or two.” Brie looks over from me to Seth. “How are you Seth?”

“I’m great,” He says. He doesn’t ask how she is. I can tell he’s nervous. He’s just as short as her as he was with me before.

“I’m glad to hear it. So, you guys are starting your story tonight?” We both nod. “That’s going to be great. You know, I met my husband doing the same thing you are.” She raises her eyebrows suggestively, putting me into a fit of laughter. Seth chuckles, too.

“I know, you’ve only said that seventeen times this past week.” Brie shrugs in response, telling me that it’s the truth. We continue to talk until the show starts. Seth excuses himself so he can prep for our camera time. I sit a little longer with Brie. She and I have one of the first matches tonight, but we’re both close to ready for it.

“Is he shy?” Brie asks once Seth is out of sight.

“I think he was more nervous than shy,” I say, shrugging.

“He’s nice though, when you talk to him. But our match tonight Shay, it’s going to be absolutely crazy!”

“I know! Our first official match! It’s going to be such a good match.”

Brie flips her hair out of her face, grinning. “I heard that if you win, you go against my sister.”

Part of me is surprised Brie knows this, but world travels fast around here. Maybe they told Nikki first because she is the champion, but I doubt it. “Yeah. Stephanie said I get a shot at Battleground with her if I beat you tonight. The stakes are high.”

“I’m really happy for you, Shay. You really do deserve this. Don’t listen to my sister. She’s honestly just upset because you’re a fantastic athlete and she wasn’t at your level when we debuted. You’re her competition and put on the story she wanted to do. She’ll be over it soon.” I thank Brie for her reassuring words. We check the time. I have ten minutes until my camera time with Seth, and immediately after I have a match. I tell Brie I’ll see her later and go to the spot Seth told me to meet him.

I’m the first one there, but I don’t mind. I talk to Dolph Ziggler as I wait - he was just standing around anyway. When Seth walks up to us, Dolph immediately dismisses himself from our conversation. When he’s gone, I turn over to Seth. “What was that about?”

“It happens all the time,” Seth shrugs.

“It’s kind of rude. He could’ve greeted you or something.”

“It’s okay, Shay. It really is. You’re just really polite compared to everybody else.” He offers me a partly reassuring smile, but I don’t buy it. One of the cameramen come over to us, and we know it’s time. I try to put my game face on, but I’m so nervous.

When given the signal, Seth puts his arm on the wall I’m leaning against, almost propping himself up. His title is draped over his other shoulder. He displays a look of confidence. I can tell he’s in his character just by his body language. “You look good tonight Shay.”

I look down at my outfit, and then smile back up to him. “Thanks Seth. I could say the same about you.”

He smirks, moving his belt slightly, as if showing it off. “You know, you’re the most beautiful woman in the locker room, right?”

I mean to only smile, but I can feel myself blush. I’m glad I’m not given a badass character because this acting thing is harder than it seems. “Thank you, Seth.”

“Do you have a match tonight?”

“My match against Brie Bella is up next,” I answer.

He grins, moving just a little closer to me. “Well, I’m in the main event tonight. I don’t know if you’ve heard, but I have a match against Randy Orton. After you win your match, how about you be ringside for mine?”

I’m shocked, but I remember not to show it. “I’d love to, Seth.”

The cameraman gives us a signal that he’s done filming us, and I can finally shake off my nerves. Was Seth supposed to ask that?

“You were great! How did you go into character so fast?”

He shrugs, taking a few steps back. “It takes practice. We can work on it on an off day together, if you want. You didn’t do too bad for your first time.” He winks at me, then laughs at himself for his goofy nature. I tell him I’d like that, and he grins. “Great. Good luck on your match tonight. I’ll see you soon.” He turns around and walks off.

I try to process what just happened, but I have to focus on the match I have in a few minutes. I wonder how everybody thinks it went. Seth went off the script tonight, and hopefully the bosses see it as a good move.