Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Blurred Lines

I don’t remember falling asleep, but I wake up beside Seth. His shirt is sprawled on my floor, inches from my couch. He’s sleeping, and he looks so peaceful. There’s a little drool on the corner of his mouth. I inch off the couch carefully so I don’t wake him.

I turn off the television, stuck on the main menu screen for True Blood. We must’ve fallen asleep while watching it. I grab my phone from the coffee table. I head to the kitchen. There isn’t a door that connects the kitchen and living room. You can see one room perfectly while inside the other. I prepare myself some tea and sit at the counter.

While I wait for the tea bag to alter the taste of my water, I check my phone. I answer the few texts I have. One of my messages is from Brie. She asks if I want to go to brunch with her. I look over at the sleeping man on my couch. As much as I’d like to see her, I decline. I don’t want to wake Seth.

After finishing my tea, I set the cup in the sink and walk to my bedroom. My bedroom somewhat resembles a teenage girl’s, but I love it. I moved into this apartment when I was 20. The room hasn’t changed since. Music and movie posters cover the white walls. I have a full length mirror near my closet. My curtains and bedsheets are a similar shade of purple. I have a surprisingly large closet, especially for a relatively small bedroom.

I pick dark holy jeans and a yellow striped Hurley shirt. I change into my new outfit and toss yesterday’s clothes into a hamper. I also take my braid out. I love having overnight braids because my hair gets so curly in the morning. It requires such little effort for my hair to have big curls. I’m confident with my appearance, but I go to the bathroom and put on a little makeup. I put on a tad bit of eyeliner, some mascara, and just a bit of lip gloss.

I walk back out to the living room. Seth is now awake - but barely. He slouches, his hands rubbing his eyes. “Good morning.” I catch him off guard. He looks over at me, a sleepy smile taking over his face.

“Shay, what time is it?” He asks.

I check my phone. “A little after 10:30.”

He stands up and stretches. “Should I get going?”

I shake my head, even though I’m not sure if he can see me or not. “You don’t have to. I’m not doing much until the signing later today. You can hang out, if you want.”

“I didn’t mean to fall asleep, you know. I was just so damn comfortable.” I tell Seth it’s alright that he did. We were up having a tv marathon last at night - we’re bound to fall asleep. “I guess you’re right,” Seth shrugs. “Can I at least make you breakfast or something?”

I accept his offer. We walk to the kitchen. I sit in the same stool I was in earlier. Seth scours my pantry. I tell him where some things are to make it easier for him. He makes us both veggie omelets and toast. I don’t want the conversation he and I are having to turn to business, but I know we both have meet and greets in a few hours and we won’t be able to talk until Raw. “How did Steph and Hunter feel about our first night on air?” I ask.

“They said it was a good move to ask you to be ringside, and you should keep doing that. Stephanie said your Instagram post was perfect, too. We’re doing exactly what they want us to do.”

“Well, I have match against Nikki tonight. It’ll be our match before Battleground. Do you want to be ringside for that?”

He plates our food and takes a seat next to me. He takes a few bites of his toast before answering. “My match at Battleground is with Kevin Owens. He might try to tamper with me during your match and I don’t want that distraction. After Battleground, I’d love to be ringside for every single one of your matches.” He gives me a cheeky smile.

“That sounds great,” I say, smiling. “Oh! I also have another question.”

Seth gives me an odd look and tells me to ask. “It’s nothing bad, I promise. But, are you going to dye your hair blonde again?” I ask, motioning to the blonde half of Seth’s hair. When he debuted, it had much more color. His hair has grown since then, and only a small bit of blonde remains.

He shrugs. “I might. What do you think?”

I look at his hair, which is now down. “I like multicolored hair. I don’t think you should color as much blonde, but I like how it is now. You’d look so different with your hair just black.”

“I’ll keep it in mind. But I have pictures of it just black.” He pulls out his phone and scrolls through photos. When he finds the photo he was searching for, he hands his phone to me. He doesn’t look bad, that’s for sure.

I hand the phone back to him. “Okay, you look great either way. Why did you change it in the first place?”

“I wanted a change once I got in the WWE. I changed my whole persona, and that went with it,” Seth explains.

“That makes sense.” We finish our breakfast. I take our dishes and set them in the sink. “Do you want to watch an episode or two before we have to go?”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea.” He makes himself comfortable on my couch. I turn the electronics on and ask him which episode he remembers seeing last. We spend a few minutes contemplating before deciding on an episode. When I sit back down, I try to keep the same distance I had before, but Seth pulls me to him. He wraps his arms around my waist. I’m suddenly conscious of his naked torso. I can feel his muscles press against me, but in a good way.

He rests his chin on my shoulder. “Is this okay?” His voice is almost a whisper.

“Yes,” I murmur.

“Good,” Seth’s voice is back to normal, but sounds much happier. He removes his chin from my shoulder and leans back. Since his hands are around me, I move with him. As we lay together, I can’t focus on Sookie and her mess. I can only focus on my potential mess with Seth.

I was worried last night about blurred lines between Seth and I, but now I’m more confused than ever. I don’t think this is what just friends do. It’s also been years since I’ve been in a serious relationship. Seth and I may not be serious, but I’ve almost forgotten how relationships work. I know I feel about the same as I did last time, but it’s so different. I just want to know what’s going through Seth’s mind. This would be so much easier if I just knew.

We don’t do more than cuddle. Two episodes later, we’re finished with season one. I move over a little so I can face Seth. “We have our signing soon. As much as I love your company, I think we both should prep for it.”

“I agree. You have me hooked on this show, Shay. When we’re on the road, please bring it. I need to watch it all.”

I laugh, moving completely out of Seth’s way so he can stand up. “I can just lend it to you, you know.”

Seth shakes his head repeatedly. “No, Shay. You’re stuck watching this with me. You created this new obsession, and now you have to deal with it.” He leans over and gives me a long, warm hug. “I hope that’s alright. I’ll see you later.”

As soon as Seth’s out of my apartment, I grab my phone and call Brie. She answers on the third ring. “What’s up?” She asks. She sounds a little busy, and I immediately feel bad I didn’t text before calling her.

“I need to talk to you tonight. It’s essential. I know the meet and greet is soon and the show starts right after, but it’s important.” I run my hands through my curly hair. I’m sure I’m stressing Brie out with my urgent words. I’m also talking fast, which is a nervous habit of mine.

“Calm down, Shay. Did something bad happen?”

“I don’t think so. I’m just weirdly confused and have so much going on, and I need you. I need to talk about things. I need, you know, advice.”

“I got you, girl. As soon as I’m in the arena I’ll find you.” I thank Brie and we hang up.

My signing is soon so I head to the arena. Signings are so much fun. I love meeting the fans. All of them are so sweet. For being the newest Diva, I have a pretty big fanbase. My title match was announced for Battleground already, and a lot of people are coming up to congratulate me like I already won. It’s such a crazy experience. I’m confident with myself as an athlete, but hearing fans talk so highly to me gives me a new sense of confidence. I’m humbled, truly, but knowing people believe in me motivates me. I believe in myself just a little more when others do, too.

I spend hours at my signing. I’m actually one of the last to leave. I head to the venue straight after. The first thing I do is search for Brie. She’s talking with Nikki and John. I walk over to them, a little nervous because of Nikki’s presence.

As soon as Brie sees me, her face lights up. “Shay!” She squeals, pulling me into a hug.

I put my arms around her and kiss her cheek. “I’m so glad to see you!”

Nikki gives us a weird look. “You guys see each other all the time. Calm down.”

“Shut up, Nikki. You’re just mad at Shay because she has a match against you and could win.” Nikki shakes her head and pulls John aside. John shoots me an apologetic look. I shrug and give him a look that says it’s no big deal.

Brie pulls me to chairs. Before we even sit down, she asks me what was going on. I shake my head. I don’t know if I’m happy or stressed out, and it worries me. “I told you about Dolph, right?” Brie shakes her head, confirming that I did tell her sometime during the week. “He’s been texting me rude things about Seth. I’ve been shrugging it off, but he actually went to the bosses and said that he wants a match against Seth tonight.”

“No he did not!” Brie says, raising her eyebrows. It’s always a gutsy move to do something like that.

“Yeah, crazy, right? Well, Hunter and Steph relayed it to Seth because they’re all so close. He agreed to it, and so those two are fighting it out tonight.” I sigh. This isn’t even half of what I need to tell her.

“Why did he agree to it?” She asks.

I hesitate. I don’t know how to word what I want to say. “Seth is taking it personally, too.”

“But why?” Brie pauses, a look of realization takes over her face. “He likes you, right?”

“I don’t know! We’re good friends. Over the past two weeks, we’ve become closer than I’d imagine. He told me he’s worried about my relationships with people here. His relationships with others are tainted, and he doesn’t want the same fate for me. I tried to explain Dolph is just irrationally upset, but he wants to shut Dolph up. I’m not mad about the match, but I’m a little upset he’s taking it so personally.”

“That’s just what guys do, Shay. If he has an opportunity to prove his toughness, he’s going to do it. A lot of men don’t do humble well... But there’s more you’re not telling me. I can tell in your voice.”

I sigh, putting my head in my hands. “I’m so confused, Brie. So fucking confused.”

She moves my hands so I have to look up at her. “What’s there to be confused about? Is it the match?”

“No, it’s more than that.” It’s weird putting my thoughts into words. Brie waits so I can think my words through. “I think I like him, but I don’t know if he likes me. I don’t know if I’m confusing work with us hanging out. I mean, we’re friends, you know? I became close with him quickly, but, given the circumstances, I’ve had to. But last night when we hung out, the vibe felt different. I realized how attracted I am to him, and not just physically. I’m worried he doesn’t feel the same way.”

She smiles, grabbing my hand. Her manicured fingers twine with mine. “I can tell how much you like him. You’ve never been so nervous about anybody. Maybe you should talk to him about it?”

“I don’t know. What if he doesn’t feel the same way? It would be so awkward.”

“But don’t you feel awkward not knowing?” She has a point. I just don’t know what the right thing to do is. I let go of her fingers and get up. “Maybe but I should wait until after Battleground?”

“That’s a week away,” Brie reminds me.

“I know, but I just think maybe it’s a good idea to wait. So much can happen in seven days.” We both get up and walk to the locker room. I set my bag down and change into my ringwear. Brie does the same. She may not have a match tonight, but she’ll be ringside for Nikki tonight.

This will be my first match against Nikki. I’m nervous, but also excited. As of now, Nikki is the best in the Divas division. Beating her would be huge. Brie and I catch up about her life as we wait for my match. She tells me about her husband’s unsteady health problems, but talks briefly about the matter. Bryan’s injury is something she doesn’t like to go into often. When the show starts, we join the other Divas to the watch the show.

Right before my match, Nattie pulls me aside. “How have things been going with Seth? I know you were worried at the beginning.”

Natalya is so caring about everybody. It really warms my heart knowing she’s taking the time to ask because she cares and not for the gossip. “It’s great,” I smile.

“I’m glad to hear that! You two looked really good together last week.” I thank Nattie, but I can’t talk any further. My match starts in a matter of minutes. I promise to contact her later as I walk to the match.

As challenger, my music will begin first. I see Nikki already there, her belt slung over her shoulder. She’s talking to Brie. What I don’t expect to see is Seth. He’s looking around uneasily. I rush over to him. I know my music is going to play any minute, so I don’t have much time. “Hey, what’s up?” I ask quickly.

Seth looks over at me. “Nothing really. I just wanted to wish you good luck.”

I give him a big smile and pull him into a hug. “Thanks, Seth. I need it.” My music starts. I let go of Seth and rush out to the crowd. I was already motivated for this match, but Seth’s comfort helped calm the nerves I had. He may not be ringside for me, but he was there before my match, and that was a surprise.

Maybe Brie was right?

I push the thoughts out of my head as quick as they come. Once I’m inside the ring, I’m professional. Once Nikki is out, our match starts.

Nikki is a tough competitor. After all, she’s Diva’s champ. The match begins with Nikki punching my jaw, but that was the only upper hand she had the whole match. Nikki and I have never been in the ring together, so it was a new experience for us both. My advantage is that I’ve trained with Brie. The twins are different, but they also fight similar.

My knowledge of Brie helps me out in this match. I dominate most of the match. I was able to spear Nikki and get the pin.

After the win, I look over at Brie. She goes to her sister’s aid because she has to, but she gives me a proud look. I slide out of the ring and walk backstage.

If this happens again, I’ll be the Divas Champion on Sunday.