Slow Dancing in the Darkness

73: I Need It

“I don’t think I told you just how beautiful you looked when you were making your way up that aisle” Lionel murmured into Gabriela’s ear as he held her close, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It had been a wonderful ceremony, Lionel hadn’t been able to keep his eyes off of Gabriela from the second she had entered the room, and he doubted that it could have gone better. She’d looked like a little girl on Christmas when she had stepped into the room and from the look on her face, he knew that he had done the right thing.

“You’ve mentioned it” Gabriela smiled over her shoulder at him “But I will never tire of hearing it” she added.

“Eres preciosa” he murmured, dropping a kiss below her ear “Te amo” he added.

Gabriela’s skin warmed a little before she turned on her heel, her eyes meeting his. “I really don’t know how to thank you for all of this, Leo” she noted softly. She was at a loss for words, she had been since Luca had slipped her blindfold off, and she doubted that she would ever find the right words to express just how thankful she was for what he had done. It was a wonderful gesture, the nicest one she had ever received, she doubted she could ever thank him enough for doing it for her. It was precisely what she had dreamt of when she imagined getting married.

Lionel shook his head, his hands running up and down her sides. “You don’t have to thank me” he mused with a small smile “I wanted to do it” he added.

“I still need to thank you somehow” Gabriela mused, hooking her arms around his neck “This is beautiful, perfect even, and I need to do something in return” she added.

Lionel offered her a soft shake of the head before he ducked in to kiss her, something which was cut short as David pushed the door to the private room open, offering his sister and brother-in-law a sheepish smile. “We’re kind of waiting on you two to get this party underway” he noted “Plus, Amelia’s waiting on her madre” he added.

“We’ll be right with you, Davi” Gabriela mused.

David offered them a little nod before he ducked back out of the room, allowing Lionel to steal a quick kiss from Gabriela before he took her hand. “You ready?” he mused.

“You do know that we were already married, don’t you?” Gabriela teased.

“I know” Lionel smiled “But this feels special, Ela” he reasoned.

Gabriela admired the bright expression on his face and smiled, pressing a kiss to his cheek. “It does feel special” she agreed gently “And I want to thank you for that. This day has been strange, but it’s been wonderful and that’s all on you” she enthused.

“It was nothing” Lionel smiled as he squeezed her hand.

Gabriela offered him another bright smile before she pulled him towards the door, still in awe of what he had pulled off for her.

~#~
“Have you spoken to her yet?” Joao Fernandez posed through the phone, his voice a little frustrated. He had warned his wife, after the way she had walked out on Luca and their children, it was unlikely that they’d be willing to welcome her back with open arms, but Maria had been insistent. She’d missed out on 4 weddings, 5 grandchildren, and she was done missing out on her children. She wanted to be around for them.

“Not yet” Maria replied “Her husband’s not keen on leaving her alone” she added.

“Have you spoken to him?” Joao posed.

“Briefly. He was less than receptive” Maria noted.

“Maria…”

“She’s my baby, Joao” she muttered “Her, David and Evan, and I am not going to back out now” she added.

“Perhaps you could choose another day” Joao reasoned “It’s her wedding” he added.

“Not really” Maria countered “She’s been married to husband number two for a year” she added.

Joao let out an aggrieved sigh.

“I need to do it” Maria murmured before she hung up the phone, her blue eyes wandering towards the front of the room where her daughter sat, cooing over what Maria assumed to be her granddaughter. It had taken a lot of time, after leaving, Maria hadn’t wanted to intrude on the lives of the 3 children she had left behind, but after 10 years, she hoped the wounds would have healed slightly. She had a life, she had a younger son with her husband, and she wanted her three older children to be a part of it. As heartless as leaving may have seemed, she’d never stopped loving the three of them.

~#~
“Your padre’s offered to take Noah and Amelia for the night” Lionel murmured as he swayed Gabriela to the sound of the music which hummed around the room, a small smile playing on his face.

“Your parents offered the same thing” Gabriela mused “Do you think they’re trying to tell us something?” she added with a smile.

Lionel chuckled. “I think they seem to think that I want you alone tonight” he played along.

“Do you?” Gabriela mused impishly.

“More than you can imagine” he grinned.

Gabriela giggled and placed a kiss against his lips, something which was cut short by the sound of commotion at the back of the room. Pulling away from her husband, she offered him a slightly confused look before she turned, her blue eyes spotting Lionel’s father as well as Gerard attempting to pull someone out of the room.

Carefully pulling out of Lionel’s arms, she weaved through the crowds, Lionel in hot pursuit.

“Gerard” Gabriela called “What is going on here?” she posed.

Gerard pulled away from the woman and sighed, his blue eyes offering both Lionel and Gabriela an apologetic look. “She won’t go” he murmured “She says she wanted to speak to you, Ela” he added.

Gabriela tilted her at the defender before she turned her head, her blue eyes mirroring those of the woman who stared back at her, a hopeful look on her face. “Lala” she mused.

Gabriela’s blue eyes widened.

“Lala, sweetheart” Maria noted.

Gabriela blinked before she shook her head. “You…You came here?” she spluttered.

Maria nodded, a smile on her face. “I can’t believe you’re married, Lala” she enthused.

Gabriela swallowed, trying to get rid of the lump in her throat which had formed at the sight of her mother.

“Ela” Lionel murmured, his hand reaching for hers.

“Get her out of here, Leo” she murmured, her voice strained.

“Lala…”

“Please” Gabriela murmured, turning to Lionel who nodded his head, motioning for his father and Gerard to get the other woman out of the room.

Gabriela watched the older woman go, jumping a little as Lionel placed an arm around her. “Lo siento, Ela” he murmured, kissing her temple.

Gabriela shook her head. “I don’t want to talk about her” she murmured “Let’s go and finish that dance” she added.

“Ela…”

“Please?” Gabriela interrupted.

Lionel offered her a cautious look before he nodded his head, flashing her a small smile. He had no doubt that they needed to talk about it, Gabriela’s mother’s appearance couldn’t go unnoticed, but he wanted to let her come to him. He didn’t want their day ruined by him pushing her into something she didn’t want to talk about.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)