Riptide.

I need some summer sun to come and wake me up

“Makayla!” Was the first thing we hear as we arrive onto the beach. Makayla laughs as a white male with dreadlocks comes running towards us. Usually when white boys dread their hair, I find it disgusting but this time I find it fitting. It really suits him.

“Hendrix!” Makayla laughs as he pulls her into a hug. “How have you been? It seems like I rarely see you anymore.”

“I’ve been working at the grow houses,” he responds as he pulls away from the young blonde. “My product is in demand in various medical clubs; this is like a dream come true!”

“I’m so happy for you,” Makayla smiles before grabbing my wrist and pulling me closer to the pair. “Hendrix, this is Ali. She’s new here; she took over for Zoey at Zara’s.”

“So I can finally come back without that bitter bitch working,” Hendrix laughs. “Finally, I miss hanging out there and that’s the only place that has the endless mimosa deal that isn’t too expensive.”

“And they’re worth it too,” Gracie informs him. “Ali certainly knows her way around a mimosa.” While everyone laughs, I can’t help but to smile. I’ve only been here a couple days and it already feels like home.

“So Ali,” Hendrix starts as he gives me his full attention while all of us head over to the bar area of the party, “where are you from originally? I grew up in California and you’re not a Cali girl.”

“I grew up in Manhattan, New York.” I reply.

“Trust-fund girl then,” he laughs and I’m not sure if it’s a kind laugh or not. “Let me guess, you came out here to gain independence from mommy and daddy. You are sick of them treating you like a child but you didn’t get something you wanted because they told you no. All you girls are the same.”

“Yea, I’m a trust-fund kid,” I calmly say. “But they didn’t give me everything. Everything I had I worked for. The only thing that was handed to me was my apartment and I only got that because of my inheritance that I got because my grandfather died. I worked to get my scholarship for NYU. I worked my ass off to keep a 4.0 GPA constantly. I worked my ass off to get my residency at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital. So yes, I came from money and went to the best schools in New York. But don’t for a second believe I’m like those other girls.”

“So answer me this, why are you here?”

“I felt like I was suffocating in New York. There is so much pressure to be perfect when you’re from one of the richest families. My family isn’t one of those Nouveau riche families; we’re old money. So there is pressures that the newer generation has to face. And since my father never had any sons, the pressures fell upon me and my sisters. One followed in the footsteps of my mother and became a socialite. So the pressure fell upon me and whatever I did wasn’t enough. Year after year, stuff like that gets to you. So I quit my residency and moved far away. I move away from the media, the pressures and the life I grew up in.”

“Wow, I didn’t know.” He quietly says. “I’m sorry for judging you.”

“I’m sorry for yelling at you.” I apologize too. “This isn’t how I usually am.”

“I’m not usually judgy either,” Hendrix laughs a kind of laugh that shakes his dreadlocks a bit. “How about we start over and I get you a drink?”

“Make me a Screwdriver and all is forgiven.” He smiles before runs off to get me my drink.

“Wow, you shut up Hendrix really quickly.” Gracie laughs. “He’ll usually keep argueing with you. What changed?”

“I don’t know, maybe he saw that I wasn’t your typical trust-fund kid.” I shrug, chuckling a bit.

“He’s originally from, L.A,” she informs me. “He dated a couple girls that lived off of mommy and daddy’s money and got his heart broken one too many times; that’s probably why he was so hostile.”

“That’s understandable,” I state, “generalizing is so much easier than risking getting yourself hurt.”

“I’m sure the other guys here won’t be like your ex,” Gracie assures me. “They’re good ol’ boys. Respectful. At least the ones I always deal with are.”

“Care to give me names?” I chuckle.

“You met Hendrix Mathers, our local modern day hippie. He grows marijuana for local medical clubs. It’s a project close to his heart.” Gracie begins introducing the guys. “Second guy is Cash. Not much is known about him. All we know is he owns The Oasis, teaches surfing and is from Texas. I’m not even sure if Cash is his real name.”

“And yet you still trust him?”

“With my life,” she smiles. “He’s a real good guy. He came to my rescue a couple times when guys were giving me unwanted attention. He’s a modern day knight on a white horse. And the last guy we’re always hanging out with is Brody Daniels.”

I bite my lower lip in thought. That name sounds so familiar, I wonder why. “Why do I know that name?”

“It’s a popular name?” Gracie shrugs, “or maybe it’s because Brody is this world class surfer. He know a couple contest and made a career out of being a typical Cali boy. He recently retired to move back here to help his dad with the local surf shop.”

“He’s originally from here?”

Gracie nods with a smile on her lips, “and he’s very proud of it. He may have lived in every beach town in California but Solana Beach will forever and always be home to him.”

“He sounds like an awesome guy,” I admit to her. “When can I meet him?”

“Right now,” she laughs, “Makayla is dragging him right this way.” She says pointing behind me. I turn around and sure enough the tiny blonde is pulling a 6’3 man with very visible muscles. You can hear him laughing a very contagious and as he gets closer, I can start remembering why the name Brody Daniels.

“Brody this is the girl I was telling you about,” Makayla smiles as she stops right in front of us. “This is---”

“Ali Danvers,” he smiles wide as he looks at me. “Wow, you look amazing.”

“You guys know each other?” Both Makayla and Gracie say in unison.

“Yea in a previous life,” I smile as Brody comes and pulls me into a hug. This feels so foreign yet so comfortable and something that was 8 years overdue...
♠ ♠ ♠
Ali

chapter title credit: California Sunrise by Dirty Gold.

So how do you think Brody and Ali know each other? Any guesses? And I know Hendrix sounds like a dick but his relationship with Ali is going to change.

comment&subscribe?