Slow Dancing in the Darkness

07: Head First, No Regrets

“How are you, Lionel?” Antonella posed gently as she sat in her ex-husband’s apartment, sparing him a polite smile. It was a frequent occurrence, with a son between them, she often spent time in his home, and she liked to keep an eye on him. It was no secret that out of the two of them, he had been the more upset when they’d called it quits and she liked to make sure that he was alright. Even despite the fact that they were no longer a couple, she wanted the best for him.

Lionel, who had been playing with their son, looked up. “I am fine” he replied.

“Really?” she posed.

Lionel nodded his head. “Really, Anto. I know it is hard for you to comprehend, but I am alright” he enthused gently. It wasn’t the first time she had asked, Antonella asked almost every time she came to visit whether or not he was alright, and he wanted to assure her that he was doing just fine by himself. “How is everything going with you and Joseph? The baby can’t be far away now” he added, gesturing to the bump that she sported beneath her shirt. It had hurt him, the idea that she had moved on so quickly after they’d ended things, but after a while, he became happy for her. She deserved to find her happily ever after.

“A couple of months” Antonella replied “How about you, is there anyone you’re interested in?” she posed.

Lionel smiled a little, but ducked his head, something which made Antonella laugh. “There is, isn’t there?” she posed.

“It’s nothing serious” he mused, waving a toy ahead of Thiago who grinned and grabbed it out of his hands.

“Leo” Antonella pushed.

“She’s a nice girl” he enthused softly “She’s very sweet, she’s got a son who’s a little on than Thiago, and I like her quite a lot” he added, the slightest hint of pink playing on his cheeks,

Antonella grinned. “Look at you, you’re all smitten” she teased.

Lionel shook his head. It had only been a week since he had met Gabriela and he didn’t want to entertain the notion that he was smitten with her, even if he did enjoy spending time with her, he didn’t want to make things serious too quickly. “I’m not smitten” he refuted gently “I mean, I like her, really like her, but I don’t want to get my hopes up too soon. She’s got an ex and from the way she talks about him, he’s an absolute pain” he explained.

Antonella nodded. “Are they newly broken up?” she posed. The last thing she wanted was Lionel to be used as a rebound.

“She won’t tell me” he replied.

“Why?” Antonella posed.

“I don’t know” Lionel noted “But I’m not going to push it. I think she’ll tell me when she wants to tell me” he added.

“You don’t think she could still have feelings for him?” Antonella posed.

Lionel shook his head. “I don’t know what he did, but he did something and the look on Gabby’s face tells me that it was pretty bad. I don’t think she has feelings for him, I think she just keeps him around for their son” he explained softly. Gabriela hadn’t said much, other than to identify him as ‘the ass’ who had picked her son up, she hadn’t said a lot about her ex, but she didn’t need to. Lionel could tell that there was something that had happened, the look on her face whenever she did mention him made it clear, and whilst he was curious about what it was, he didn’t want to push her. They were still getting to know one another and he didn’t want to appear too overbearing and frighten her off.

Antonella nodded her head slowly before a tap at the door echoed, causing Lionel to jump up, making a beeline for the door. Antonella followed him, but hung back slightly, her eyes watching as he pulled the door back to a pretty brunette.

“Gabby” he breathed “What are you doing here?” he posed.

“I wanted to give you this” Gabriela smiled, holding a takeaway coffee cup to him “I know you said it didn’t matter when I knocked out of your hand when we met, but I was out with Noah and I couldn’t resist the chance to pick one up. No milk, no sugar” she grinned.

“You made me drop my coffee a week ago” Lionel retorted, smiling.

“I know” Gabriela replied “But this was the first time I went to the coffee shop and I thought it would be nice of me. Remind me not to do that again” she tutted playfully.

Lionel chuckled and took the cup out of her hand. “Gracias, Gabby” he noted.

“You’re welcome” she cooed “I should…”

“Of course” he interjected gently “Are we still on for this weekend?” he posed, tilting his head shyly.

Gabriela sighed. “I don’t know. Elliot…”

“The ass” Lionel corrected “I don’t want to know his name” he explained.

Gabriela smiled. “The ass has to work this weekend which means I will have Noah. Unless you have a child-friendly second date in mind, I might have to take a rain check” she mused.

Lionel nodded his head, something which Antonella could tell was to mask his disappointment.

“You could have Thiago this weekend” Antonella noted, stepping forwards.

“What?” Lionel posed.

“You could have Thiago for the weekend. The pair of you could take the boys to the park or have a movie night” Antonella suggested, smiling at Gabriela who eyed her a little unsurely.

Lionel smiled at his former wife. He could tell what she was trying to do and had to admit that he was a little grateful. “Gabby, this is Antonella, my ex-wife and the mother of my son. Anto, this is Gabriela” he introduced softly.

Gabriela smiled shyly, causing Antonella to smile in return. She could already tell that she was something special.

“Would you be alright with me having Thiago?” the argentine posed.

“Of course. Joseph and I could use a weekend alone together before bump comes” Antonella grinned.

“Then I will see you Saturday” Gabriela smiled “It was nice to meet you, Antonella” she added before she padded back towards her own apartment, affording Lionel the chance to close the door.

“She’s pretty” Antonella teased, following him back towards the living room.

“I know” he replied.

“And she likes you” Antonella chirped.

“I’d like to think so” he quipped.

Antonella smiled and reached out, taking his hand. “Leo, go for it” she insisted.

“What?” the footballer retorted, his forehead scrunched up.

“Go for it, head first. She likes you, you like her, and if her smile is anything to go by, you’re not going to regret it” she enthused.

“Anto…”

“Just go for it, Leo” Antonella interrupted “Take a risk for once” she added.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)