Riptide.

But you can call me up at twenty after midnight

“First things first, ALCOHOL!” Makayla announces and even before Brody can park she’s rushing out of the car and racing towards the bar.

“That girl certainly loves to party.” I laugh as I watch my tiny blonde haired friend all but jump the guy at the bar and order a drink. “I’ve never met someone quite like her.”

“Please you and The Pistol could easily drink her under the table,” Brody chuckles as he kills the engine. “I remember you two were twice as bad as Makayla.”

“We were also younger too.” I add. “After that summer all of us grew up. I can’t even tell you the last time I drank for the sole purpose of getting shit faced. Honestly it was probably that last night.”

“That was seriously the best and worst day ever.” He sighs. “I still think about that party all the time. Like I said best and worst memory ever.”

“Yea,” I sigh. “At least there is a time for second chances.” I smile at him. “Who would have thought 8 years later we would be back in each other’s lives?”

“I looked you up on Facebook so many times but I couldn’t force myself to hit that add button,” Brody admits. “But I’m so glad you managed to find yourself back in my life.”

“Fate has a funny way of working, doesn’t it?” I ask. “That summer has always been a fond memory. Every time I’d feel alone, I would think about that summer. That summer inspired me to leave New York and escape. And it’s just funny that I managed to move to the town you’re from. It was like Fate wanted us to be together once more.”

“And we wouldn’t want to disappoint Fate would we?” He smirks. I’m about to say something else when a familiar face walks up towards us; instantly pulling Brody into a hug. “Cash! It feels like it’s been forever. How was Texas?”

“Mom is doing the same. Dad is drinking more and my idiot brothers have no idea how to keep the family together.” He shrugs before looking at me, a smirk forming on his lips. “What’s up New York? You make your destination or is this just a stopping point?”

“I’ve made my destination.” I smile. “I’m Ali by the way.”

“Cash.” He smiles. “Is my boy Brody treating you right or will I have to show him how we handle disrespect down in Texas?”

I can’t help but to laugh. “Brody is an old friend. He’s treating me just fine. Don’t worry. But if he does treat me badly, you’ll be the first one I notify.”

“Old friend, huh?” He asks, smirking as he looks at the two of us. “This wouldn’t be the New York socialite that you had a thing for when I first met you.” Cash’s smirk only grows when Brody starts blushing, earning a chuckle from the two of us. “She knows how to surf right?”

“Yea, I know my way around a board.” I reply. “That’s actually how we got to know each other. He helped me and my friends get a little better and more comfortable on the board.”

“New York has to come out with us one morning then!” Cash exclaims. “Let’s see if she can truly hang with the boys.”

“She works for Zara in the morning,” Brody tells Cash. “We’ll have to talk the ol’ lady into allowing us to kidnap her new employee.”

“Z loves us!” Cash counters. “She’ll let us do whatever we want just as long as Ali comes back in one piece.” As the boys continue to plan our surfing adventure, I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I pull my phone out and see Aria calling me.

“While you guys are planning that, I’m going to take this call.” I tell them. “It’s my sister and she’s just getting settled in L.A. She’s probably homesick.” They nod their heads as I walk away, answering the call. “What’s up baby sister? How’s L.A treating you?”

“S-s-something happened.” Her voice is shaking. “I know it’s a drive to get here but can you come up. I need my big sister….”

“Ari, what happened?” I ask her, worried. “Please tell me what happened?”

“I rather tell you in person with a bottle of Rose and a pint of Cherry Garcia.” She sighs. “Can you come up?”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can.” We say goodbye and I walk over to the boys, earning a look from both.

“I need to leave.” I tell them. “Something happened to Aria and she needs me to come up to L.A.”

“What happened?” Both of them ask, instantly going to protective boy mode.

“She wouldn’t say but she seems pretty shaken up.” I sigh. “I’d hate for you to leave the party early so I’m just going to Uber home and get my car.”

“Fuck my party the two of you leave and get to your sister.” Cash orders. “I’ll keep an eye on our tiny blonde friend. Just make sure your little sister is okay. And call me when you get there.” Both of us say our goodbyes before walking towards the car.

“Your sister could just be homesick.” Brody states, trying to make me feel better. “But if something happened to her, I’ll find out who hurt her and make them pay. I promise. No one fucks with my friends’ families.”

“Thanks.” I offer a weak smile. “Let’s just get to L.A and pray that nothing serious happened…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title credit: Lullaby Singer by Anna Nalick.

comment&subscribe?