Status: Fin.

My One Good Deed

1|1

Her mother had always told her to do good deeds for others, to be helpful and courteous, and to always be kind. It had been instilled in her being since her early childhood, and was practically her only proverb in life.

She did whatever she could for the people around her, more often than not having to go out of her way to help whoever was in need of it. Nevertheless, she didn't mind, she could only smile and tell them that it was fine, that she was happy to help, and if they needed anything else, they need only ask. She was proud to have been a helping hand, she always felt good about being there for people in their time of need, and she supposed that was what had made her keep doing it – even if there weren't many people who would help her out in return.

“I'm sorry, Lacy. The company's taken a financial hit and we're being downsized. I'm afraid we're going to have to let you go.”


The first of a string of unfortunate events seemed to be the biggest one, Lacy having lost her office job and only source of income in a few seconds flat.

“I'm sorry, Ms. Rivers, but with no previous experience, I'm afraid I can't hire you.”


Lacy, while facing rejection, still did her best to keep a positive outlook on things. It would all get better – it had to. Things always did. However, for now, she'd have to keep searching for a new job – anything she could do to make ends meet – and she figured that she'd simply have to give up on entertaining the idea of being a waitress.

“Lacy, I can't have you be late on your rent. What will the other tenants think? Soon everybody will be asking me for extensions. If ya can't pay, you're going to have to move out.”


Mr. Jackson hadn't always been the nicest of land lords, Lacy had known that much when she had first moved into the apartment complex, but as she had known him so long and done so much for him, Lacy had thought – had hoped – that somehow she would earn some leeway with him, at least enough to find a job and give him part of the rent and the rest at a later date. After hearing what he had to say though, she could only nod and promise to move out with her things as soon as it was possible to do so.

“Lacy, is that you? I'm sorry, I can't hear anything! I'm out with some friends clubbing.”


Violet Bates had been Lacy's best friend for years now. Lacy had helped Violet get out her personal ruts numerous times, had stood by her throughout everything that she had gone through – from losing her mom, her job, and even her own place, and helped her get back on her feet. Their friendship was strong, and Lacy knew that even with everything else crumbling around her, this would be one of the few things that wouldn't.

“What? You want to stay over? Lacy, you can't! I'm bringing someone home tonight and it'd be awkward having you there, you know? You understand, don't you?”


Violet had hung up without further notice, and Lacy had never thought that the sound of a payphone dial tone could sound so friendly before, her pen silently scratching off the final name of people from her old phone's contact list that she thought she might be able to bunk with for a while.

“Hey, lady. Do you got a nickel or what?”


The local mini-mart employee was growing frustrated with Lacy who was double checking every pocket on her person, searching for a nickel to pay him what was still left for the small ramen cup of food. The people in line behind her were growing irritated and impatient, tapping their feet and grumbling about how she was too poor to even pay for the two dollar cup of noodles. Looking distraught and ready to cry, the man promptly dismissed her.

“If you ain't got the money, then get out before I call the cops.”


She left dejectedly after taking back the bit of change she had left to her name, sitting down on the curb a bit away from the store as to not be seen by them. She hung her head and let the tears stream down her face freely, no longer caring about holding them back or even wanting to for that matter, and the sky seemed to join her, large droplets of water falling from the clouds above as the weather took a turn for the worse on that chilly, December night.

What had she done to deserve living like this? She had lost her job, her home, her so-called “friends”, had sold everything she could to earn money, but now she wasn't even able to afford a single thing to eat. Lacy had done so much for people, had gone out of her way to be there for others, had listened to her mother's words – and for what? To now live hopelessly with barely two dollars to her name?

Where was her happiness? Where was her one good deed?

“Excuse me, Miss?”

Her frail body jumped in surprise, her head slowly turning upwards to see who had called her, afraid of who it might be – afraid of what they might want. “Yes?”

Lacy got a good look of him, and the first thing she noticed was that he was young – around her age even, and good looking. He had blonde hair that, because of the rain, was askew and beginning to drip with the rainwater, and the wet weather seemed to bring out the best of his green eyes, the night making them a deeper hue than they probably were, while the business suit that he wore was becoming damp from the onslaught of droplets, but he didn't seem to mind or care in the least bit as he stared down at her with concern.

“My name is Peter Chase,” he began, “would you mind if I bought you a meal to eat?”

In a shaky, soft voice, hesitantly she replied, “Lacy Rivers; and are you sure?” She was starving – that much was true, but she still couldn't help but feel bad that he was going out of his way for her. It was just something that was ingrained into her.

He smiled, extending his hand out to her and nodding firmly. “Yes, Lacy. I would love to take you out to eat.”

Her wet hand took his warm, dry one, tears spilling over her cheeks as she nodded, murmuring her grateful thanks numerous times as he helped her up from the curb of the road. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around her, unconcerned with the bit of dirt that had accumulated on her skin and clothes, before leading her to his car and helping her inside.

Lacy enjoyed not only the first hot meal that she'd had in a while, but also the company of Peter who was the first person to do a really great deed for her.

Image


“Lacy, now it's time for you to say your vows to Peter,” the priest smiled.

“Peter, you came into my life from no where. I was at my lowest and you offered me a meal. While you might have thought you were just feeding me, for me, you were offering me more than a meal – you were offering me a second shot. You gave me the hope I needed to feel to pick myself back up again, and I don't know where I would be without you or your kindness. Your kind heart is the thing I love most about you because that was what helped me and it makes you who you are. I vow to make you happy for the rest of your life. I vow to love you every day that we're together, even on the days that we're not. And I vow to be with you always, standing by your side and helping you whenever you need it, to lift you up in good times and the bad – just like you've always done for me.”

A pair of glittering rings were exchanged, tears of happiness cascading down her cheeks like the diamonds on her ring, and as they looked to one another, the priest blessed them as they shared their first embrace as a married couple.

“Thank you for being my one good deed.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Even though it's super cheesy, I really like the thought of Peter being the guy to love Lacy.