Slow Dancing in the Darkness

19: If You’d Ever Loved Me, You Could

“What do you think about dinner, tonight?” Lionel posed as he pulled his jacket around his shoulders, his eyes peeking back at Gabriela who was cleaning up their breakfast things. It had been a little tough, after Rodrigo and Elise’s visit, Gabriela seemed to have retreated a little into her shell, but Lionel had still made a point of spending the weekend with her. He knew that it was going to end badly, Elliot was probably already in the process of manufacturing a move across the country just to get his ex-wife away from her boyfriend, but he was determined to prevent it. He was sure, given the time, that he could convince Gabriela that marrying him was a good idea and that it was the best thing for her and Noah.

“I was going to take Noah shopping when Eli eventually brings him back. It’s his fifth birthday next week and I’d like to spoil him” she enthused, a small smile on her face. It was a strange thought, the idea that her little boy was only a week away from being 5 years old, but Gabriela doubted she could have been prouder, Noah was a wonderful little boy, even despite the tension between his mother and father, and she was so happy to have him.

“It is?” Lionel commented, placing his keys into his pocket.

“Next Wednesday” Gabriela enthused “It means I have to see Eli and his parents, but I can’t wait. I can’t believe I have a 5 year old” she added.

Lionel tilted his head. “You have to see Elliot and his parents?” he posed.

Gabriela nodded. “It’s been the same since Eli and I divorced. We spend Noah’s birthday and Christmas together so that Noah doesn’t have to split his time between us” she explained, offering him a look “You’d be more than welcome too. I know that Noah loves you” she added, smiling a little.

Lionel smiled. “He’s a wonderful boy, even despite his papi” he enthused before he stepped towards her, pressing a light kiss to her lips. “How about Thiago and I come back here and we can go together?” he suggested. It was clingy, since they’d started to see one another, they could barely go hours without seeing one another, let alone touching or kissing one another, but he kind of liked it that way. They were comfortable, even despite the elephant in the room, and it made him more and more concerned about losing her.

“You don’t have to do that” Gabriela smiled, adjusting his jacket.

“I know” he replied gently “But I’d like too” he added softly.

Gabriela grinned at him and placed another kiss on his lips. “Then Noah and I would be more than happy to have you two join us” she enthused before she stepped away from him “I’ll see you in a bit” she added.

Lionel nodded his head dutifully and stepped towards the door, pulling it open as Elliot prepared to knock. “Lionel” he muttered.

Lionel offered the other man a look before he crouched down to his side, greeting Noah with a grin. “Hola, Noah” he smiled.

Noah grinned. “Leo” he exclaimed “I watched the game. Barca won” he grinned.

Lionel nodded his head. “We did” he confirmed “I’ll have to sort out tickets so that you and your madre can come and watch again” he offered.

Noah’s brown eyes widened. “You can do that?” he squeaked.

Lionel smiled. “For you and your mama, absolutely” he promised. Noah’s face lit up at the idea before he tossed his arms around the footballer, causing Lionel to hug him gently. “I’ll see you in a bit, Noah” he enthused as he stood back up, offering Elliot a pointed look before he wandered away. Elliot watched the other man go before he turned to Gabriela who had moved to pick Noah up, cooing gently at the little boy.

“He stays here now?” Elliot muttered.

Gabriela nodded. “Of course he does. He’s my boyfriend, Eli, and we’re going to spend nights together” she noted, her tone slightly dismissive.

Elliot rolled his eyes. “My father told me about how he acted the other day” he noted.

Gabriela rolled her eyes. “Eli, your father came in here and started acting poorly. Leo just stood up for me” she insisted.

“My father’s concerned” Elliot noted.

Gabriela scoffed. “Your father has always been concerned, especially since the divorce came through. Eli, you and your family need to get over this idea that you have some right to control my life. Our marriage didn’t end because of me, I was the wounded party, and you, your father, all you do is make it out to be my fault. You control me, and Noah, and I am tired of it. What is it going to take to make you see that I am over this?” she insisted, her voice frustrated.

“We were good together, Ela” Elliot replied.

“Before I knew you were sleeping with my best friend, Eli” Gabriela returned, quietly instructing Noah to take his stuff through to his room “You made me out to be an idiot” she added.

Elliot sighed. “I never meant it” he murmured “Elena just gave me something you didn’t” he added.

Gabriela snorted. “I didn’t realize that you needed to have sex every night, Eli” she shot back.

“That’s not what I am saying, Ela” he protested gently.

Gabriela shook her head. “I am not asking you to take a step out of Noah’s life” she murmured, her hand gently pushing her hair out of her eyes “I am fine with you wanting to be here for him, but are you really, Elliot?” she murmured.

“Ela, I am here for him” Elliot noted.

“I don’t think you are” Gabriela admitted gently “I think Noah takes a back seat for you and that your main aim in coming here is to get at me. Eli, I am done with us, done with you, and if you had ever loved me, I think you could afford me the same courtesy. I don’t want to get involved with your love life, I don’t want to spend time with your family and I need for you to extend me the same opportunity. Leo’s amazing, he’s great with Noah and with me, and I need you to do it for me. Eli, please” she insisted gently.

Elliot studied her face, noting the desperation in her eyes, and sighed. “I can’t, Ela” he murmured gently “I can’t get over you” he added.

Gabriela shook her head. “Please, Eli” she pleaded “I just want to move on with my life, like you have done with yours” she added.

Elliot pushed a hand through his dark hair before he shook his head. “I love you” he insisted gently “And if this is what it takes to keep you close to me and away from him, then I don’t want to stop. Ela, I love you, I love our son, and I believe that we could still have something here. You just need a little convincing” he insisted before he stepped towards her, placing a small kiss on her cheek “I’ll see you Wednesday” he insisted before he walked away.

Gabriela watched him go and sniffled. She just wanted him away from her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 and Jayme112234 for the comments :)