You're My Cure

Chapter 15

*3 years later*

Not only was I tired, I was exhausted. Catching 2 hours of sleep per night wasn't enough for me. I was used to sleep for a minimum of 10 hours and now I barely could get 2. It was so hard for me to handle, but it was for a good cause, a really good one. I just prayed that life would finally let me rest a little more so I could finally get a good night of sleep. I soon realized that it wasn't going to happen when I closed my eyes and heard the loud sounds of a baby crying and screaming from the room next to mine. I should have known this would happen since the last time the baby ate was 3 hours ago. I groaned knowing that I could say goodbye to my beauty sleep. I went to get out of bed when my husband grabbed my wrist,laying me back down on it.

''Do you want me to take care of her Kels?'' My husband asked in a low voice. ''You're exhausted, you should take some rest.''

''No it's fine, go back to sleep baby. You need it more than I do,'' I answered.

''Are you sure? You're always the one who's waking up to take care of her. I want to help as well,'' he added.

''I'm sure. You have to go to work early in the morning while I don't. You need to rest, I'll take care of her. Don't worry, it is ok. But thanks for offering, I love you,'' I said.

My husband nodded and gave me a small peck on the cheek before he drifted back to sleep. I looked at him and felt so happy to have him in my life. I felt so happy to call him my husband and to spend the rest of my life with him by my side. A lot has happened in our lives in those last three years and I wouldn't have it any other way. I was as happy as humanly possible. I had the perfect that life that I have always wanted. I had the perfect that I wanted with Vic. I smiled before getting out of our bed and making my way to our little girl's room. She was still screaming and crying like the little devilish angel that she was. She could be a really little ogre when she was starving. She was just like her two fathers. I took her in my arms and walked towards the kitchen where I grabbed an already prepared bottle of milk. I was smart enough to always prepare some extra ones so it would be easier to feed her when she was hungry since Vic wasn't home most of the time.

I sat in the recliner of our living room along with my beautiful Ellie. She immediately shut up as I started feeding her. It wasn't always easy to take care of her, but I loved her to death. She was one of my two persons that I loved the most in the entire world, the other one being Vic. I couldn't believe that I was a father, it still felt so unreal even if Ellie has been in our lives for 3 months now. She was the most precious and beautiful baby girl in the entire world. Three years ago, never would I have thought that I would be a father. Never would I have thought that I would have my own little family with Vic. Three years ago, I used to be a mess. I used to be a loser who wasn't doing anything great with his life. I was an alcoholic who only complained about how horrible his life was. I didn't have a job and sure wasn't looking for one. I dropped out of school and never intended to finish my degree. But things changed when Vic and I found our way back to each other. He saved me, he came back in my life at the right time. Because of him, my life now has a purpose and he helped me who I am today.

Vic and I got married a few month after he proposed to me at my mother's funerals. The wedding was amazing, probably the best day of my life. Only person missing was my mother, but I knew that she was watching me from wherever she was and that she was proud of her little boy. She wanted me to be happy and I finally was. I couldn't have been any happier to get married to the love of my life. Vic's family and friends were there along with some new and old friends of mine. It was Vic who convinced me to contact my old friends. It was a great idea because I really missed them and I learned that they missed me too. They apologized for abandonning me when I needed them the most and I forgave them. I didn't want to stay mad at them forever. I sure wished that they wouldn't have done that, but I understood that I wasn't the easiest person to be around back then. I was just happy that where there now and they got to assist to my wedding. I was happy that they got to assist to the most beautiful and romantic even that would ever happen in my life.

After our wedding, Vic and I moved to a bigger place. With the money that we saved, we decided to buy a small house in the outskirts of town. We were a little tired of our old appartment and wanted something bigger that could allow us to adopt some kids in the future. It was a two stories house with a big backyard and many flowers and trees. It would be perfect for our kids. They would have a lot of space to play outside and have hun. This was our new home, the home where Vic and I would grow old together. It was the home that held our bright future that Vic and I couldn't wait to discover. Everything was going just fine between Vic and I, our relationship couldn't have been any better and stronger. We were madly in love with each other and it would always remain that way. For now it was. As the day passed, the more in love I was with Vic and the more I realized how perfect he was. He was the boy of my dreams, my infinite love, my everything.

A few months later, I decided to go back to school and finish my degree in Chemistry. Again, it was Vic who convinced me to do so. He didn't force me, he just gave me valid arguments. He knew how I loved chemistry and always dreamed to be a chemist back when we were in high school. And I still wanted to be one. That was how I found my way back to University after all those years of doing pretty much nothing with my life. I was finally going to get my diploma and have a job that I would love. As for Vic, things were going better and better with his art. He was making more and more money with it. He was meant to be an artist just as much as he was meant to be with me. He was an amazing painter and I couldn't have been more proud of him. He was offered to do the decor of some musical on Broadway. It was such a great opportunity and Vic of course took it. It was just the beggining of his beautiful career. Maybe one day, my husband would be known as one of the best artists of his generation. No matter what would happen, I would always be proud of him just as he would always be proud of me.

A year and a couple of months later, I finally finished my degree. I was officially a chemist. I was so proud of what I accomplished, I was so happy with who I've turned out to be. I wasn't a big loser anymore. I wasn't the guy who would never do anything good with his life anymore. I was finally going to live the life that I deserved and it truly made me happy and proud. But nobody could have been prouder of me than my one and only, Vic. At the ceremony where I received my diploma, he clapped and cheered for me so loudly when my name was called. He even walked on the stage so he could kiss me in front of hundreds of people. But I didn't care, I simply enjoyed the kiss. He sure made my graduation a whole lot better. Vic excused himself to the director making lots of people laugh before he walked back to his seat. He simply was the best. He was my little dork that I loved with everything that I had in me.

Did Vic and I totally stopped drinking? No. But we weren't alcoholics anymore. We didn't drink to chase away the pain anymore. We didn't need that poison to make us feel better when we had each other. Because of the support group that we attended, we were now perfectly capable to control the urges. We were perfectly able not to drink too much when we did. Vic and I enjoyed drinking a beer or two in special occasions but it never went further than that. Never were we going to let alcohol control our lives again. We deserved better than that. We deserved better than this poison that, at one point in our lives, ruined us and destroyed a part of us. We now knew what to do when we felt down and depressed. We knew that turning to alcohol wasn't the solution. We didn't know it before, but we now did. And never have we felt more free. Free of this drink that was so bad for our health, free of this drink that only made the pain worst once its effects faded away in the morning, free of this drink that once was our one and only friend.

Finally, Vic and I adopted our beautiful Ellie 3 months ago. It took a lot of time before we could actually adopt a baby. The first agency that we visited was a terrible one. They wouldn't let us adopt a kid since Vic and I were an homosexual couple. They said that it wouldn't be right for a kid to grow up without a mother. Weren't we in 2015? I was beyond pissed off and so was Vic. They didn't care if we would make good parents or not. They just didn't like us because we were two men, not a man and a woman. Thankfully, we found another agency. This one didn't care if we were two men. All that mattered to them was our capacities to be good parents or not. So, after a few months of meetings, visits and evaluations, we got a call from the agency saying that they finally had a baby for us to adopt. They found that we were very great men and that we would make excellent parents. They said that they could see that we truly loved each other and that that we could give as much love to our child. And that was how Ellie came in our lives. She was only a month old when we adopted her.

Those three years flew by so fast. I now had a job in one of the most prestigious laboratory of the Californian state, Vic was now doing some decor for popular movies and Ellie was now 4 months old. Our lives were truly perfect. Some would say they weren't, but they were to us. I must have been really lost in my thoughts because Ellie's bottle was almost empty. A few minutes later, she was done. I sat her up on my thighs, tapping her back so she would burp. Once that was done, I laughed a little. She always made the cutest and funniest sounds. I rocked her a few minutes until she fell asleep in my arms. I stood up from the recliner and slowly walked towards Ellie's room and placed her delicately in her cradle. I made sure she was still asleep before going to my own room where I would catch a few minutes of sleep before she would wake up again. As soon as I layed in bed, Vic wrapped in arm around me and kissed the back of my neck. I turned around so I could face him and his beautiful face.

''Did I wake you up baby?'' I whispered.

''No, I was waiting for you,'' Vic replied.

''But you need to sleep Vic,'' I said.

''Not as much as I need you by my side. I need my cure,'' Vic added.

''I need my cure too, you're my cure,'' I replied.

Vic kissed me tenderly. After all those years, I still felt those butterflies in my belly everytime his lips were on mine. That was true love, a love that would last for a lifetime and more. This is what a cure does to you. It makes you feel incredible things. It brings you up when you're down. It chases away your problems when you think they'll never go away. And most of all, it loves you unconditionally. Love can touch us one time and last for a lifetime. And never let go till we're gone