You're My Cure

Chapter 8

After the group session where Vic told me Alex cheated on him leading them to break up for good, he and I have been texting each other all the time, day and night. It felt great to have someone to talk to, to have a friend like Vic. I've gone years without having anyone to talk to except my mother. I've been wishing to have someone who I could tell all my deepest secrets. After years of being on my own, life finally made my wish came true by bringing Vic in my life. Even though he was filled with sadness, he was still the same old Vic that I used to know. He was still the same guy that I fell in love with, the same guy with a gigantic heart and a beautiful soul. It was now so much easier to have him back in my life. I didn't feel any pain while texting to him or talking to him anymore. It just felt natural and right...like it was our destiny to find our way back to each other.

Vic and I would text each other mostly at night. Vic would text me everytime he had the urge to drink. Talking to me was distracting him and helping him. We would just text random things to each other or he would call me when the urges were bigger. There were nights where he would send S.O.S messages once while there were nights where he would send them thrice. He really wanted the poison, but he knew he couldn't. From what he told me, even though he felt like drinking dozens of bottles of Vodka, Vic didn't swallow a single drop of alcohol that week. I was very proud of him and I knew that it wasn't easy for him. He was resisting the temptation that his breakup caused. He was fighting like a warrior, a beautiful warrior. As for me, I was feeling better. I didn't have the urge to drink, nothing bad happened in my life recently to make me want to drink. Now that I had a friend, I knew that things would be better, like they used to be.

My mother seemed very happy to see my old smile coming back on my face. She was relieved because all she ever wanted was for me to be okay...and I was on my way there. I didn't tell her that it was because of Vic because she would have been mad. She saw me depressed for years because of that guy who was now my cure. She wouldn't be happy and she mostly would be scared. She would be afraid that Vic would cause me pain again and that I would be broken all and over again. My mother always was very protective of me and I knew that she wouldn't want Vic to be part of my life again. That was why I didn't tell about him. I just said that I met someone at group support and that we became great friends. It was the truth, I just forgot to mention who that guy was. That was why I told my mom that I was going to hang at my friend's house before going to group support instead of telling her that I was going to Vic's.

Vic and I decided to hang out a little before group support. He told me that he got this new videogame and that I basically was his only friend who loved videogames. I was flattered that he remembered. I haven't played them in years, but I was not going to miss the occasion to spend some time with Vic. I made my way to Vic's place, that place that once was mine as well. Nothing much changed except that the appartment building was now painted in blue instead of gray. It brought back so many memories and suprisingly, it didn't hurt. It just felt good to remember them, knowing that those things happened. I still remembered which appartment was Vic so I walked up the stairs until I reached the right floor. I walked in the hall until I reached his door and knocked. The door opened a few seconds later, revealing and happy but tired Vic.

''Hey Kels, come on in,'' Vic said as he let me enter.

Everything was the same. The walls were still of the same colour, the furnitures were all still at the same place, there was still this hole in the wall above the couch, etc. It was like I never left, that time never went by. It felt good being there. Even though Vic and I were not together, it felt good to be back in that place with him. It was the place where I felt the most secure with him in the past, and I knew that it would remain the same for our future together, as friends or more if life ever wanted to make me happy.

''Nothing changed, and it still smells the same. Wow,'' I mentionned as I sat on the couch.

''Yeah, I know. I never felt like changing stuff, I like my appartment the way it is. So, how are you doing today?'' Vic asked.

''I'm doing great I think, more than I used to. What about you? How are you feeling today?'' I answered.

''I've been better. Let's just say that I didn't catch much sleep. I was fighting the urge to drink. I was doing great when we were talking on the phone, but all the bad thoughts came back when we hung up. So yeah, I resisted the temptation but it was really hard. At least I did, and it makes me happy,'' Vic replied.

''You should have called me, even though it was 3 in the morning. I'm here for you if you need me okay? But I'm glad you didn't drink, I'm proud of you. So, care to show me that famous new game?'' I said.

''You're nice, thanks Kellin. And sure, get ready to lose,'' Vic replied.

''We'll see about that, loser,'' I added.

That was how our 3 hours gaming marathon started. The game was awesome. It wasn't that new because I've heard about it before and never had the chance to play. It was called Super Smash Bros and we played on Vic's Wii U console. I thought I would be very bad, but I wasn't. I've always been good at video games and I didn't lost that talent, if you could considered it as a talent. Vic and I played around 20 matches and I must have won 15 of them. I owed it all to Kirby, that fat little pink guy. I would only use one of his attacks and it was good enough to kill Vic all the time. He would use Olimar which I thought was the worst character of the game. But who was I to judge when I was playing as Kirby.

''Who's the best now? Tell me!'' I said happily.

''Fine, you are. Happy now?'' Vic replied.

''Very happy,'' I added. ''So there is one hour left before we head to group support. What should we do?''

''Let's play Truth or Dare!'' Vic proposed.

''Are we 13 or something?'' I replied laughing.

''More like 12,'' Vic teased. ''Come on, it will be fun. Remember how we used to play all the time when we were younger. Please, Kels, please do this for me.''

I did remember, Vic and I used to play that game all the time when we were bored. The game never last very long because we always ended up in a bed doing great things God would not approve. It would start and sweet and end sexy and nasty. It was a great time and I would never forget about it, never. Maybe it was a sign, maybe we had to play it once more.

''It sure was fun. Okay, let's play then. I'll go firt. Truth or Dare?'' I asked.

''Truth,'' Vic answered.

''Who was best in bed? Alex or me?'' I asked to make him uncomfortable.

''Well this is very akward...eum, you I guess,'' Vic replied nervously. ''Okay your turn, truth or dare?''

''Truth,'' I said. I was a chicken who never picked dare. It always made Vic mad, but I loved how he couldn't fake being mad at me. It was cute.

''Do you still hate me...?'' Vic asked sadly.

''I never hated you. I know I made you think I did, but I never hated you. I made myself believe that I hated you, but I was lying to myself. Sure, I was sad, angry and everything...but I could never hate you. And all the bad things I thought about you are in the past now. If they weren't, I wouldn't be in your appartment, sitting on your couch playing Truth or Dare, would I? Don't worry Vic, you're my friend now and I don't hate you. I care about you,'' I answered.

Vic nodded and gave my hand a small squeeze. He looked at me in the eyes and I could see fear and sadness into them, and I knew why those feelings were showing. He was scared that I would leave him. Even though he had other friends, I was the only person Vic talked to after Alex and him broke up. He was afraid to lose me like he lost Alex. I gave him a small smile and wrapped my arms around him to hug him. He wrapped his around me as well and we remained like that for a few minutes, just giving each other some comfort. This scene was so familiar, and it felt so right. It felt better than anything that happened in so long.

''Thanks for being there,'' Vic whispered as we stopped hugging each other.

''You're welcome. Want to keep playing?'' I replied. Vic nodded and gave me a smile, a genuine smile.

''Truth or Dare?'' I wondered.

''Dare,'' he said.

I had to ask it. I knew I was going to regret it and that it could cause me a lot of pain. My head told me not to, but my heart told me to. It was all or nothing. It could make me happy or sad, but it was worth the risk. I could lose Vic forever by saying this, but it was all I could think about. I couldn't think of an other dare, it was the only one that I had in mind and it wouldn't go away. In fact, I was hoping that Vic would say dare because I've been thinking about it since the game started. I had to let it all out, I just had to. I took a deep breath before opening my mouths and speaking the words that could change everything.

''Kiss me,'' I demanded.

Vic looked at me and didn't move. I could see shock in his eyes, he wasn't speaking at all. I ruined everything. He obviously didn't want to kiss me. I was stupid enough to think that he would want to. I waited for a few seconds in the hopes that he would do something, or at least say something but he didn't. I felt my eyes wattered, I couldn't stay there any longer. I went to stand up, but Vic grabbed my arm, sitting me back down on the couch. Before I knew it, his lips were on mine. He was actually kissing.

I kissed him back and I felt those butterflies I thought were dead in the bottom of my stomach. The kiss was first sweet and slow and it was awesome. It was how it used to be. Vic's lips felt the same on mine, tasted the same. I thought the kiss would end there, but it didn't. I felt Vic's tongue on my bottom lip, begging me to let it discover my mouth. Our tongues were fighting for dominance, Vic winning the battle easily. I could feel my heart beat so fast, it was filled with love. Love that never faded away after all those years. We kissed for minutes until we had to reach for air. Vic looked at me and smiled, not showing any signs of regrets.

''That was...wow,'' Vic said.

''Yeah it was,'' I confirmed.

''I-I can't believe that I ever let you go,'' Vic added.

''Please win me back,'' I begged.

''I will,'' he replied.

And we kissed again until we had to go to our weekly meeting. I never thought that this support group would help me get better. I found help in there, I found a cure. But my cure wasn't the wise words of our therapist or all the documents that it made us read. My cure was another boy who was also searching for his cure. My cure was Vic Fuentes, the one who used to be my poison. He was the cure to his own poison and I was never going to let him go.